evidence of canibalism? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-27-2005, 10:40 PM   #1
Gary D.
evidence of canibalism?

First off let me introduce myself and my question. Although I have a number of years of experience with numerous reptile species, I am not overly familiar with Hognose snakes (specificaly Western Hognose as it applies here). I have recently been asked to help supply some reptiles for a temporary museum display (3 months). They have a large and intricate display case approximately equivelant to a 65gal tank. In it they would like to display a group of 4 Western hognose snakes (this is not a question or discussion about communal keeping of snakes in general, so please, lets not go there.) In this case the group is comprised of 1.3 snakes, the male is aprox 14 inches in length , one female is aprox 15 inches and the remaining females are about 18 inches. Again this is a public museum display where visibility is somewhat important, and not just some "can I keep these together" question.

So to the point, I am aware that their natural history often states other snakes may be a part of a wild diet. For those of you with considerable experience with this species, has anyone ever witnessed canibalism amongst H. nasicus in captivity with well established specimins familiar with a rodent diet? Perhaps during mating trials?

Thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

GD

Old 06-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
skycock
with my baby easterns, if you feed them all at once-that is dropping toads in with the clutch, if two grab the same toad-you will end up with one full snake. i know this from experience. just thought i would share
trey

Old 06-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
reptilebreeder
Communal feeding of any snakes, particularly with hatchlings/newborns, can often end up with some missing snakes, not really cannibalism per se, but more of a feeding accident. Snakes should always be fed separately.

As for the original question, I don't know of any instances myself. I don't have personal experience with keeping them together "permanently", only brief breeding periods (for all my snakes, whether cannibalistic or not). I know of other keepers/breeders who keep pairs together with no problems.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:54 AM   #4
Wilomn
I've had a trio together for the last 7 years or so. I have kept hatchlings in the same container as well and no problems there either. Just be sure to feed well and separately.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!