Has pricing gone up, or is it just me? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
ChaosCat
Has pricing gone up, or is it just me?

I'm starting to wonder if shipping companies hate Washington state or something.

Lately, shipping to other customers has cost me around $50-$65!!!!!

About 2 months back, I was shipping packages for $35, $40, but NEVER $50 on up.

This happening to anyone else???

Old 06-30-2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Mark and Aimee
It's most likely UPS and their vague policies on what to charge...

If you drop off your packages at a UPS "store", you'll get charged dimensional weight, rather than actual weight.

I paid $70 to ship out a few baby boas on Monday. That was dropping the package off at a UPS store.

Yesterday, we decided to do the instant pay option from UPS's web site, and didn't pay more than $40 per package (about the same size and weight).

Create your own shipping labels, and just drop your packages off at UPS, ready to go. No waiting in lines that way, too.

Or maybe I'm totally off, and that's what you have been doing.

Old 06-30-2004, 03:36 PM   #3
robin d.
its not just you. shipping used to run for us 30-35 and now is 40-45 . i know that the price of fuel has to do with it but i bet its also the demand in shipping... and they inflate the charges

Old 06-30-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
Mark and Aimee
True...

Yes, I did forget to mention. UPS hiked up their prices along with most of the carriers around the first of the year.

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/040510/ups10-q.html

Quote:
On January 5, 2004, a rate increase took effect which was in line with previous years' rate increases. We increased rates for standard ground shipments an average of 1.9% for commercial deliveries. The ground residential surcharge increased $0.25 to $1.40 over the commercial ground rate. An additional delivery area surcharge of $1.00 was implemented for commercial deliveries in certain ZIP codes. Rates for UPS Hundredweight increased 5.9%. In addition, we increased rates for UPS Next Day Air an average of 2.9% and increased rates for deferred services by 2.9%. Rates for international shipments originating in the United States (Worldwide Express, Worldwide Express Plus, UPS Worldwide Expedited and UPS International Standard service) increased an average of 3.5%.

Old 06-30-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
ChaosCat
This is so frustrating. I have a customer who is not happy about the fact that its going to cost $50+ to ship a 6lb box overnight to the east coast from where I am (Washington state.)

He claims that people over in his area are getting things shipped to them for around $30-$40!

Are these dealers just eating the extra cost of shipping? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not a big-time commercial dealer, and I can't afford to just eat the extra $10-$20 of shipping costs. That would be $10-$20 worth of rodents to feed my reptiles, and that's quite a bit to me!

Mark/Aimee, I first tried UPS/Fedex/DHL's websites, and they all gave me the same quote. I was wanting shipping Tues, July 6th for overnight. I also tried flatter boxes and lots of different box sizes. No change. Also tried calling all 3 shipping companies. Same cost.

I don't want to just bring this box in for shipping, then send a bill to the receiver with the potential of NOT getting paid for the item.

Is there any way I can just do a "bill to receiver?" Maybe that would work better.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:13 PM   #6
The Reptile House
shipping costs

People with really large quatities that ship out tons of packages daily get really good rates. I ship with FedEx since I just got a reptile contract with them. My rep did not tell me I could do it all on-line and save 10% on each shipment. Mine ranges now from 40-45 yes still really high from last year. I have customers not wanting to pay that and they want me to ship through UPS there snakes or USPS and I will flat out will not do it, it is not worth it to me to ship illegally. I get the same thing from people in Florida saying it should only be 30 for overnight shipping and that is what they pay so either they are ordering from a really big company or someone is eating the rest of the cost.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:31 AM   #7
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
Is there any way I can just do a "bill to receiver?" Maybe that would work better.
Airborne/DHL has a "bill to reciever" option. You don't need an account with Airborne/DHL, and neither does the reciever. Just check the box on the form.

That way, your customer pays exact charges, and they definitely cannot complain. If they still want to complain, it's probably best that they take their business elsewhere. Shipping charges are something YOU have little control over, with the exception of the size of the box.

Old 08-21-2004, 01:02 PM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
you want prices gone up? I went onto UPS, FedEx and DHL to check quotes on a shipment I was sending out next week. You'll never believe the prices!!!

UPS next day by noon $101.06
FedEx next day by 10:30am $80.46
DHL 2nd day (they won't provide next day between PA and WY) $55.30

I am HEATED and at a complete lost on what to do...

Old 08-26-2004, 02:15 PM   #9
Mark and Aimee
Wow, I ship out via Delta Dash (same day, insured) for less than that.

Better get your application in...

Old 09-23-2004, 12:56 PM   #10
Hermits-Direct
If you ship through Fedex, you can get really good pricing! A lot has to do with the size of the box also. If I want to ship my products via 2-day Express in a 11x9x6" box from California to Florida, my cost is $11.00. If I ship in a 12x9x6" box to the same place shipping would be $15.00. The size of the box has a big role! Also, I received discounts on my volume, and because I ship to people from an association.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!