For Sale Chaco tortoises - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
platynota
Chaco tortoises

I'm looking to sell 5.4 Chaco tortoises, preferably to keepers experienced with the species. One male is LTC WC I purchased in 2004, and the other 4.4 are animals I hatched out in Fall 2005 and Spring 2008.

The captive bred Chacos have pyramiding, varying per individual; their shells are hard and strong, not weak from calcium deficient diet. The LTC male is flat/normal. They have been raised on a diet of the typical grocery goods (Romaine, turnip greens, etc.), grasses/dandelions/edible outdoor plants, and Zoo Med "Natural Grassland Tortoise food;" and further supplemented with Rep-Cal Calcium w. vit D3 and Herptivite Multivitamin. I use a dual lighting system with 1 Reptisun 10.0 UVB fluorescent and 1 Verilux Natural Spectrum® Medium Bipin fluorescent.

Based on this experience, I think Chaco hatchlings must be raised almost exclusively on low protein outdoor vegetation, similar to the nutritional content in their native lands, and edible cactus. Increased relative humidity in their terrarium likely will also have a significant effect.

That said, for those interested in this group, go to my contact info and click "send message via email to platynota" to reach me at my email. Pictures are available to serious inquirers.

Typically, WC adults go around $400-500, and the asking price for CB hatchlings is similar. For now, we'll discuss pricing on a person to person basis.

Also, if anyone has had success in raising hatchlings through maturity with flat shells, please contact me. Thank you.
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!