Twins - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-16-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
dzoo
Twins

I got only one viable egg from one of my westerns this year but was pleasently surprised to get TWO hatchlings! Pic attached.....
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
Jeremy Letkey
That is awesome. Congratulations!!

Old 06-17-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
ecmorrell
Too bad it's not a two headed snake! That's what I want more than anything.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
HerpAddict
They are too cute!! Maybe this is a stupid question, but is it possible for them to be identical? I don't know much about snakes, so I thought I'd ask.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
ecmorrell
I don't know... there were twin boa constrictors at the pet store I frequent... I'd like to know!

Old 06-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #6
Wilomn
I've had twin ball pythons a couple of times and twin hognoses once. The patterns were always different so I don't think they would qualify as identicle. It's still pretty cool when it happens.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
dzoo
identical twins?

It would be hard to tell if they are identical twins or not, in Bill Love's Corn Snake book it says twins can be identical or fraternal, he gives an example of 2 different color corns hatching from one egg so they would have to be fraternal.....

Old 06-19-2005, 01:57 AM   #8
aliceinwl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn
I've had twin ball pythons a couple of times and twin hognoses once. The patterns were always different so I don't think they would qualify as identicle. It's still pretty cool when it happens.
I don't think that different patterns would necessisarily mean that they're not identical. One of the first cat clones was cloned from a calico and came out looking more tortishell. In the case of these cats, pattern formation is random, so it's possible to have genetically identical cats with different patterns. I'm not sure how pattern formation works in herps...

Really cool picture btw!

-Alice

Old 06-28-2005, 08:42 AM   #9
g&mgeckos
Almost like Christmas in June! That is very cool!

Old 06-28-2005, 08:55 AM   #10
Jim O
Actually if you look at the inside of the egg and there is only yolk sac then you know for sure that they are "identical" regardless of pattern. In "fraternal" twinning, which is simply an error in shelling, there will always be two sacs. In identical twins there can be two sacs also, if the split happened early enough. VPI produced some JCP's years ago where identical twinning was common. Yasser Moustafa at Spitfire Reptiles (www.spitfirereptiles.com) produced 16 hatchlings from 10 eggs in one clutch of Irian Jaya Carpets this year. I believe that they all were single yolk eggs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!