Mouth Rot - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
madamwlf
Mouth Rot

Can anyone tell me how to treat mouth rot?? I took the snake the vet and was told to clean the mouth out daily and rinse it with betadine but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. The temps are around 90 degrees. Anything else I can do for this snake???

Old 11-28-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
Karen Hulvey
If you aren't already, keep the snake on newspaper until the mouth rot is gone. Other than what the vet already told you, that's all I can think of.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:27 AM   #3
cookreptiles
one of my ball pythons had mouth rot a while back and the vet had me give her baytril via injection every 3 days for 30 days. you might want to call and see if your vet can prescribe some--that seemed to take care of things for my snake.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:46 AM   #4
PaulSage
I've never had to treat one of my own snakes for mouthrot, but helped with a few at the store where I worked. We were just told to keep them on paper towels and clean the affected area 2X daily with listerine. It worked, but I have no idea how appropriate or humane the mouthwash thing actually is.

Good luck with it.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:04 AM   #5
hhmoore
There are several threads on here dealing with this subject. basically, start with increasing temps (done); paper towel or other plain paper as substrate (mentioned above); clean the infected/affected area, making sure that you swab out any caseous matter...popular "home remedies" include Listerine, hydrogen peroxide, betadine. I've used each of them over the years, and all of them have pros and cons. **REMEMBER** mouthrot is a secondary infection in most cases. if symptomatic & topical therapies are ineffective (no improvement) after a few days, systemic antibiotics are probably indicated. I must say that Baytril every 3 days x 30 is a bit off from the recommended/normal treatment - but I do not know the full story on that snake. Good luck with it

Old 11-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
jsrocket
Like Harald said, mouthrot is usually secondary to a systemic (full body) infection. Take her back to the vet; he will probably prescribe antibiotics.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!