Minimum Temporary Cage Size for Dumeril - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
evan4770
Minimum Temporary Cage Size for Dumeril

I have a 6-6.5 foot dumeril. I am working at a kids camp over the holidays. It is an "animals" camp so the kids are learning about all kinds of animals. This is the first time i am bringing a 25 pound snake anywhere for multiple days. I can't put the regular cage in the car and I was wondering what the minimum size cage she could be in for three-four days.

Thanks,
Evan

Old 12-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
Some may disagree with me, but for only three or four days, anything the snake would comfortably fit in would be fine. In the wild such a snake would spend that long wedged into a tight hollow log digesting a meal.

As long as it isn't cramped, something like a large under bed storage container would work for that short a time, providing the ambient temperatures in the room it is kept are acceptable.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
evan4770
Thanks a lot. that sounds pretty good. I will have her out of the container 3-4 times a day each day, so she won't be in there for too long and she will be inside a room with central air and heat.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
I'm sure anything you provide will exceed what all the snakes at a show do just fine in all weekend, so don't worry too much about it. As long as the temperature is good, it's hard to hurt a snake in just 3 days due to the enclosure.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
evan4770
Thanks a lot. That is also what someone else said. Do you think a box 30in long x 21 in wide x 20 inches high is too small. She seems to fit in there ok

Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Clay Davenport
As long as she's not piled on top of herself to fit in it, it will be fine for three or four days.
Just make sure she has access to fresh water up until she's packed for the trip and immediately after she returns. A box that size probably won't fit a water bowl in with her without her spilling it in short order.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
evan4770
I found a real sturdy under bed storage box and i think i will keep the top on via bungee cords. The box is four feet long two feet deep and ten inches high. Thanks for your advice It has been very helpful!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!