Burm vs. Retic decision.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 
 
  Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
Stevey
Burm vs. Retic decision....

Well I have finally made the decision to go larger... Currently I own 3-Rtb's 4-Bp's and a few diff colubrids.... I am now deciding between a male retic or a male burm... My question is which one is usually the more docile of the two?... I know that both can be "tamed" but am looking for an average.. Also I have seen other posts where some have stated that once out of their enclosures they have never been bitten by a retic where as they have been hit by a burm even after it had been out for awhile... Any opinions help thanks
 
Old 09-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
Junkyard
I was actually told the opposite by a rescue owner in Washington, he said to never trust a retic. After doing some searching I decided to go for a burm. This little thing I have had for a two months now and she is still yet to calm down. I hold her often, but at the moment she refuses to settle down. So here is my advice. Hold them before you buy, find one that you are comfortable with. I am not sure what will come of my burm, but I will always make sure she is well fed and have a big cage, even if she decides to never like me. I cannot let her go she is too cool.
 
Old 09-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
hhmoore
I'm not so sure "average" temperament should be your primary consideration, esp since there are so many things that can affect their demeanor at any given time (temperature, hunger level, shed cycle, light, surroundings). I have worked with both, as well as the other giant snakes, and my opinion is that you should base your decision on what you want AND what you can reasonably expect to take care of. Do you have someone you can count on to assist you with the care of a truly large snake - Have you ever seen a 16'+, 150#+ snake up close? Handled or worked with one? Just imagine the time when the two of you don't see eye to eye...say, it just doesn't want to go back into that cage. What if the 35# pig you gave it last week just didn't satisfy its appetite, and now you have to clean the cage and he's HUNGRY (or worse yet, you haven't fed him for a month and he wants food NOW!...and he and the cage are both soaked from urine). keep in mind what it will take to house him - are you willing to devote that kind of space for the next 20+ years? and better start thinking about food sources, and the COST of feeding them. Another consideration is legality. Maybe there isn't a problem in your area (whereever you are) yet, but what will you do when a nosey neighbor or 3 petitions the court because your pet's presence in the neighborhood frightens them...or when local or state law is enacted and you are told that you have 90 days to comply? will you be willing to pay the cost of a permit, if one is even offered? To go on the record and have it be public knowledge that you have such a creature in your home? Believe me, I'm not trying to dissuade you. I just want to make sure that you fully realize the long term potential. That said, IMHO, retics are much more interesting captives and, if I had the room to spare and a willingness to deal with the required permit, they would definitely be my choice
 
Old 09-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
After doing some searching I decided to go for a burm. This little thing I have had for a two months now and she is still yet to calm down. I hold her often, but at the moment she refuses to settle down. So here is my advice. Hold them before you buy, find one that you are comfortable with. I am not sure what will come of my burm, but I will always make sure she is well fed and have a big cage, even if she decides to never like me. I cannot let her go she is too cool.
I commend you on your attitude - don't give up hope. young burms can be little monsters. It seems like they are always hungry, and it makes them cranky. it is quite likely that she will settle down, but don't be surprised if this happens again between 6-9 ft in length. Maybe it is due to a major growth period, or hormone development, but I have seen many go through the "terrible twos". (for some reason, I'm thinking that it was mainly with males - big surprise, huh...developing attitude as they reach sexual maturity)
 
Old 09-03-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
snakebiteAZ1
Talking Burm or Retic

I have had Retic's and Burms Wild caught and CB, all sizes from 2ft to 17 feet. All i can say is that the wild caught young retic's can be nasty, mine finally settled down after a year or so. I now have a super tiger male retic that is approx 12ft long, and is a big baby, when i feed him a rabbit he has never had the typical retic reaction "rip your arm off" type. He just takes it like a dog does when you tell them "Easy". It's unreal!!! Also have a 17 foot female normal that has never even tried to strike at me, i take all of them out of their enclosures to feed them.. I have had a few Burms that are cage aggressive, but once out no problem.. I think you just have to be respective of any of the larger snakes, and don't leave yourself wide open for any chance of a mishap, always have another person around, just in case!! If you have any questions just email me at leonard@gigonet.com Mike Leonard
 
Old 09-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #6
Junkyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
I commend you on your attitude - don't give up hope. young burms can be little monsters. It seems like they are always hungry, and it makes them cranky. it is quite likely that she will settle down, but don't be surprised if this happens again between 6-9 ft in length. Maybe it is due to a major growth period, or hormone development, but I have seen many go through the "terrible twos". (for some reason, I'm thinking that it was mainly with males - big surprise, huh...developing attitude as they reach sexual maturity)

I have been wondering how long it may take for her to settle down. She does not bite nearly as often now. Not a big deal for me to wait I have a lot of patience, I have WC Surinam's that have taken over 6 months to finally relax. Your info was great, thank you(even though I did not start the thread) Stevey should have a lot to go by because of it.
 
Old 09-03-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
Stevey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
I'm not so sure "average" temperament should be your primary consideration, esp since there are so many things that can affect their demeanor at any given time (temperature, hunger level, shed cycle, light, surroundings). I have worked with both, as well as the other giant snakes, and my opinion is that you should base your decision on what you want AND what you can reasonably expect to take care of. Do you have someone you can count on to assist you with the care of a truly large snake - Have you ever seen a 16'+, 150#+ snake up close? Handled or worked with one? Just imagine the time when the two of you don't see eye to eye...say, it just doesn't want to go back into that cage. What if the 35# pig you gave it last week just didn't satisfy its appetite, and now you have to clean the cage and he's HUNGRY (or worse yet, you haven't fed him for a month and he wants food NOW!...and he and the cage are both soaked from urine). keep in mind what it will take to house him - are you willing to devote that kind of space for the next 20+ years? and better start thinking about food sources, and the COST of feeding them. Another consideration is legality. Maybe there isn't a problem in your area (whereever you are) yet, but what will you do when a nosey neighbor or 3 petitions the court because your pet's presence in the neighborhood frightens them...or when local or state law is enacted and you are told that you have 90 days to comply? will you be willing to pay the cost of a permit, if one is even offered? To go on the record and have it be public knowledge that you have such a creature in your home? Believe me, I'm not trying to dissuade you. I just want to make sure that you fully realize the long term potential. That said, IMHO, retics are much more interesting captives and, if I had the room to spare and a willingness to deal with the required permit, they would definitely be my choice

Thank you for your reply. All that you have covered has already been given much thought and preperation. Call me crazy but I still am going to add one to our collection... I have the opportunity to handle a descent amount of burms all the time but not retics... It's a tough one to call as I am interested in both. I am more than likekly leaning towards a burm.
 
Old 09-03-2005, 06:22 PM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevey
Thank you for your reply. All that you have covered has already been given much thought and preperation. Call me crazy but I still am going to add one to our collection... I have the opportunity to handle a descent amount of burms all the time but not retics... It's a tough one to call as I am interested in both. I am more than likekly leaning towards a burm.
I wouldn't call you crazy at all - and as I said, I really wasn't trying to dissuade you. Honestly, I was aiming that response as much at anyone that may be contemplating a similar decision as I was at you. I could have just simply stated: "Dude, go with the retic"...but having seen the number of large constrictors that people decide they can't care for, or just don't want, I opted for the long winded response. For me, it would be a purple albino. and maybe a white phase. and probably a tiger. oh, and a nice calico. and I would need a few African rocks. aaaah jeez, now look what you did. I'm gonna have to start makin' room around here so I can go shopping.
 
Old 09-03-2005, 06:29 PM   #9
hhmoore
If I could only pick one, it would probably be a rock - believe it or not. they're just such great snakes. I've had so many (WC rescues and adoptions, as well as purchases) and, typically, I've gotten them pretty handleable (if still a bit squirmy). Many as tame as any burm you will come across...with me. Nobody else could get near them. I kinda liked that. lol.
 
Old 09-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
Stevey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
I wouldn't call you crazy at all - and as I said, I really wasn't trying to dissuade you. Honestly, I was aiming that response as much at anyone that may be contemplating a similar decision as I was at you. I could have just simply stated: "Dude, go with the retic"...but having seen the number of large constrictors that people decide they can't care for, or just don't want, I opted for the long winded response. For me, it would be a purple albino. and maybe a white phase. and probably a tiger. oh, and a nice calico. and I would need a few African rocks. aaaah jeez, now look what you did. I'm gonna have to start makin' room around here so I can go shopping.
Lmao!! I know exactly what you mean about making the room and going shopping!! You are absolutely right about the large number of big boids that people thought were "cute" but get rid of when they are older... I am currently building a new custom enclosure... will get pics up as soon as I am finished.. Should be ready for the new addition round the end of Oct...
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: Big Burm or Retic 18-20 ft. petekoloz Pythons 0 12-22-2004 11:39 AM
UPDATED-Tiger Retic X Burm Hybrids sunshine Pythons 0 10-02-2003 10:32 AM
100% het retic, 11 foot albino burm, Yellowhead retic hardcoremarine Pythons 0 10-01-2003 09:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 AM.







TESTING!
Fauna Top Sites


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.05868101 seconds with 9 queries
Content copyrighted 2002-2018, FaunaClassifieds, LLC