PDA

View Full Version : Fed Ex and Signature Releases

SPJ
07-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I had a package delivered this morning but haven't heard from the buyer yet.
Delivered at 10:20am and it is now 6:55pm.
This is what the webite shows.

Signature release on file
Package left at front door

What is the point of me requiring a signature? And why does Fed Ex still charge you the signature fee if they don't get one?

These signature releases bite almost as bad as buyers who don't let you know the animals arrived.

barbie69
07-04-2007, 09:43 AM
My FedEx delivery guys only require a signature about 25% of the time. I am always surprised to hear them pull up and pull away without even knocking. I do hear them though, especially since they are not surprise packages, they are expected and eagerly awaited packages usually.
I hope the buyer got them inside soon after they were dropped at the door. If they did not get a signature and you required one, it is not your fault at this point if the buyer left the package on the porch. I really hope the animals are okay.

monkeywrench133
07-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Your buyer may have signed for it despite what the website says. I'm always home to recieve and even though I do sign for the package, the website will say

"Signature release on file
Package left at front door"

I had about $400 worth of Ts shipped to me a few months ago, and thats what Fedex's system said even though I had been handed the box and signed for it. I made sure to call the seller before I even opened the box because his live arrival gaurantee was void if no one was there to recieve the package on the first delivery attempt.

I don't know why their system does it, but it could potentially burn the buyer as well as cause problems for the seller.

shrap
07-04-2007, 12:52 PM
I have had the same scenario as Erin happen to me many times. Both as a shipper and as a buyer. Where I have signed and it says "left on porch".

I have also had buyers call me and tell me they have received the package, then I will check on FedEx's site to see what time it was delivered and it will say "left on porch". But the people literally called me within 10-15 minutes of the time it says "left on porch". So I would have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they were there to accept delivery.

The only way I can see to cover your ass (as a buyer) in these situations is to make sure you call the seller immediately to verify delivery of your package.

monkeywrench133
07-04-2007, 12:58 PM
The only way I can see to cover your ass (as a buyer) in these situations is to make sure you call the seller immediately to verify delivery of your package.

I took a couple pictures of the box before I opened it, both with my regular digital camera, and with my phone camera, which I immediately emailed to myself so that I'd have something time stamped that showed the box actually was in my possession.

SPJ
07-04-2007, 03:49 PM
I tried contacting him but haven't heard back.

I am assuming that if there was a problem he would have gotten a hold of me right away so I guess all is well.

catawhat
07-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Last week, the Fed Ex guy just dropped the package (ie: snake) on the porch, didn't even knock :angry:. If it weren't for the fact that the dogs alerted me I wouldn't have even known he came when he did. Yes I was expecting it that morning, but to me that is not the point.

monkeywrench133
07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
I tried contacting him but haven't heard back.

I am assuming that if there was a problem he would have gotten a hold of me right away so I guess all is well.

Did you ever hear anything about this Steve? Just curious.

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
07-08-2007, 08:01 PM
I try to remember when I make a sale to specify that live arrival and health is guaranteed IF the package is accepted on the first delivery attempt AND the buyer calls or emails me within 1 hour of delivery to update on condition of the animals.

I forget to make the stipulation sometimes......and I always cringe when I do....(I'm shipping one out tomarrow and I forgot to include the 1 hour part in our negotiations), but I try to remember to include it!

Hope your animals arrived safely at thier new home SPJ!

SPJ
07-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Did you ever hear anything about this Steve? Just curious.

Fed Ex delivered to the wrong apartment. :angry:
The snakes are OK though but the buyer didn't end up getting them until 4pm and had to go to the other apartment to get them.
I refunded part of the shipping to him and am now arguing with Fed Ex over this.

2nd shipment in a row that went to the wrong address. :NoNo: At least this one was the fiasco like the last one. They dropped the box at the door, the people at the wrong address found the box and called the police because the box said it contained live snakes. That brought animal control to get the package and open it, and basically all hell broke loose. Frantic buyer, crazy NJ authorities, and me on the phone losing my temper. You'll probably be reading about it in the herps in the news section. :rolleyes:

Still charged full price and still charged the signature charge though. :angry:
I have been disputing it with Fed Ex so hopefully I will get satisfaction on out of this.

KJUN
07-09-2007, 09:21 PM
These signature releases bite almost as bad as buyers who don't let you know the animals arrived.

That bugs me a lot, too...but I was had a large breeder tell me "when shipping snakes, no news is good news." He has usually been correct - they let you know FAST if there is a problem, but they may never let you know if they arrive safe......lol.

SPJ
07-09-2007, 09:45 PM
That bugs me a lot, too...but I was had a large breeder tell me "when shipping snakes, no news is good news." He has usually been correct - they let you know FAST if there is a problem, but they may never let you know if they arrive safe......lol.

That is sooo true. If something is wrong they contact you within minutes but if all is good, you may never hear from them. :D

RowingMunkeyCU
07-10-2007, 09:28 AM
I try to remember when I make a sale to specify that live arrival and health is guaranteed IF the package is accepted on the first delivery attempt AND the buyer calls or emails me within 1 hour of delivery to update on condition of the animals.

I forget to make the stipulation sometimes......and I always cringe when I do....(I'm shipping one out tomarrow and I forgot to include the 1 hour part in our negotiations), but I try to remember to include it!

Hope your animals arrived safely at thier new home SPJ!

just an idea, you might make a couple of generic "fill-in-the-blank" type documents with your guarantee stipulations already down, and spaces just for details about the animal, buyer, price, etc. and include that with the invoice you send when shipping. Also would be a good idea to post your policy on your website (if you have one).

KJUN
07-10-2007, 10:20 AM

One hour seems a little extreme to me. I know it has taken me almost that long to open a package, sex things, check health, get to a computer or place to use my cell properly, etc. I'm not saying impossible, but extreme. Heck, if the animals arrived dead, they'll still be dead in 2 hours. As a customer, I don't think I'd personally agree to a 1 hour rule even though I typically send the sender a note within that time. I ask for 4 hour notice when I ship.

Of course, I'm not saying in the least bit that you can't require whatever you want - or that you are in the least bit wrong for following a 1 hour rule! :)

KJUN
07-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Still charged full price and still charged the signature charge though. :angry:
I have been disputing it with Fed Ex so hopefully I will get satisfaction on out of this.

Check your waiver if you are an approved shipper. It sucks, but they remove themselves from all liability with reptile shipments. If they LOSE the package, their "usual" waiver says they don't have to refund you shipping charges.

Still, it is the only legal way I can ship through a common carrier like that, so I am GLAD they allowed me to get such a waiver. No complaints on my end - not really. It is part of the costs of doing business, I guess, but it still gets me irate when they mess up.....lol.

AncientDNA
07-10-2007, 10:39 AM
What's with FedEx delivering to the wrong address? It happened to a package I shipped out last fall.
Anyway, when I'm going to receive a package I leave a note on the door for FedEx, in Large lettering, that I'm home and to ring the bell. It's worked every time so far.

omni
07-30-2007, 11:02 AM
I had some snakes delivered in June, it worked out ok. I noted the Fedex site didn't update in realtime, it was maybe a couple hours(i checked after delivery to see what it would read). What bugged me about the driver was that after knocking, he pressed me to "Just sign, the package is obviously not damaged, and we're not responsible for the contents, anyway. I have a lot of deliveries to make so I don't have time to stand here while you inspect it." I really do not like them now, but what can you do? Would it then have been on the seller to compensate me had any of them not arrived safely? I'm interested in particulars of shipping herps, and feel there may be no recourse against them say a careless driver or one who may have mental issues working for them mishandle a shipment. There are all sorts of ppl working as delivery drivers. What's to stop one from shaking the contents, maybe even violently out of malice or curiosity, knowing he won't be personally responsible for damaging a package? Or leaving one on the porch quietly slipping away w/o waiting a few moments to get a sig?

KJUN
07-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Well, you've made a couple of assumptions, I think, that are false. FedEx doesn't allow shipments of live harmless snakes WITHOUT a liability waiver. The whole "FedEx approved Shipper" thing just means they've approved your method of shipment (humane and, more importantly, they feel the snakes are escape proof) and you have signed a liability waiver. Whats that mean? well, it means the shipper waives all liability FedEx might have to the package. They aren't legally responsible for the contents whether it arrives damaged or not. They could drive over it with a truck, and FedEx isn't responsible. They could lose it and not be responsible. The SHIPPER/SELLER is the only one that can guarantee live arrival to the buyer. Period.

That's the down side. The good side is that, in exchange, they allow you to LEGALLY ship reptiles. Completely legally. I THANK FedEx for that. They are the only common carrier I now will use because of that. If you ship FedEx without a liability waiver, then you ship against their rules....and they aren't liable. PLUS, you probably didn't package and label them properly, so you broke federal regulations. Even if you use UPS, but don't label the outside properly as dictated by the Lacey Act, you are violating Federal law.

SURE, the liability Waiver is strict (probably too strict IMO), but it is the best LEGAL method around - except for Delta and other airlines, of course!

KJ

hhmoore
07-30-2007, 12:18 PM
KJ is right. You signing for the package, at least when it is reptiles, is simply acknowledging receipt. Condition of the box, or its contents, is irrelevant at that point.
As for your concerns about handling, I have observed drivers flipping boxes through the air or tossing them in the general direction of my front door, as well as being left upside down at my door (yes, they were clearly labeled THIS SIDE UP, and marked to show that the contents were LIVE). You are putting your trust in the seller's packaging, NOT the care demonstrated by shipiping company...sad though that may be.