Bad Guy Do not buy from herphobbyist91 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
kit.c.knight
Angry Do not buy from herphobbyist91

On profile the name: David Ramos.
Email provided: denzellll91@gmail.com.
PayPal name: Daniel Gonzalez.
Story: Seller with 4 Elgaria multicarnata photos. He wanted $65 each plus $60 flat rate shipping. I paid via PayPal within hours of the post, with extra just in case shipping was more ($370 total). Seller asked if I could "confirm receipt" before lizards were shipped to release the funds. I refused, within hours seller refunded PayPal money.
Conclusion: likely a scammer.
-Kit

Old 08-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #2
tlmoon
Interesting...by "confirm receipt" did he want you to certify that you had received the animals, before you actually did? Definitely questionable at best and I'm glad you got a refund.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #3
kit.c.knight
Yes, he wanted me to say that I received the lizards before I did.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
Big Time Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit.c.knight View Post
On profile the name: David Ramos.
Email provided: denzellll91@gmail.com.
PayPal name: Daniel Gonzalez.
Story: Seller with 4 Elgaria multicarnata photos. He wanted $65 each plus $60 flat rate shipping. I paid via PayPal within hours of the post, with extra just in case shipping was more ($370 total). Seller asked if I could "confirm receipt" before lizards were shipped to release the funds. I refused, within hours seller refunded PayPal money.
Conclusion: likely a scammer.
-Kit

Kit,
Thank You for posting your experience with this scam artist, now others can be warned!

Lynn Peterson
Big Time Reptiles

Old 08-28-2018, 11:31 PM   #5
bvuille
If he is a scammer, why did he refund your money?

Old 08-28-2018, 11:54 PM   #6
kit.c.knight
How PayPal works is you pay the seller for the item. PayPal holds the funds until the buyer "confirms receipt." That function indicates to PayPal the described item was received. The funds are then released to the seller. Because this seller asked me to confirm receipt before I had the live lizards, he was asking me to give the money to him before I had the lizards. That's not how trade works. I'm telling you this in hopes that you don't go giving money to people on this site without having the described items, including animals, in your hand. Only use PayPal, or the like, to buy from sellers here. The seller likely ended the transaction because he never had the lizards in the first place.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:23 AM   #7
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit.c.knight View Post
How PayPal works is you pay the seller for the item. PayPal holds the funds until the buyer "confirms receipt." That function indicates to PayPal the described item was received. The funds are then released to the seller. Because this seller asked me to confirm receipt before I had the live lizards, he was asking me to give the money to him before I had the lizards. That's not how trade works. I'm telling you this in hopes that you don't go giving money to people on this site without having the described items, including animals, in your hand. Only use PayPal, or the like, to buy from sellers here. The seller likely ended the transaction because he never had the lizards in the first place.
It usually does not work like that, but new sellers operating over some trigger-inducing dollar amount sometimes have to deal with that process. I have had to guide a few new sellers through this with a gentle hand here and there over the years.

For most experienced sellers, there is no such hurdle. Nor should there be.

What was concerning here is the person wanted you to confirm delivery/receipt/arrival when it had not actually happened. It set off alarm bells for you and it would have likewise done so for me. I am not sure this was a scam, but I would not take the risk as an experienced buyer without knowing what I was getting into (like if I had to bring a person to PayPal to get a deal done when the person had no prior experience dealing with any of this - as in selling at all at distance). From another perspective, a party could have refunded because he did not want to have a buyer claim lack of receipt/delivery or make a challenge during transit. Not sure what is the case here, but treading carefully at least prevents a loss and I would likely not have completed the deal as a buyer either.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:04 AM   #8
herphobbyist91
Kit I sold to you last year so I'm not sure why you made the drastic assumption.

I am not used to paypal holding the money like that. So to be better safe than sorry I used the refund option. Usually when paid through paypal the funds are immediately available. I thought maybe paypal is holding it because you didnt have sufficient funds.

You could have asked lol

Old 08-29-2018, 04:39 AM   #9
nickolasanastasiou
David, did you ask him to mark the animals as received prematurely? Why is the name associated with the PayPal account listed as Daniel Gonzalez?

Kit, did you successfully buy from the same person previously? If so, why did you not offer that information to round out the presentation of information since it looked as though it was more of an "unknown" by context?

Old 08-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
kit.c.knight
David (Daniel?)
I did buy 3 Elgaria kingii from a Daniel Gonzalez (listed on PayPal) on Nov. 20, 2017. But, when you contacted me, I did not know of 2 aliases for you. I am very happy with that purchase. But, why the two names? Why did you refund the money without saying why? Part of doing business is being safely transparent and this deal was marked by red flags. Please elaborate. Best,
-Kit Knight

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
alligator lizard, scammer