Watch-Out! LLL Reptiles selling USED items as NEW! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
vakejairam
Watch-Out! LLL Reptiles selling USED items as NEW!

Hi,

Like many of you, I use the BOI as a resource. If I’m interested in purchasing an item (usually a snake), I simply perform a search, and proceed to read the commentary. I always factor in the chance of few reviews being more biased than others.

With that in mind, I’ve had great success with each transaction! Well this is one of first negative feedbacks, and it’s about LLL Reptiles. I will simply state the facts, and you can decide if it’s worth conducting business with them.

December 4, 2004 placed order for medium helix radiant panel. I received the panel on the evening of Dec. 12th. Upon inspection of the heat panel I noticed many scratches on the unit. I called LLL Reptiles to ask why the unit was so badly scratched up. With a “curt attitude” the sales person told me, “It’s new”.

The next morning I looked at the panel in daylight and noticed the scratches were deeper than I initially thought. They were more like gouges filled with dirt! The underside of the unit was filthy, and each corner was beat-up. I also noticed one corner had a little CRACK (this was clearly NOT due to shipping. The item was well packed).

I also noticed the underside of the unit was severely discolored. Below are a few pics of the unit. I feel it’s only fair to provide evidence of the condition of the unit.

I emailed LLL Reptiles, and “surprise surprise” they haven’t gotten back to me. Even if they did, this item should NOT have been sold as NEW.

It will be interesting to see if they get back to me or not...I'm betting "not".

Regards,

Vake Jairam

The whole underside looks like this...

Picture of cracked corner and discoloration of the corner

This isn't just dirt. These are scratches on each corner of the item. The whole back of the unit is scratched to hell.

Difficult to see, but the underneatch is stained yellow

Old 12-12-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
SPJ
That is in worse shape than mine that are in use.
I hope they make good on this for you.
At the price you have to pay to buy a new Helix panel, I would also be seriously ticked off if I got sent one in that condition and paid for a new one.
There is no way that thing is new. With that discoloration, it is at least a year old if not more.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
SPJ
I just noticed something. Where are the mounting brackets? That one has holes drilled into it and when I looked at mine, they don't have the holes. Looks like someone modified it instead of using the brackets.

Old 12-12-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
KNOBTAIL
I am not surprised that you may have

encountered some difficulties with LLL. I dont know what to attribute it to. I have asked them to provide an email address on their site that would allow me to send an email with an attachment if necessary, and they do not offer that other than an automated email service on their site. You never know whether they in fact received the email or not. You would have to call.
I had a problem with them pertaining to some Storr Monitors that I had purchased a couple of years ago. I eventually had to notify my credit card company to withold payment . That was the only way I was able to get someone to accommodate my needs. Otherwise, I found their employees a bit hypersensitive to my complaint and not eager to resolve the matter. They basically took the chance in attempting to fight the chargeback rather than handle the problem. They also told me they "never loose". Well they did! and I got my money back, and have kept far away from LLL.

Old 12-12-2004, 08:08 PM   #5
MGReptiles
I was wondering how they were selling them so cheaply.. I thought they must have bought a large lot buy...LOL..Nope just a few from the local trading papers.. I do hear bad thigns about there CS but have no first hand knowledge of it..Just the animals and crix.. Just demand a refund or a 30% refund if you want to keep the panel...
-Matt Graybeal

Old 12-12-2004, 08:22 PM   #6
SPJ
This is from their website. They don't say anything about them being new (or used for that matter). They just say they have a limited supply. They may refuse to help since the wording never said they were new. Bad loophole but if they go that route, it will show what kind of a business they are and one to stay away from.

Medium Helix Radiant Heat Panel

Helix radiant heat panels are the best in the industry! Easy to install, easy to clean, and have a 3 year warranty!

Note: *While Supplies Last. We have a limited stock, once we are out, we are out!*

Order
Product Medium Helix Radiant Heat Panel
Quantity
Type $65.99 each †3 for $190.00 ($63.33 each) †
† This product or type is overweight for normal shipping calculations. You will be contacted with final shipping charges.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #7
vakejairam
Quote:
They don't say anything about them being new (or used for that matter).
True, but since they are from a retail store, one would expect a new item.

In addition, when I called them on Sat. the sale assistant was quite abrupt in conversation, and stated several times that their panels are new, and NEVER been used.

Vake Jairam

Old 12-12-2004, 09:09 PM   #8
Lucille
On the phone, the sales person made an express warranty when she said it was new. Once made, those types of warranties are difficult to disclaim.

In addition, a business which deals primarily in new goods might have a duty to point out that it was selling used goods, I do not see that anywhere in their ad.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:51 PM   #9
The Reptile House
The owner was at a show all weekend that we attended in Pomona and that is probibly why he has not been able to reply back to you. I am sure they will take care of it. I had a few incubater problems and they fixed it with really great service.
Shanell The Reptile House

Old 12-13-2004, 02:18 AM   #10
snakebiteAZ1
Lll

I Go to all the Phoenix Reptile shows, and LLL are usually there.. The animals they have usually do not look the best, alot of W/C.. Also their customer service at the shows SUCKS!!! My wife asked the girl at the counter about a price of a UV bulb, she said hold on i'll find out, about 10-15 mins. later she returned and said i'm not sure but if you come back in a little while someone could help you.. Seemed like they really didn't care if they sold anything or not!! So with that in mind, i won't be purchasing any items from LLL.... Mike L. Everyone have a Happy Holiday and God Bless!!!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!