Reptile Addicts (NY)-Information - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
tadams
Reptile Addicts (NY)-Information

I purchased an adult female corn snake on September 4, 2004 at the Carolina Reptile and Exotic Animal Show in Raleigh, NC. She was quarantined and kept in a separate room away from other snakes. Two weeks later, the snake began regurgitating all meals. A routine fecal was performed with negative results. Regurgitation continued and I requested a specific test to check for Cryptosporidium. A sample was sent to an outside lab for testing and came back positive. Cryptosporidiosis is highly contagious and eventually fatal. It is a protozoan parasite that is most commonly passed through infected food, water and feces. The handler may also transfer it to healthy animals if they have not washed their hands before they go to the next cage.

This snake had to be euthanized and all her furnishings thrown away to prevent the risk of transferring it to my other snakes; corns and ball pythons. I notified the show's promoter and the show veterinarian and advised them of what had occurred and that the vendor was possibly Reptile Addicts out of New York.

On April 30, 2005, I returned to the Carolina Reptile and Exotic Animal Show and confirmed that the vendor was Reptile Addicts from New York. I spoke to the same man who sold me the snake and showed him my documentation from the veterinarian and the lab. I was told that he didn't know what had happened to the snake after I bought it and there was no guarantee on the animal. In addition, I was told that Cryptosporidium was a necessary parasite for the digestion of their food. I was told that he would make me a deal on another animal and I declined this offer. I advised the show promoter of our conversation and this vendor was placed on his complaint list.

I felt like this information needed to be shared with other herpers so they could make an informed decision before they buy.

Terry Adams, North Carolina

Old 05-03-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
Zoo Supply
Hey terry

Hey Terry,
Nice to see a first post, too bad it is in this matter. Some of the "etiquette" for the BOI is to post any proof you have. This would mean that if you have any pictures or scanned images of your vet reports then you post them on here. This would solidify your claims.

As for Reptile Addicts and John and Fred Kick, the owners, I used to deal with them on a weekly basis when I worked for a small store in NY. They "piggy backed" with a fish distributor to wholesale reptiles to the stores in NY.

I got some good animals, some bad, mostly marginal or average. Crypto generally does not show up as much as most people think, and I would be quite interested to see the vet report on this one.

I will also say this, I will have to double check tomorrow, but my vet (A very well respected herp vet) claims that crypto tests notoriously create false positives, and that it is quite hard to detect.

I do not mean to insinuate that you are not telling the truth, not by any means. Would just definately help to prove your claim.

TOM

Old 05-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
liquidleaf
Not quite sure if this is the same people - but a store in Lockport, NY by the name of Pets Plus (specializing in reptiles and tropical fish) used to have a website by the name of reptileaddicts.com or very similar. I've always had good experiences with Pets Plus - not sure if this store is related to Reptile Addicts at all or not.....

Old 05-04-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
Zoo Supply
Yup

Yeah, those are the same guys. Dont know if they are still in the retail store, but they used to be based in the back of that store and upstairs.
TOM

Old 05-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
tadams
Reptile Addicts-Aditional Information

Hi Tom,
I have attached, I hope, a scanned copy of both the lab report and bill from the veterinarian. The vet sent the sample out to the lab for the specific crypto testing. It's my first time posting on BOI so thank you for your reply.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf img004.pdf (58.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: pdf img006.pdf (71.1 KB, 92 views)

Old 05-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
Bill_Leverton
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidleaf
Not quite sure if this is the same people - but a store in Lockport, NY by the name of Pets Plus (specializing in reptiles and tropical fish) used to have a website by the name of reptileaddicts.com or very similar. I've always had good experiences with Pets Plus - not sure if this store is related to Reptile Addicts at all or not.....
yes they are My Ex partner use to get stuff from them and never had a problem

Old 01-17-2006, 04:07 AM   #7
U1SICKBOY
Pets Plus is a retail pet shop, Reptile Addicts is the wholesale reptile shop upstairs. John and Fred Kick are the owners. I'm not saying your lying but these guys sell high end reptiles at most of the shows. I have gone to several shows with them and never once did we display any corns, are you sure you purchased from them?

Old 01-17-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
Cat_72
This is a pretty old post, I wouldn't count on a reply....

However, the following sentence pretty much plainly explains that he was certain he bought it from them.......

Quote:
I spoke to the same man who sold me the snake and showed him my documentation from the veterinarian and the lab. I was told that he didn't know what had happened to the snake after I bought it and there was no guarantee on the animal.
It also shows that the seller didn't argue the fact that he sold it to him, he just didn't want to give him any guarantees on it.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #9
Zoo Supply
You talk about reptile addicts like you are not a part of the business, and then, when you close out your statement you say that "we" dont display cornsnakes....is it safe to say that there is a connection between you and them?

Old 01-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
Dennis Hultman
Tom, I was thinking the same thing.
This is the other thread that he brought to the top of the BOI.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d=1#post343593

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!