SOLD!! Forstens Tortoise Group-PRICE REDUCED - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Want to help support this site? Click here.

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
Alexcole
Forstens Tortoise Group-PRICE REDUCED

Forstens tortoises. Four (4) WC (wild caught) subadults.
These are not fresh imports. Three of these tortoises have been in my care for 11 months or more, and were in the country with a previous owner (not the distributor) prior to my acquisition of them. I can prove this with correspondence and PayPal records. The fourth tortoise is a more recent import and acquisition, as of February this year, which again can be proven with a receipt.
All four tortoises have good appetites and eat well.
All four tortoises have been recently dewormed with metronidazole and fenbendazole via stomach tube.
These tortoises have been outdoors year round in central Florida since acquisition. They are housed separately, and should remain that way, as they are aggressive towards each other even at this age.
I do not know the sexes of these tortoises due to their age and size. Additional pictures available.

$700 each shipped or $2700 for group of 4 shipped. Shipping charges included in price assumes domestic shipment.

PayPal accepted.
Email me at alexcolezoovet@hotmail.com or text 813-334-8436.
Attached Images

Contact User Check User
Old 05-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
ADD Reptiles
Stop importing these, they're an endangered species

Old 05-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD Reptiles View Post
Stop importing these, they're an endangered species
First thing (as a moderator)- Knock off any negative commentary in ad threads. This is not the place. If you have a problem with a person, product, or practice, you can address it privately via PM, email, telephone, telegram, Morse code transmission, or smoke signals.

Second thing (for explanatory purposes relative to your direct comment)- If you had read the ad, you would understand that he never stated he imported these, so telling him to stop importing them would mean he would have to stop doing something he has not been doing (or start something he is not doing just to stop doing that thing...).

Third thing (for greater explanation of impact)- This species occurs primarily in Sulawesi. If you know of Sulawesi, you know the land there is being deforested heavily as well as mined, although the deforestation is the most critical element of its environmental destruction. The island's ecology is basically being wrecked. That is not yet stopping and it is likely that it will continue. Many of the species endemic to the area will be severely cut down or wiped out. These forstenii do not reproduce quickly and they are not so agile as to outrun machetes, chainsaws, bulldozers, and mining equipment (or simply human hands). The chance of them getting wiped out if left to the current progression of the island's state is high. In the meantime, people here and elsewhere are attempting to establish founders to assure the species will at least survive in captivity rather than face full-on extinction. They are bred in captivity, but not yet in significant numbers. These imports can, in skilled and enthusiastic hands, be used to establish additional founders and collect as much genetic diversity as one can in the face of nigh-inevitable in situ losses. These tortoises are not the easiest to establish as imports, but that is the situation those of us in chelonian herpetoculture face and are trying to make the most of. When we can get one acclimated to its new life here, the achievement is a victory of sorts. Animals such as these in the ad are very important for the future of the species, so please understand the more global-level impact of the interwoven web of consideration involving factors such as environmental degradation, field collection, exports, imports, acclimation of founding stock, and -finally- captive reproduction. The people working with these at the level of projects (not simply opening crates to sell off the goodies) are not doing it primarily for the money, but the enjoyment and privilege of being able to contribute to the preservation of as many members of the species as we can. Is this ideal relative to saving their habitat? No. Is this what we have to deal with in the face of harsh realities? Yes.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
Will E
Alex, by any chance do you know if these were from Sulawesi, or one of the outlying islands where they range? I know, it's a long-shot question, but you might know?

Old 06-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #5
Alexcole
Will, I honestly don't know. I purchased only one from a distributor/importer, and got no information about its origin. The other three came from individuals who had owned them for some time prior to me acquiring them. I have always assumed they are Sulawesi origin.
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #6
Alexcole
SOLD PENDING PAYMENT.
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!