Sneezing Alligator - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Crocodilian Discussion Forum

Notices

Crocodilian Discussion Forum This section is for discussions pertaining to any and all topics concerning crocodilians.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
ohio3ee1
Sneezing Alligator

I was watching my alligator sneeze not stop for a couple of minutes. I am guessing he is doing it quite a bit. The room temp is around 75-80 degrees with the water at 80 degrees. It did get cold for him one night because of a blown fuse in our fuse box and temps got down to 40ish, but that was over a week ago and this is the first time I have heard him sneeze.

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
I'm no crocodilian expert, but unless you have some basking area somewhere in that enclosure that gets somewhere between 90'-100'F, I'd say your lil gator is a tad cold and that may be causing a URI, thus sneezing.

Again, no expert, but just calling it as I see based on what I know of other reptile husbandry.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Michael Brown
No expert in gators, but if you had a cold night, and he's sneezing/weezing think about getting him checked for an URI.

There are many broad spec AB's that can be used to treat it with really good results. pm me for any questions hope I helped

Old 06-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Rattlesnake
It certainly sounds like the Gator has an URI as a result of the cold temps on that one night.
Does your Gator have access to direct sunlight?
That is very important for their well being.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
CA lawyers
haven't heard it yet..

Old 07-10-2010, 04:47 AM   #7
Adam Kirk
A sneezing alligator? Alligators are extremely hardy and can handle cold cold temps very very well in my personal experienced opinion. My gator during the winter stays in a non heated area the duration of the winter. All I provide is two 250 watt red heat lights about 3 to 4 feet from the gator. According to the temps on the thermometers in the room anywhere but under that light it could very well get below freezing. He is very dormant most of the winter staying in one spot. My gator can easily do fine over the winter here with just his two 250 watt red heat lights. One of those heat lights is set to a timer which only kicks on during the coldest overnight hours. I dont know exactly how cold your alligator got but I have been told by well educated people that as long as his body temperature stays above freezing he will be fine. This has so far proven to be true with my gator. Sorry for the late response but I didnt even know a crocodilian part of the forum existed. Hope this helps someone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!