How would you approach this? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 
 
  Want to help support this site? Click here.

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #11
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrpnBils
sounds good about the ringnecks. There are a few species that are fairly common but are giving me a hard time like that and I have no idea why.
Out here they are very gregarious. If I find one, I find five, sometimes under the same rock.
 
Old 04-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #12
TrpnBils
That's what I keep hearing... I just got back from a whole afternoon of flipping logs around some wetlands and I didn't find a single snake. I came back with some pics of a spotted salamander, some redback salamanders, two snapping turtles (not from flipping logs obviously ) and some far away shots of painted turtles that I couldn't get anywhere near.

I'm gonna try road cruising tonight to try for some milk snakes in the same area.
 
Old 04-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #13
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrpnBils
That's what I keep hearing... I just got back from a whole afternoon of flipping logs around some wetlands and I didn't find a single snake. I came back with some pics of a spotted salamander, some redback salamanders, two snapping turtles (not from flipping logs obviously ) and some far away shots of painted turtles that I couldn't get anywhere near.

I'm gonna try road cruising tonight to try for some milk snakes in the same area.
Good luck with the night drive. Post those pics when you get a chance, love to see the Spotted, especially.
 
Old 04-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #14
TrpnBils
Well, I'm kicking myself right now. I got plenty of spotted pictures earlier in the year so I didn't bother cleaning him up at all. Now that I sit down and look at the pictures, I wish I had.... Here are the "good" spotted shots from a couple of weeks ago, and I'll post up some others from today as soon as I get them resized.

One of them is a frog. It's either a leopard or pickerel frog, and I suck at telling one from the other, so hopefully somebody here can help me out...lol.





 
Old 04-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
TrpnBils
Here are a couple from today...the one snapper and the frog. It's a pickerel frog, right?



 
Old 04-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #16
Clay Davenport
Very nice photos Jeff. You definately have some talent for wildlife photography.
I particularly like the second shot of the spotted and the head on of the snapper. I've always loved snappers.
 
Old 04-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #17
Bahamut
I believe that frog is a leopard frog. The blotches on a Pickerel frog's back are more square shaped and in parallel rows, and the spot in the tympanum is black if it is present at all.
 
Old 04-13-2006, 09:44 PM   #18
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut
I believe that frog is a leopard frog. The blotches on a Pickerel frog's back are more square shaped and in parallel rows, and the spot in the tympanum is black if it is present at all.
I agree with Jeremiah on that; Leopard Frog, for the reasons he brought up. Awesome pics of the spotted, and the others. Thanks for sharing.
 
Old 04-13-2006, 09:52 PM   #19
TrpnBils
haha, see? I told you I suck at telling the difference.... That's cool though because I didn't have any pictures of a leopard frog before, so I can cross that off my list. I think I'm up to 23 or 24 of the 41 species of herps here in Erie County.
 
Old 04-13-2006, 10:00 PM   #20
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrpnBils
haha, see? I told you I suck at telling the difference.... That's cool though because I didn't have any pictures of a leopard frog before, so I can cross that off my list. I think I'm up to 23 or 24 of the 41 species of herps here in Erie County.
Not to shabby. I've got like 140 +- for CA. That number is old, don't know what a lot of the recent taxonomy changes have done to that number, as it's hard to keep up lately. Maybe I should just stick with the county and not the state. I need to do a head count, of both the actual life list and those that I have a photo of, and see where I'm at.
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics of Endeavour on approach Ken Harbart General BS forum 6 09-12-2007 08:30 AM
Scammers are trying a new approach SPJ General BS forum 2 02-21-2007 05:16 PM
A pro-active approach to the BOI WebSlave FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum 47 02-17-2005 06:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 PM.




Ebates Coupons and Cash Back



TESTING!
Fauna Top Sites


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.04642391 seconds with 10 queries
Content copyrighted 2002-2014, FaunaClassifieds, LLC