New Pixie Frog and Pac-Man - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
teamhead
New Pixie Frog and Pac-Man

Last week I got my first Pixie Frog and then today I purchased a Pac-Man. I've read much information on keeping both of these frogs and know that they are not to be kept in the same enclosure. Well despite that I have decided to experiment with the both of them living in the same enclosure. Right now the 20 gallon tank I have them living in is separated down the middle but the Pac-Man (Gilbert) is so small he can fit underneath through the rock bowl in there. I separated the cage for now until Gilbert is settled in a bit more. BTW the Pixie (Gus) is around 2 inches in size while Gilbert is only 1 inch. They actually have not even come into contact yet as Gus has been buried in his moss all day after I fed him.

From what I have read I have set my self up for failure caging these two frogs together but until I try I wont know for sure. I do believe I have a chance to be successful as I feel the Terrarium is large enough for the both of them at least for now along with the many hiding spots I have accommodated them. Being it the deep substrate with holes dug down in them covered in heavy amounts of moss, moss filled rock bowl or the log pushed into the substrate. One thing that has me worried is that the Pixie Frog is much larger the the Pac-Man but I don't know if he could actually eat him. But if there are any indications that lead me to believe the life of a frog is in danger I will have them separated permanently. That is if I'm not too late.

I hope some of you here will show some interest in my little experiment and enjoy the learning experience this is meant to be.

Those of you wishing to see pictures of my frogs and terrarium they can be found here: View Pictures

Pixie Videos: Vid 1 Vid 2

Thank you,
Jeremy Stewart
www.frogboards.com

Old 08-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
PsychoBillyNiki
the reason they shouldnt live together is because they eat eachother.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
mudbug
Agreed. I'd seperate them ASAP.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
mitch_rz
For the sake of experimentation, I say he should continue. As long as they're separated, nothing should happen.

But I've just seen the pictures and since you don't know a pixie's nature well enough you need to stop the experiment soon because pixie frogs like to roam around in their surroundings when they're young.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
teamhead
Well I'm back to report that I was unsuccessful in keeping these two frogs together. My larger Pixie frog ended up killing the smaller Pac-man. I really regret not trying this with a larger more equal in size Pac-man. What really surprise me was they lived so long together before the pixie ended up going for the kill. Now I probably wont experiment again like this at least not for a while but I leave myself unsatisfied with the way I conducted my own experiment. I still believe that if the two frogs were of equal size that they would be fine to keep together. I also am curious to know if I would of had more success if I had tried another Pixie instead of the Pac-man? One of my books I purchased says that its possible to keep 2 adult Pixies together.

Well if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Thank you,
Jeremy Stewart
www.frogboards.com

Old 09-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
lestat_tnt
I believe these frogs are able to gauge sizes, so they need to be the same size coinhabit. I have two baby's in cages near each other one is bigger than the other, the smaller one runs away thats how they survive. (they can gauge sizes)
Coinhabitation would probably be safer housing to fully grown adults together.

:note (these are not my frogs)

Old 01-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
Hypancistrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhead
Now I probably wont experiment again like this at least not for a while but I leave myself unsatisfied with the way I conducted my own experiment. I still believe that if the two frogs were of equal size that they would be fine to keep together.
For as simple and inexpensive as African Bullfrogs and Horned Frogs are to house, why would you bother cohabitating them and risking the death of one or the other?

You can house either one in a 10 gallon tank ($10 at most pets stores) retrofit some type of screen lid (it's not like they are climbing out of there) and add some dechlor water or, if you prefer and can spare the extra $3-$5, Bed-a-Beast, and presto! Instant frog habitat. If you want to be really cheap, replace the 10 gallon with a $1 plastic sweater box from any Dollar Store, and housing them suddenly becomes cheaper than feeding them.

I see no reason to continue such experiments when the outcome will inevitably be the same, and there's not really a practical reason for doing so. Continuation of experiments like these indicates a complete lack of respect for the lives of your animals.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
CurtisF
I agree, Lauren.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!