OMG! Retic Python! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-11-2004, 07:40 AM   #1
mbrown
Warning! OMG! Retic Python!

OMG i've seen the "snakehunter" last nite on TV, and there was a 20 ft Retic. i know they grow larger, but my question is to u, owners, if that snake wraps around you, isn't everything too late? how would u free yourself? i'd be scared to death!! that Retic was big enough to swallow a human being!!!! this may sound naive, but i don't get it. did it ever happen that u fear your own snake?? just wondering....

Old 10-12-2004, 11:25 PM   #2
MGReptiles
It is standard protocol to have 2 people in the room when working with large boids. Yes if that snake would coil around you it would be over chances are...Have you watched a medium sized snake ie.boa coil around a live rat? Its eyes pop and fill with blood and at the same time its feet will turn purple and blue within seconds. You can also watch them take agnel(sp) breath when it just about over...Pretty interesting....

Old 10-13-2004, 05:23 PM   #3
TooManyBurmese
When I started getting in larger boids, I made myself a little kit of large bottle of vodka and a hose going to the hot water. I also always have another person with me during cleaning, handling, and feeding.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:27 PM   #4
MGReptiles
Was the vodva for the pain or to hit the snake..lol

Old 10-22-2004, 02:58 AM   #5
Retic-U-Lus
I also always have another person with me during cleaning, handling, and feeding.

This is really the only "safe" way to handle the big ones. I've watched (and been on the recieving end of) 15-17 foot females throwing their weight around. Impressive to say the least.

Old 11-01-2004, 04:04 PM   #6
CFoley
It is not always over, if you think smart during the action. I can not relate to something in the 20ft range, but I noce had what I would consider a near death experience with a burm in the neighborhood of 14ft. I managed to get into the bathtub and pour the faucet on the snake, causing her to release.

It is definitely the safest to have another person with you, but knowledge goes beyond that. If you have two people that dont know what they are doing, you may as well be alone.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:08 PM   #7
Omniherp
Precautions

Well, hopefully everyone that owns a snake that is, or may one day be, that large is prepared. We have a few pythons over 10 feet and we have a bottle of lemon juice (you know the cooking stuff in the lemon looking container) by the cages. We ALWAYS work in pairs and when one wants a snack and bites one of us, the other person gets the lemon juice and drops some in the snakes mouth. They release immediately that stuff is strong-taste it sometime . Water may burn or be too cold, and I really hate to waste good liquor. The lemon juice and team working are really the best way to go in my opinion. There are times that I still get nervous around the big "kids", but everytime I hesitate I get snapped at... so that tends to get you over it faster. Anyhow, if you are prepared for something like that, then when and if it happens you can tell the tale later and freak out your mom. LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!