Adult Hoggie Shedding Cycle - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-12-2007, 04:53 AM   #1
Razaiel
Adult Hoggie Shedding Cycle

I wondered how often adult westerns shed. My other snakes tend to shed once every 2-3 months and they are 2 years old. My female hoggie though I don't know how old she is as I bought her as an adult - I have had her for 2 years now and she has only shed once Could this to be linked to age?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
99Vengeur
I'm not sure if it's linked to age. I have had my male for 15 months and he has shed twice for me. My female has shed 4-6 times in the same amount of time. They are both the same age.

I guess the question will be "Do you have the proper temperature and humidity?"

Old 09-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Nyoka77
hmm...i've had my hoggie for a year and a half..she wasn't eating in the begining so she only shed about 3 times in a year, but now shes sheds almost every month since the start of summer...Is your hog eating enough? How big is she?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #4
Razaiel
She's 3 ft almost - a large female. Her humidity's fine - I believe they don't need too high a humidity (like boas and pythons). I live in the UK so normal humidity is often around 40-50%.

She eats regularly.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
ladyserpent7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Vengeur
I'm not sure if it's linked to age. I have had my male for 15 months and he has shed twice for me. My female has shed 4-6 times in the same amount of time. They are both the same age.

I guess the question will be "Do you have the proper temperature and humidity?"

but then again, males dont grow as large as females do, so it could just be that shes an adult, and what ive noticed, in the summer they shed more.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
99Vengeur
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyserpent7
but then again, males dont grow as large as females do, so it could just be that shes an adult, and what ive noticed, in the summer they shed more.
Right, but if this were linked to age, then wouldn't it make sense for her female to have shed more than once in the past 2 years.

I suppose it may not be an age correlation, but more a growth-health relationship. For example, my female was growing like no tomorrow, therefore she shed more times than my male who was growing very slowly. If her female is no longer growing (because she is an adult), or at least not very much, then it would go to say that she probably won't shed every couple months.

Now, this is all just speculation based on what I have read and observed. Granted, I'm sure there are copious amounts of other factors that would play into this shedding equation (temp, humidity, etc.).

Old 09-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
Nyoka77
Does anyone else's hog go into complete 'hibernation' while they are in the process of sheding and right after they shed have an unbelievable amount of energy? My hog has been trying to get out of her cage for the past two days. Heating is the same and she doesn't seem to be hungry! Maybe shes making up for loss of exercise? haha

Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
ladyserpent7
mine does do that...i think its because they dont want to be bothered...and theyr are definitely more self-conscious because they cant see. Mine didnt eat after her sheds for a while, but now...she gulps them down in 2 secs flat. Also, try waiting a few days after they shed to feed. That might help.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
99Vengeur
The other day, my male just shed for the 3rd time in 17 months.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:53 AM   #10
Razaiel
On a UK forum I'm on one of the people there who keeps and breeds them says the adults are one of those type of snake that don't shed as frequently as other snakes. If mine's a once-a-year shedder it should be any time now ...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!