Reptile Room/Building suggestions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
TheNYReptileclub
Reptile Room/Building suggestions

Hi,
I am building a one car garage with a ''workshop'' addition for reptiles next spring. The room will be entirely for the sole purpose of keeping and raising Herps.
I am looking for suggestions and ideas that I could build into my dreamhouse that I might not otherwise think of myself. As this is from the ground up I have a great deal of flexibility.

I am thinking several skylights as well as windows so they can have a natural day night cycle .

I am thinking heat in the cement floor to keep lower cages from being chilly and for the economy of heating in this manner .

I am expecting basic blocks as the building material and spray foaming the entire interior .(A local company does this ) .Not only for heat insulation ,This will help seal the place off from escapes .Keep any feeder bugs from becoming a pest outside .And it only seems right to pretty much Great stuff my ''habitat'' lol.

I also plan on pipes with multiple facets all around the interior to be able to run a misting system where needed .(Admittedly I have zero ideas on how yet ..its entirely concept so far)

Same plan for MANY electrical outlets so that extension cords and tangles are yesterdays news. How I sheild these from the misting idea is one of the things to consider.

A wash basin/sink , dishwasher ,refrigerator and freezer will also be included.

This isnt a case of money is no object ....but I am willing to spend enough to do this right the first time.

I keep a variety of Herps ...for the most part they are comfortable with 60 -80% Humidity and basic heat of 70- 80 (some need hotspots ) Those that do need more heat or humidity I provide for within their cages.

Corn snakes,pine snakes , Beaked snakes , Crested geckos gargs, williamsi ,mourning geckos ,phesuma several species , dart,mantella and reed frogs of various species

Have any thoughts ? I am betting you do!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
zzzdanz
Ventilation is a BIG must have.Sealing up the building and having high humidity is a disaster in the making.

As for heat in the floor,it would be a nice addition but you wont get temps anywhere high enough for herps.

Ya can never have enough electrical outlets.I'ld put a drain in the floor,then you can just hose off w/e needs cleaning.

I'm gonna do something similar with my garage,but I might run the whole thing with solar panels.

Good luck with your project

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!