Is this the initial stages of scale rot? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
Focal
Is this the initial stages of scale rot?

Greetings,

I purchased this male Albino Ball Python about a month ago and when it came in I noticed one or two black spots and "flaky" looking skin on the belly. So I've keep an eye on it for the past 3-4 weeks and kept an eye out for blisters and/or rust coloration. I haven't noticed any mites in the water, but I have noticed darkness deep underneath a few scales in a couple spots. I have had numerous snakes over the years and have NEVER had a health issue which may explain my paranoia in this case. I clean my tanks daily and handle every one daily. All are healthy but this recent purchase from a member on here, keeps me worried.

His tank is very basic. Lined with paper towels, a bowl big enough to bathe in, a half log, rock and small piece of drift wood. I keep about a handfull of dry sphagnum moss in the log. I only mist my BRB's and no others. Feces and urine are cleaned in a matter of hours although he has not wasted either since in my custody, nor has he ate.

The scales seem to be found in his water bowl and a few in my hand after handling. I do not mist his cage so I'm not sure if he is really dry; none of my other balls have had an issue with this. Last night I removed his water bowl and will be moving him to a quarantine tub today to further assess the situation. I'm going to pick up betadine and anti-biotic ointment for treatment unless this is considered poor practice??

His scales seem to be shrivled up and crinkly with a slight outward curl. After removing his water bowl last night I noticed his belly was a little pink which may indicate his next shed. Please let me know what you think (sorry for the low quality pics, I lost my camera):

Here's another question I had, he seems to be turning pink where his white is at this spot. There is more pink than what showed in the pic but it just had me wondering:

Thanks!!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
kellysballs
For a real diagnosis you would need to see a Vet however I can tell you what I would do if it was my snake.

I would purchase either a bottle of blue cholorahexidine gluconate or buy a bottle of Hibicleans surgical scrub (Aqua bottle filled with pink cholorahexidine gluconate scrub). Then in a clean small bowl 2oz or so I would mix the surgical scrub OR the blue chlorahexi with water until it is sky blue for the chlorahexi or really light pink for the hibicleans. Then I would wipe the snake down (not on the face) in the affected areas twice daily with a cotton ball. Then with out drying the snake place him back in his quarintine area. I would do this every day until his next shed. If their is no improvement then I would make an appointment with a vet.

In my experience this treatment has worked on 2 animals of my own and 1 that belonged to a friend. I got this treatment for scale rot from my vet in 06 when one of the first balls I ever owned started showing signs of it (because we where misting the tank to heavily). I prefer the blue chlorahexidine solution to the pink surgical scrub but they both work the surgical scrub is just more soapy so if you use it make sure you dilute it well. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Focal
Thanks Kelly.

I read about the blue cholorahexidine gluconate but figured it had to be mail ordered and I would use the betadine. I may try the betadine until I receive the blue cholorahexidine gluconate.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Melinda
Great advice from Kelly.

If this were my snake, I may apply a bit of triple antibiotic after being cleaned with Nolvasan/Chlorohexidine.

I know I sound like a sales rep for Neosporin, but I've used this stuff with various reptiles, horses, dogs, cats etc.... and it's great stuff.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
Focal
^ I gave him his first treatment yesterday. I haven't got a chance to research where to purchase the BCG yet, but I did give him a 20 minute warm water bath, followed by a 20 minute Betadine bath (appx. 30 parts water, 1 part Betadine, until it looked like coffee/tea), followed by a good 20 minute massage with triple antibiotic cream (non pain relief). I put him in a quarantine tub with a new rock, new water bowl (not large enough for him to soak in), and new hide. Lined with a couple papers towels so he can get some of the cream off if it's irritating him and put him into the rack for the night. The previous tank was thoroughly wiped down with clorox wipes and all decor soaked in 110+ degree water and bleach combo.

Plus side, no mites have been found in the bathing water, decor soak water, or tank wipes, although he still has a few black spots on him that may be scabs or scars. I fully inspected all my other snakes and they all checked out fine. Nothing has spread from handling other snakes after him, thankfully.

I didn't get a chance to check on him before work but will report back after work. Although the color distortion didn't change, the soak seemed to have helped his scales settle into place and 'uncurl'. I think it will at least be a week before I see improvement though.

Question: How often should I do this treatment? I read somewhere it should be done every three days. Anyone know if it would be healthy to do it again today? Thanks.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
jsmi983
BE careful using Betadine often cause it has a bad tendency to dry out all of the scales and irritate the skin. The BCG can be gotten in a hurry by a vet. It's Nolvasan (name brand). Most vets will let you get a small medical bottle of it and then you can use that. It's really a better solution for what you are trying to achieve. Also, on the Neosporin, the cream seems to better in this situation since the ointment tends to keep the area too moist which when heated will decrease the healing process. EIther way you go, make sure it does not have the pain relief in it. Hope this helps. Another product which is next to impossible to find in the US but you may get lucky like I have is a product called F10. I get it from my vet who had a buddy ship a bunch of it here for him. Unfortunately when it's gone, it's gone. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

ALso, just an FYI, most scale rot should be cured from the inside out meaning shots of Amikacin may be needed as well.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
Focal
^ Thanks Luanne. Good point on the cream, I didn't know they made a cream. He doesn't seem to like the ointment although it might be because it's a little cold. I'm going to look for the cream tonight and perhaps warm it a little. As for the betadine, I've been watering it down a good bit in his soaking water, after he has soaked for a good 20 minutes; I've only been giving him this treatment once every three days. On a plus side, it looked like it was getting worse friday so I skipped a day of ointment treatment so he could be better examined by a Vet today, Monday, and yesterday when I checked on him, he looked better than he has yet. Numerous scales that where ugly look white again, whiter than the surrounding scales and he has yet to shed which I'm hoping will provide better results. The downside to this treatment, I'm assuming, is that he won't and hasn't eaten since I got him. I've tried f/t, freshly killed, and live. He seems to be scared of his food.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
Focal
Great news.

I came home and he shed today. Every flaw was removed, every ugly scale... he is mint again. Then I fed him and he ate for the first time. I was the happiest guy yesterday... until I saw my male kenyan escaped he was later found though

Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
kellysballs
Good I am glad that your snake is better! Next time your at a show pick up a gallon of the blue chlorahexi it is very nice to have around and can be used for alot of things.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!