Just found a hognose need some insite - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
DaEMOeN
Talking Just found a hognose need some insite

allo pplz, i'm new to the sight. I found a hognose on my front porch 2 days ago. I was just wondering what i need to feed him, how often ect... I dun know what kind he is, i think a western, i'ma get a pic soon as i can. but it would be great if someone would give me some advice on how to feed him. and also he hisses a storm when i go to pick him up, and flares his neck, i'm curiouse as to if this will ever stop, and if he is only bluffing. Might i actually recieve a bite? ok thanx guys the more info the better.

Old 08-08-2004, 11:38 PM   #2
Wilomn
Most likely your new friend will like frogs or taods. Just make sure they're small enough to be swallowed. If it's a western it may take pinks right off, if you're lucky.

If you can post a pic of the snake someone will be able to tell you what kind it is for sure.

They generally loose the aggressive behaviour once they figure out you are not an enemy.

Make sure it has a hide it can get completely out of sight in and be patient.

A picture would really be helpful.

Good luck

Old 08-10-2004, 07:53 PM   #3
DaEMOeN
Thanx for the advice wilomn. I caought a baby toad for him, and... well he didn't waste his time eating it lol. Think he was rather hungry. I'm goin to try n post a pic when i can.(still lookin for my software disk). Also do i need to just grab him up n hold him? i mean he is really aggressive n sometimes when i go to pick him up i kinda jerk away b/c he hisses, n looks as if he is strikin' at me sometimes. will his small bite infect my hand or what ? And how long do i need to wait to hold him after feeding? lol i've only had ball pythons, new to the hog. well thnx again for the lil bit of insite.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:13 PM   #4
Wilomn
Hognoses, especially fresh from the wild ones, are WELL known for bluffing, hissing, even playing dead, going so far as to roll over on their back and stick out their tongue. It's one of the funniest things you'll ever see if you get the chance. That little snake, on it's back, tongue in the dirt, trying SOOOO hard to get you to believe it's dead. But, it can only hold its breath so long then it must take another, a HUGE exhale and a HUGE inhale and back to holding its breath again. Really funny.

You should wait at least two days after it eats until you play with it and yes, you just need to reach in and grab it and start taming that little sucker. He should tame down pretty quick.

I've heard of some folks having an alergic reaction to the saliva from a hognose but have never had a problem myself, though I can only think of once or twice where one has actually bitten me.

They do have some enlarged teeth in the rear of their mouths to puncture toad lungs, making them easier to swallow, and there is some debate about whether or not they are actually venomous.

I suspect yours is a Southern Hognose, which can be very colorful and make an excellent pet.

Good Luck

Old 08-10-2004, 11:12 PM   #5
DaEMOeN
Thanx again willomn. He is settling down a bit. but i'm still a lil nervouse about how i should be raising him. lol a lil more research for me i suppose. I'm guessing u seen the pics on the other thread I posted.? i've read a lot on this site and one of the most controversial things i've seen is being that mice arn't good for them. Ur opinion on this would be nice. I don't mind feeding him toads but mice may be a lil easier sometimes. is there any additives i should place in his water dish ect. ect.? I can read care sheets off any site or book. but seems that a lotta ppl write those for money. For me it's best to seek answers from those whom actually partake in action with the subject i'm seeking info on. so any really really important hints, tricks ect. would be nice. also what is this thing about.... now i don't remember. think it's burmation... somthing like that where they relax for 3 months or so without food?? well gettin' late. talk to ya l8r. thnx again

Old 08-11-2004, 12:22 AM   #6
Wilomn
I've never kept the souther species, just the western, but I do know some people who have kept the southerns on mice with no problems. The trick is getting them switched from toads to mice.

You have to scent the mice with toad smell, rub the toad all over a small mouse fuzzy, eyes not yet open, or even a pinky then put it with the snake and hope it eats. Some guys even take road kill toads that are fresh, freeze them, and take pieces of skin off the dead toads put them on the baby mice to get the hogs to eat. The switching can be a real pain in the but.

As far as brumation, don't worry if your little guy goes off feed in the fall. Since he's wildcaught he is on a winter sleep, summer feed schedule. If he does go off feed, you can either put him in a cool part of your house, like the basement if you have one, in his cage with a small bowl of water. If it freezes where you put him make sure he's got plenty of shavings or bedding to burrow down into and that the bedding is dry, not wet.

He does not have to brumate unless he's going to breed next year and if you can keep him active and eating all winter he will suffer no ill affects from it.

If you do a google search on southern hognoses I'm sure you'll find lots of info on them. Some of the folks who breed them will have care sheets on them and some of the breeders are more than willing to educate those who are new to snakes such as yourself.

Sounds like he was lucky to pick your porch. They are very cool snakes.

Old 08-11-2004, 04:45 PM   #7
DaEMOeN
Well in my other thread with the pictures, mark and amiee told me it was an eastern. Guess i'll have to do some reasearch now yea he is beautiful, and a lil more at eas now since i've been holdin him a lil more often. Just gotta get myself from bein so jumpy lol. Take a look at the photo on the other thread. thnx again.

Old 08-11-2004, 08:24 PM   #8
Wilomn
It could well be an eastern. Since I keep neither eastern nor southern I have no specimen at hand for comparison. If you have a field guide for eastern reptiles it will be in there. Or go to a library or bookstore and look him up, then you'll know.

They are very cool little snakes.

Have fun.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:39 PM   #9
Hognose_311
I have a southern, ive had it for a year, and its wild caught, never has tried to bite, but you better be long for the long haul, because im still trying to get mine to eat Mice... it's only grew maybe 3 inches since ive had him, hes almost full grown and they only get about 2 ft max. There temps can really be anywhere from 80-90 since they don't have a set temp. They are ready for anything... I have mine in a 55 gallon tank (not necessary) but he shares it with a colombian boa which i crossbreed him with... They don't stay together all the time in fear of my female boa eating him...lol..... Not much humidity is needed....... It used to huff and puff and play dead all the time, but not so much anymore... they are great pets....but if it wont eat, let me know.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:45 PM   #10
TooManyBurmese
You're cross breeding a colombian boa with a hognose?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!