How big is your adult male hoggie? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-02-2006, 03:59 AM   #1
Razaiel
How big is your adult male hoggie?

I was at my local store yesterday when the reptile guy offered me a male to breed with my female. I wasn't going to go there as (a) would need quarantining and (b) the male was so small!!!

It was only about 18" maximum and half the girth of my adult female hoggy (she's 35" long). She would eat him - in fact she tried to eat her previous male partner where she was kept before we bought her.

Is this a normal size for male hognoses? Personally I would have thought it was a juvenile .... so small. He was cute though

Old 07-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Jungle Gems
Which species of Hognose are you referring to? In general, males are noticeably if not significantly smaller than females, although there are exceptions. I've noticed extreme variations of size even within a single species, most notably with Easterns. It is entirely possible that this is a full-grown male... conversely, it is also entirely possible that this animal is still a juvenile. Tough call, especially without more information.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
antisocial
my adult male is 21" tops and significantly smaller than my female in girth. wouldnt worry about her eating him just keep an eye on the pair when you put them together

Old 07-04-2006, 02:55 AM   #4
ladyserpent7
its usually normal that the male is smaller than the female..in a lot of snake species, not just hogs, but if your snake has a tendency to try to eat her mate...at least try one thats not that much smaller

Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 AM   #5
Razaiel
She's a Western ... and yes, it appears she does have a tendency to eat her mate. A year ago when she was with her previous mate they had to separate them - he had got a good way inside they think but they pulled him back out and he was fine. I shan't be doing any breeding this year but may do later on if a larger male is available.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:55 AM   #6
ladyserpent7
well doll..good luck w/ that...lets see if the males are up to it

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!