Hypo, xantic, SHTCT, het for this or that... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-20-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
humpbacks1962
Question Hypo, xantic, SHTCT, het for this or that...

Is there a guide (with simplicity in mind) to turn to, to clear up these terms?
Seems like even among breeders the terminology is used indiscriminately sometimes.

Wanda

Old 09-20-2004, 07:24 PM   #2
hill4803
Yeah, sometimes these are used incorrectly!

you also forgot leucistic, albino, ch, jungle, abberent and supercalifragilisticexpalidosous (which I KNOW I misspelled!)...I know there are some websites that have pictures to go with the name, but I don't remember them. Someone who knows will be along shortly!

Old 09-20-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
progeckos
Lets see……

Hypo: Less than 10 spots on the body
Super Hypo: No spots on the body
SHTCT: Super Hypo Tangerine Carrot Tail
SHCT: Super Hypo Carrot Tail
SHTCTB: Super Hypo Tangerine Carrot Tail Baldy
CT: Carrot Tail
HT: Hypo Tangerine
SHT: Super Hypo Tangerine
Het: Normal looking gecko that carries the gene of a recessive trait.

I don’t know of a guide but hopefully this gives you a jump start. If I think of more I’ll post them.

Old 09-20-2004, 07:58 PM   #4
humpbacks1962
Hill, Cody, you are so kind and resourceful!

So, do these terms apply only to tangerines and yellows? I mean, snows and lavenders don't have their own lingos, do they? And do they also apply to say, pictus, days and other geckos that show variations in color?

And what does a normal leo look like? Is it defined by the average number of spots? One of my leos is yellow with dark bands and has some specks of orange on the tail.. Are those normals?

When does a breeder call a het, "het"?

Wanda

Old 09-20-2004, 08:15 PM   #5
riverjop
I was just walking bye....

magic wanda

Old 09-20-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
humpbacks1962
BANG! Some reply!
Awesome way to use your bandwidth!
Thanks

Old 09-20-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
vscampbell
Terms and abbreviations

Hey Webslave! You following this?? This is what I was talking about in my suggestion for a definitions page on the site. I don't know who would be the source of definitions, but it's hard for new people, or those of us returning to the fancy from many years gone raising families and building businesses to keep up with!

Further... I see many arguments on the site over descriptions and classifications. People buying things that aren't what they seem, and some of it seems to be over differences in terminology (and some just crooks, of course).

Val Campbell

Old 09-20-2004, 08:32 PM   #8
progeckos
A term such as SHT is a short way to say Super Hypo Tangerine and people don’t want to type the entire morph name so they just use the abbreviated term SHT. Most of the terms I listed above just apply to leos but some apply to all reptiles. An example would be het. Any other specie can be het for something as long as receive genes are present. There can also be super hypos, hypo, etc. in other species. I’m sure other species have their own little quirks but most of these apply to just leos.

If you breed a normal and an albino you know the offspring will het for albino, meaning they carry the albino gene. This is what’s been done if you see something that’s a het for albino. Hopefully all this makes sense.

Old 09-20-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
vscampbell
Terms

Yeh, I like the ads that state something is 100% het for albino (or what ever). A few decades ago I was pretty strong on biology but I haven't figured that one out : - (

Val Campbell

Old 09-20-2004, 08:37 PM   #10
humpbacks1962
Cody, you have a way to put those terms in lay language!
Now the kick is to figure out what is dominant and what is recesive, huh? So that is how you label them hets...

riverjop, you've done a beautiful job in that page! Not only pictures but a text on the genetics involved... Hope you can get more pictures to fill it all in! Beautiful job.

Quote:
This is what I was talking about in my suggestion for a definitions page on the site.
Second!

So, *how do you* figure out what is dominant and recesive, breeding them several times?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!