FaunaClassifieds
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Chat  |  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Want to help support this site? Click here.

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Canadian Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Canadian Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the Canadian herp industry. YOUR FULL NAME is required for each message you post.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #81
Mettle
Not to mention that Bry might spontaneously, once again, shut down the OAVB. You know, as he did after his failed attempt to slander Little Ray's Reptiles on Reptiles Canada went sour and people turned on him prompting a very public meltdown on his part. (I remember being called a dork, I think it was?) But where would those poor rattlesnake bite victims be then?

Truth is, Ruth, you're interjecting yourself in a matter that you seem to have very little knowledge about. And instead of asking questions for further clarification, you're making some pretty dumb comments to Sam. Why?

Also... Where did you go to law school and where did you learn the legal meaning of what being "banned" is? Just curious? Was it only from this one incident in Alberta that people have referenced? Or do you have any laws - you know, actual written laws, not things you've made up and believe to be true - that support your definition?

I get the feeling that had you witnessed the way Bry turned on the members of Reptiles Canada, the way he willy nilly shut down his Bank, the manner in which he blamed the non-venomous reptile keeping hobbyists for the Bank's demise, etc etc ETC, you might think differently about this situation. Hell, Bry even alluded in one thread to how he, as a zoo proprietor, is against the private keeping of reptiles in general... Anyway. I'm looking forward to laughing at your reply. I know Sam is (between tugs of furstration at his hair) and a couple other people I've pointed to this thread are also chuckling. So please. If Bry's not going to post and entertain us, then at least we've got a good sideshow.

Sam... I hope everything is progressing well. How's your employee that was assaulted? Do they get to bring home a free reptile in compensation for danger pay?

Old 03-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #82
Reptile Kings
lol Stephan.

Actually this staff member has been working for us for close to 2.5yrs. He ALWAYS has a smile on his face, and it takes a lot to get this guy upset or ticked off. I've never met anyone like him. He is such a super nice guy.

However for a good 2 hours after the incident he was in a state of shock. I sat down with him, and he was dazed the whole time. He talked so slow it seemed. He kept saying "Wow...this makes me feel so different about the reptile hobby", I would ask him to explain and he'd simply just shake his head and repeat the same thing.

He was very shocked this happened to him so early in the morning and why it did over nothing.

I took him out for lunch to calm his nerves, but we unfortunately had to get cracking on preparing for the expo. We went on to have 36 hours of no sleep on top of the mess that Bry put us through... Come Monday we were both so exhausted.

I didn't give him a free reptile lol however he was paid very well for his expo duties including a bonus. I felt so bad for him going through that.

He's better now, and came into the store this morning updating me that the detectives called him.

I'm not going to get much into that, but that the OPP and Toronto Police are involved.
Everything is progressing very well.

I appreciate you asking in how he's doing Very thoughtful.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #83
Mettle
It's a shame that a jerk like Bry has negatively impacted your employee in such a way. I know how that is though. I had to deal with my fair share of "characters" (I think that's what we called them before, right? ha!) especially in the fish hobby. They pretty much drove me away. Especially when I was harassed by one at my place of employment (not so great at the time it was a pet shop, good cover though for them). Now I have one fish tank. I used to have 17. Funny how that works when you realize some of the people around you in "the hobby" are pure trash...

However, I guess Bry isn't really in "the hobby" is he? He's a zoo proprietor and against the private keeping of reptiles. He just wants our money for his anti-venin bank. Makes sense to me!

Glad to hear your employee is doing well, though, Sam. Hopefully this gets resolved soon and you guys can put it all behind you.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #84
Reptile Kings
Yep, "characters" that's what we called them loll. No other better word to describe them.

You're right and it always shocked me that Bry was against the private keeping and selling of reptiles. hmm..strange.

Thanks for the kind words Stephan. I shall certainly pass it on to my employee!
After all those nice vendors that approached him at this past Sunday's expo and told him they're sorry he had to go through that, it certainly helped him think positive of the hobby once again.

Thanks again to those individuals.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #85
Ciliatus
Ruth - I do not believe you know the extensiveness of the situation.

Bry's comments on RepsCan, ones he made himself in a thread which was locked and deleted were what started this entire situation. A thread asking for money, in which he physically threatened individuals and made bizarre comments to forum members. This has NOTHING to do with moderators.

Maybe Bry has disagreement with the Administrator of said forum (judging by his comments) but if so, then why the need to attack the people supporting him the most?

I would never EVER donate money to an individual that calls his supporters "Losers" and claiming they know "sh*t about reptiles". I mean, would you donate to him after being called these names, after a community of people just revived his bank?

Remember the tantrum thread, "The Bank is closed because RC won't donate anymore" well, evidently the people of RC were one of the biggest contributors as this bank is still around after they had one last "asking for donations thread" in which members stepped up.

And good for Sam for posting those comments. I had considered donating to the Bank (even though I don't agree with it) after Joe had taken over. But now I know not too. I'm too much of a "loser" and I "know about reptiles". So, best just stick with my geckos, and leave the vipers and cobras for the cool kids. They can figure out their own anti-venoms and what not.

I got a little off topic, but seeing such misinformation was getting annoying.

Anyways, good luck Sam. I work in the pet retail industry, and have dealt with people like this far too often. Its about time someone does something about it.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #86
Nett
Sorry off topic ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyballboa View Post
People often send out written notices as they did in the Alberta case you referenced because it is better evidence against someone who Tresspasses. In the Alberta case that you referenced the RCMP and myself suggested that the folks in AB send out written notices. I faxed and emailed a bunch of info out during the Alberta situation.
Just a lil heads up for you ......when you decide to help out a Non- Profit Society that is in the process of expelling a member maybe it would be wise to do your research first and give them proper legal advice on how to legally expel a member from their society ....Straight from the Alberta Society Act , a few words from emails received from the Q&A on standards for Non-Profit Society and other research I have done over the last few weeks on this matter ....as you can see its not as easy as just sending out a registered letter with the board members signatures on it and then your member is expelled form the Non- Profit Society there is WAY more to it .....

17. A Member shall cease to be a Member of the Society:

(a) on delivering their resignation in writing to the membership
director or by mailing it to the mailing address of the Society;

(b) on their death or in the case of an organization or
corporation, its dissolution;

(c) on being expelled;

(d) on having been a Member not in good standing for three
consecutive months; or

(e) on moving to a jurisdiction outside of Alberta.

18. A Member may be suspended or expelled by resolution of the Board
passed at a Board meeting where:

(a) the Member has acted in a manner that is considered
improper;

(b) the Member has acted in a manner considered likely to
endanger the interest or reputation of the Society; or

(c) where there has been a willful breach of the Society’s
constitution, bylaws or rules.
19. In the case of suspension, the Board shall determine the terms and
duration by resolution.

20. A notice of resolution for suspension or expulsion shall be accompanied
by a brief statement of the reason or reasons for the proposed suspension
or expulsion.

21. The person who is the subject of the proposed resolution for suspension
or expulsion shall be given an opportunity to be heard at the Board
meeting before the resolution is put to a vote.

22. Full Members of the Society shall have the right to review any suspension
or expulsion made by the Board at a general meeting, and to overturn the
suspension or expulsion or amend the suspension by Ordinary Resolution.

More .....

Section 22 of the Societies Act states;

22(1) The bylaws of a society may provide that a dispute
arising out of the affairs of the society and between any
members of the society or between

(a) member or a person who is aggrieved and who has for
not more than 6 months ceased to be a member, or

(b) a person claiming through the member or aggrieved person
or claiming under the bylaws of the society, and the society
or a director or officer of the society, shall be decided
by arbitration, which shall be under the Arbitration Act
unless the bylaws prescribe some other method.

22(2) A decision made pursuant to an arbitration is binding
on all parties and may be enforced on application to the
Court of Queen's Bench, and unless the bylaws otherwise provide
there is no appeal from it.

Even in the Societies own By-Laws states how members are to be expelled which was not followed ....

From _____ Society By-Laws

Membership

...... Any member, upon a majority vote a quorum (see item 14) of members of the Society in good standing, may be expelled from membership for any cause which the Society may deem reasonable.

14. Twelve members in good standing shall constitute a quorum at any meeting of the Society.

Sorry for the off topic ...as for banning or expelling from a private expo/event I am sure things are easier and would really only take a witnessed letter or even a witnessed phone call ......As for the rest of this ...I guess Ill wait to see the posted RCMP witness statements and other documents on this matter ......

I will say that even though Bry may be an ass it does NOT mean his AV bank is stupid and not worth while .....He provides Canada with a needed service and I think some need to take a step back and look at what the AV band is , does and will do in the future ......

Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #87
Reptile Kings
Wow. Way off topic. Let's try and keep this on track please. What happened in another province, regarding god knows what and who is not what this thread is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nett View Post
I will say that even though Bry may be an ass it does NOT mean his AV bank is stupid and not worth while .....He provides Canada with a needed service and I think some need to take a step back and look at what the AV band is , does and will do in the future ......
I personally don't care regarding any of it, not when someone of his mentality is in charge. I will not support the AV Bank under these current circumstances.

If it was someone else with a good head on their shoulders and didn't attack members of the community, then I'm all in. Heck, I was even going to donate to the guy after his initial meltdown on RC. Thought maybe he just had a bad day, we've all had those, and so I wanted to give him a second chance. But nope, he ruined that all by himself being the loose cannon that he is

You are losing track as to what this thread is about. It's not about his AV Bank. This is about his criminal conduct at my store.

Leave his bank out of this. I'm tired of hearing about it. He thinks he can get donations very easily elsewhere, then all the power to him!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #88
HanneysCorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Kings View Post

You are losing track as to what this thread is about. It's not about his AV Bank. This is about his criminal conduct at my store.

Leave his bank out of this. I'm tired of hearing about it. He thinks he can get donations very easily elsewhere, then all the power to him!
Then perhaps you need to contact a moderator of this site and have your thread title changed. You call both the Indian River Reptile Zoo and the Antivenom Bank "Bad Guys"...Bry Loyst is the bad guy here not these non profit organizations and his name isn't even in the title.

Sam...you are the one who brought the Ontario Antivenom Bank into it in the first place, and you are the one tieing in Bry Loyst's own personal actions with that very same Bank and that is why I'm taking the stance I am.

Charge the person, get your restraining order, do what ever is necessary, and for that you have my support and best wishes. But when you tell folks DON'T DONATE TO THE ANTIVENOM BANK because Bry Loyst came into my store and acted like an idiot, well on that one you are just dead wrong.

Now to finish my reply to Brandon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciliatus View Post
Ruth - I do not believe you know the extensiveness of the situation.

Bry's comments on RepsCan, ones he made himself in a thread which was locked and deleted were what started this entire situation. A thread asking for money, in which he physically threatened individuals and made bizarre comments to forum members. This has NOTHING to do with moderators.
Thank you Brandon for that explanation. I like to deal in fact. The whole problem with many forums lately is the need to edit and delete pertinent material that others, who were not privy to when such a thread actually was in existence are left totally bewildered by consequent threads such as this. I can only speak about what I know and the only thing that I have seen presented here as fact is comments on Facebook exchanged by Sam and Bry which resulted in the incident Sam is now posting about.

Quote:
Maybe Bry has disagreement with the Administrator of said forum (judging by his comments) but if so, then why the need to attack the people supporting him the most?

I would never EVER donate money to an individual that calls his supporters "Losers" and claiming they know "sh*t about reptiles". I mean, would you donate to him after being called these names, after a community of people just revived his bank?
No, I would not give money to an individual under these circumstances. But Mr. Loyst is not the Ontario Antivenom Bank. I separate the two. What the Antivenom Bank does is purchase and have in stock a serum to save a life. Mr. Loyst is merely the custodian of the Bank. The money donated is not for his own personal use. Bry Loyst the person may have acted irresponsibly, childishly, and in anger. Bry Loyst should have to pay for the consequences of his actions. I have said all along I do not condone the behavior he displayed with a Reptile King's employee.

Bry Loyst may be a stupid person with his actions, BUT....the Ontario Antivenom Bank is not a 'stupid' Bank. It's cause is to save lives when the need arises. Bry doesn't save those lives, the serum stored at the OAB does when administered to the snake bite victim. These are not one in the same.

Bry Loyst may have had a 'meltdown', but the Ontario Antivenom Bank seems to have taken the punishment, or should take the punishment as deemed by some members of this reptile community we all try and work within.

The Ontario Antivenom Bank is not a retail store where one chooses whether to make a purchase, or buy it's supplies. If an owner of a retail store conducted himself that way then I could see everybody jumping onto the bank wagon and saying, "Don't buy from him...boycott his store and these are the reasons why".

I can even see folks saying, 'Don't frequent his Zoo', but you know what, to say to folks, don't donate money to provide a serum which could save someone's life because the guy who set it up/runs it is a jerk, sorry that makes me ashamed to be associated with folks who retaliate that way.

All involved in this thread know of the the incidents this summer when lives were saved because serum WAS provided by the Bank. I don't care what your own personal beefs are with Bry Loyst and if you are hurt because he called you losers, then rise above it. You know you did the right thing! If Bry Loyst doesn't know how to properly thank you, that's his problem, but you can be damn sure the person who is or will have that serum administered to them when it's most needed will thank you.

What's more important? Getting even with the man or possibly saving a life.

Quote:
I got a little off topic, but seeing such misinformation was getting annoying.
And so did I Brandon but I'm not known for backing down when things need to be said.

Ruth Hanney

Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #89
greenknight exotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanneysCorns View Post

What's more important? Getting even with the man....

Ruth Hanney
There it is, the whole reason for your input here Ruth.......only "the man" (Mr.Crossman) has nothing to do with this thread.

Best of luck with this terrible situation Sam, I couldn't imagine somebody coming into my office and acting that way with one of our employees.
I wish that you and I could have had more time to talk last Sunday, only both of us were too busy servicing our repeat customers(friends) to waste our time whining like three little girls....
This thread is great for exposing some of the real problems that exist within our hobby, hopefully we can all learn from it and move forward in a positive fashion, instead of sinking down to the level of the trolls.

Dave

Old 03-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #90
Reptile Kings
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanneysCorns View Post
Sam...you are the one who brought the Ontario Antivenom Bank into it in the first place
LOL. Oh gosh. Another misunderstanding on your part. Of COURSE I'm going to bring the OAVB into it in my INITIAL POST. How in the hell else are peopel supposed to know where this huge situation at my store started from and what caused the problems?

As for telling people not to donate, I never said not to. I simply said that I wanted those people to be aware of what was being said about them behind their backs. "RC is for losers" ''Those on RC are uneducated" bla bla bla.

Unfortunately Ruth you can say it till you're blue in the face that Bry and the OAVB should be kept as separate entities however it will be VERY HARD getting the reptile community to think that. All I'm saying is good luck with that thought.

Ruth truth be told and it's already been mentioned by others on here, and that is that you unfortunately do NOT have the full details of what all went down with Bry Loyst. This is why it's so hard for you to be caught up with everything. And instead of asking questions, you're simply telling people what to do and think. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me...

When Bry did help save lives this past summer there was a thread on RC that Bry started called "Indian River Reptile Zoo to the rescue!" where he mentioned to everyone that he was there to help save a couple lives. He received so many great responses from that, and rightfully so. The members of RC were behind him 100%!

However when he had his public meltdown a couple months after and ATTACKED RC members, well many quickly changed their minds.

What I'm saying is that when he deserved our "thank-you's" we gladly offered it, but now that he deserves our disgust in his actions, he's certainly getting that too.

I will say again: I will NOT donate to the OAVB, what everybody else does is their choice, but I doubt he'll have much support after his recent actions.

You can preach that the bank is for a good cause all you want, BUT the fact is that many of us KNOW THAT IT IS! We just don't think he should be the one running it, or any of his staff or anyone having to do anything with him, as he's just out of control.

One minute he says the OAVB is functional, the next minute he makes a thread on RC saying the bank is now CLOSED due to a lack of support, then a couple days later he says it's up and running again. Those who wanted to donate had no idea if their money was going to be put to good use with Bry's indecisive ways.

There are MANY reasons why many don't want to donate their HARD EARNED MONEY to Bry Loyst, not just cause of his humiliating public meltdown, or his assault on my employee, or his threatening of RC members through emails, or his indecisive ways of whether to keep the OAVB open or not.

Again...you wouldn't know all that because you MISSED all those relevant threads, and that's why I feel like I'm tiring myself simply bringing you up to speed.

....time will tell if you make another irrelevant post...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!