Killing the messengers.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
WebSlave
Killing the messengers....

I've been hearing this far too often lately, and from many quarters. That people are afraid to post on the BOI because they get attacked viciously for their statements made there. That they wind up virtually fighting for their own reputation because of attacks made on their own character because of their statements made either for or against someone on the BOI.

Personally, I think this is a serious issue that I need to address. If people are afraid to post on the BOI, then what will be the eventual result of non participation because of the grinder people are put through there?

Yeah, I do understand that some people WILL make false claims, or mistakes in judgment that their own postings will reveal, but seriously, are the attacks really necessary? Are the personal attacks going to defeat what most people are hoping to get out of the BOI? If few participate because of the danger and stress to themselves, then how much information will not be forthcoming that really needs to be?

Most of you know that I have been gradually turning up the heat to try to make the BOI and this site in general, a better place for all to participate within. I think the heat needs to be cranked up a notch or two in regard to the problems that this post here is attempting to address. That the behavior that will be counterproductive of the purpose of the BOI needs to be weeded out, either by the people who engage in such attacks toning it down, or by the elevated levels of the infractions levied for such behavior moving them on out of the picture if they refuse to willingly comply.

I believe that the truth CAN be uncovered without rancor and derogatory and belittling attacks. I believe that people will get professional dialog if they themselves engage in a professional manner. I BELIEVE that this is how I want this site to BE.

Forthwith I am asking the moderators to start cracking down harder on incidents whereby unnecessary force is being used to examine or cross-examine anyone and their statements made. It will still be completely acceptable to question anyone's statements and motives, but to do so in a belittling or inflammatory manner is going to have elevated risks associated with it.

I will copy this message over onto the BOI to make certain that everyone involved their has the opportunity to see my opinion about what needs to change there.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I've been hearing this far too often lately, and from many quarters. That people are afraid to post on the BOI because they get attacked viciously for their statements made there. That they wind up virtually fighting for their own reputation because of attacks made on their own character because of their statements made either for or against someone on the BOI.

Personally, I think this is a serious issue that I need to address. If people are afraid to post on the BOI, then what will be the eventual result of non participation because of the grinder people are put through there?

Yeah, I do understand that some people WILL make false claims, or mistakes in judgment that their own postings will reveal, but seriously, are the attacks really necessary? Are the personal attacks going to defeat what most people are hoping to get out of the BOI? If few participate because of the danger and stress to themselves, then how much information will not be forthcoming that really needs to be?

Most of you know that I have been gradually turning up the heat to try to make the BOI and this site in general, a better place for all to participate within. I think the heat needs to be cranked up a notch or two in regard to the problems that this post here is attempting to address. That the behavior that will be counterproductive of the purpose of the BOI needs to be weeded out, either by the people who engage in such attacks toning it down, or by the elevated levels of the infractions levied for such behavior moving them on out of the picture if they refuse to willingly comply.

I believe that the truth CAN be uncovered without rancor and derogatory and belittling attacks. I believe that people will get professional dialog if they themselves engage in a professional manner. I BELIEVE that this is how I want this site to BE.

Forthwith I am asking the moderators to start cracking down harder on incidents whereby unnecessary force is being used to examine or cross-examine anyone and their statements made. It will still be completely acceptable to question anyone's statements and motives, but to do so in a belittling or inflammatory manner is going to have elevated risks associated with it.

I will copy this message over onto the BOI to make certain that everyone involved their has the opportunity to see my opinion about what needs to change there.

Thanks Rich!!! I think this is a much needed move (although you really shouldn't have to!).

Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
KelliH
I think that's a wise decision. Thanks for the BOI.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Tigger the Tiger
Why now?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger the Tiger View Post
Why now?
If not now, then when?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Focal
I was kind of getting sick of all the "cry baby" and "feelings hurt" nonsense. It's really counter-productive to what the BOI it there for.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
bloodybaroness

Thank you Rich, this really needed to be said.

The "wolf pack attack" has gotten a little excessive at times.

It still falls on the thread starter to provide proof and evidence of claims, but hopefully this will give them a little more confidence to start out.

Also it should make some of the thread responders cool their jets and be less intimidating.

I hate to hear about a genuine BOI worthy issue that people are too scared to post for fear of being attacked.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
snowgyre
I think part of the problem stems from people simply not knowing when to stop putting their two cents in. Say your piece, and move on. The continuous back and forth arguments really gets distracting from the original topic. In addition, I have received negative feedback simply for disagreeing with the bandwagon's assessments. I can understand negative karma for bad behavior, but negative karma simply because I disagree with your assessment of the situation? I can certainly see why some people would be reluctant to post in the BOI.

Thanks for tackling this problem head-on, Rich. Hopefully this will force people to cool their heels a bit before they post emotionally riddled responses. If people just took a deep breath before responding, I feel a lot of these issues would be resolved without administrative hammers.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Thanks for tackling this problem head-on, Rich. Hopefully this will force people to cool their heels a bit before they post emotionally riddled responses. If people just took a deep breath before responding, I feel a lot of these issues would be resolved without administrative hammers.
I agree. However, since it is the BOI, people seem to get more emotional than they would normally get. Because of this I think you end up with many more "knee jerk" posts than you might otherwise. Unfortunately, I think that is human nature and I am not sure that self-policing will/can work (or has worked previously). Maybe after a few infractions/bans are handed out the culture will slowly start to change.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
I think part of the problem stems from people simply not knowing when to stop putting their two cents in. Say your piece, and move on. The continuous back and forth arguments really gets distracting from the original topic. In addition, I have received negative feedback simply for disagreeing with the bandwagon's assessments. I can understand negative karma for bad behavior, but negative karma simply because I disagree with your assessment of the situation? I can certainly see why some people would be reluctant to post in the BOI.

Well put.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!