Curious about Blood Pythons. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
ShesCountry89
Talking Curious about Blood Pythons.

I've been researching blood pythons for a bit here, and I'm just looking to hear from anyone who has had, or currently has a blood python how they are? Personal experience with them, temperment, best cage size? I've have ball pythons, and have had 9ft red tail boas in the past. Are they pretty easy to handle?

Old 07-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
hhmoore
Bloods are great snakes, though they have a reputation for being ill tempered (some would say evil). IMO, the reputation hails from the days of imported adults...as a rule, they fit the stereotype. However, I have also gotten 3-4 ft fresh imports...and gotten them workable (it was a process, and some were more predictable than others - but all were easily readable, so all that was required was a little attention to cues/signals). Dealing with CB animals puts you several steps ahead of the game, especially if you purchase them from somebody that handles them a bit. (Like many baby pythons, though, young bloods can lash out.)

Old 07-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Buckeyebloods
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Bloods are great snakes, though they have a reputation for being ill tempered (some would say evil). IMO, the reputation hails from the days of imported adults...as a rule, they fit the stereotype. However, I have also gotten 3-4 ft fresh imports...and gotten them workable (it was a process, and some were more predictable than others - but all were easily readable, so all that was required was a little attention to cues/signals). Dealing with CB animals puts you several steps ahead of the game, especially if you purchase them from somebody that handles them a bit. (Like many baby pythons, though, young bloods can lash out.)
Very well said. IMO they are the best of all pythons and well worth the challange. Just be careful because if you get one you'll end up with 20 before you know it

Ian

Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
ShesCountry89
lol oh boy, i know if I get one i'll want another one but sooner or later i will be running out of room to put them all right now! They sound great, and are definatly beautiful! I would love to get one in the future.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Crazy4Herps
Bloods ROCK. Coolest snakes out there.

Yeah, they can have some temperament issues, but nothing too bad if they're CBB and handled a bunch as hatchlings. hhmoore is right, they have an awful reputation from back when all those in the pet trade were imports. Sure, even the CB ones can get pissy, but they're not as bad as they're made out to be.

Really, who could resist such a fat, ill-tempered beauty?

This is my breit, Sangre. Love him to pieces, he is a blast. No tags as of yet, but he does love to talk!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:13 AM   #6
dimperdoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesCountry89 View Post
...blood pythons...best cage size?...
I would guess at 12qt sterilite and then 28 qt for bigger ???

But, I wonder the same thing.

How suitable are 4'x2'x'1' boa style cages for adults?

What about temps? ...humidity?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Crazy4Herps
Hatchings should be kept in a 10-15qt for the first six months to a year. Then it's pretty much up to you to move it up based on growth. A 4x2 is ideal for an adult, I wouldn't keep one in anything smaller; possibly something a tad larger for big females.

Temps should never ever ever exceed 90* or drop below 78*. I keep the cool side 80-83*, warm side 87-89*. Humidity 60-75*, 80* when going into shed.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
Crazy4Herps
EDIT: Humidity 60-75%. Sorry about that.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Payara
Just curious whats the adult size of a male Borneo? I thought they grow to be 3-4' but recently I saw a 6' male.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
laurinekel
I do have 2 blood pythons and have experience that I can share with you.

I do have 2 blood pythons and have experience that I can share with you.
You can ask any questions you wish and direct them to me,I will obviously reply you.
Stay blessed
Laurine Kelsey
WA DC.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!