PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Shippers Cut Corners !

homegrownherps
07-10-2007, 05:37 PM
I wasn’t going to make a public issue out of this, but after receiving two deliveries in one day (and many more over the past few years) for snakes, and seeing how other people pack and ship their animals is just appalling and inexcusable.

The first delivery was for two snakes (yearlings). They were packed, one each in a 16oz. deli cup. The box was roughly about 7X7X7 INCHES. Absolutely NO insulation what so ever.
It did have a cool pack that was a bit more than warm to the touch( wish I had a Temp Gun to see how warm it was in this box). As you can see in the photo, the box seems to have been squashed in transit. Which would not have happened if there were some insulation in it. I would also like to add, that this one was shipped UPS.

http://www.homegrownherps.com/pages/Gallery%202/trde01%20a.JPG

http://www.homegrownherps.com/pages/Gallery%202/trde02%20a.JPG

http://www.homegrownherps.com/pages/Gallery%202/trde03%20a.JPG

http://www.homegrownherps.com/pages/Gallery%202/trde04%20a.JPG

http://www.homegrownherps.com/pages/Gallery%202/trde05%20a.JPG

The second box was not quite as bad, but to see how a more "seasoned" breeder operates is scary to say the least.
A "homemade" box - seems to have been recycled from an old DVD player box. I know you have to spend money for shipping boxes... But jeez I pay about 68 cents for a 9X9X9 box, the Styrofoam to line box is about $1.00 per box, and a heat / cold pack is not much more than a $1.00. Is it really worth it to cut corners and save a few bucks? ! ! ! !

This box actually had a decent styro liner (also recycled), but the snake (a yearling Cape Gopher) itself was packed in and old, "recycled" bread crumbs container, which was packed firmly with pine shaving. :shrug01:

http://www.homegrownherps.com/pages/Gallery%202/cape01%20a.JPG

http://www.homegrownherps.com/pages/Gallery%202/cape02%20a.JPG

http://www.homegrownherps.com/pages/Gallery%202/cape03%20a.JPG

This subject is a pet peeve of mine, of all things to skimp on why would someone want to do it on the shipping, packing animals like this can only lead to future problems. Refunding the cost of the snake would be much more than the cost of proper shipping material.

Suncoast Herpetological
07-10-2007, 06:27 PM
It is amazing how some shipments are packed. A few years ago I bought two hatchling Hondos from a fairly well known breeder. They arrived at my work address in two 8 oz delis with no padding at all in the delis. They were in an old fishing reel box that measured 4.5' X 4.5'. No insulation or padding at all in the box. The worst thing was that the cheap weasel actually sent them UPS Saver. This was to Florida in August. The temp gun registered 89 on the intereior and this was after ten minutes in air conditioning. Both animals survived but they were gaping and most assuredly right on the edge.

I sent the seller a scathing Email which he did not even bother to respond to.

I know that Mike Greathouse once received a Hypo Boa that was packed in an uninsulated MilkBone Box.

It really is just crazy

Wolfy-hound
07-10-2007, 06:43 PM
That's appalling! I can get almost unlimited numbers of insulated boxes in mint condition for free from two different area vets and from POSSIBLY the drug stores. All those boxes are in mint(as close to new as physically is possible) and plenty of them.
THere's NO excuse for that shipping. I'd much rather the shipper say "I'll be delayed while I locate a suitable box" than to recieve a precious creature that suffered and died slowly from heat.
Inexcusable really.
Wolfy

garweft
07-10-2007, 07:10 PM
There is no excuse for not shipping in an insulated box, let alone using the bread crumb container in place of a cup or bag.

I use the 7"x7"x6" insulated boxes, from superior enterprise, for small orders all the time. They are a little tight but hold 3 - 4" deli cups pretty nice.

I haven't received anything yet that was shipped poorly. Everything has been in insulated boxes, packed individual in cups or bags, with plenty of padding material in and around the individual packaging. The worst I have seen personally was a box that was simply unmarked and looked more like an order of supplies. But it was insulated and packed well on the inside. They just need to invest in a sharpie. :D

homegrownherps
07-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Boy, the fun just doesn't stop today :shrug01:

Heres another transaction I am dealing with and I am afraid to see what this one looks like when it gets here tomorrow.

"Jim

I shipped her out today via FedEx by 10:30 a.m. collect charges to you.
The tracking number is ##########.

When you ship to me, just send it with the shipping charges collect to me. Also, there is only one FedEx office here in Del Rio, so they said no addy was needed on them. Just be sure to cold pack them and HOLD FOR PICKUP. Let me kmnow when you ship and thank you very much."

Now this was done w/o even sending me an email before hand to see if I agreed with it or not. (which I most definitely would not have agreed to).

This is a trade where we pay our own shipping on each end. :ack2:

Man I am really starting hate buying reptiles over the internet :rolleyes_

hhmoore
07-10-2007, 08:07 PM
You could always just send the stuff back in the same box, lol. if it was good enough to send to you, he shouldn't complain about getting it back.

I've gotten a couple of gems, too, Jim. I'll have to take a look to see if I still have either the boxes or the pictures.

homegrownherps
07-10-2007, 08:23 PM
You could always just send the stuff back in the same box, lol. if it was good enough to send to you, he shouldn't complain about getting it back.

I've gotten a couple of gems, too, Jim. I'll have to take a look to see if I still have either the boxes or the pictures.

That thought has crossed my mind , but I would still have to accept the package so I could re-pack it for the trip back.

I don't know what it is with some people, I even have a page on my website explaining the packing process with photos and step by step instructions. :shrug01:

hhmoore
07-10-2007, 08:27 PM
That thought has crossed my mind , but I would still have to accept the package so I could re-pack it for the trip back.

I don't know what it is with some people, I even have a page on my website explaining the packing process with photos and step by step instructions. :shrug01:
So you are considering not accepting it?

I'll trade with you, Jim...and even pack the stuff up nice :D

hhmoore
07-10-2007, 08:30 PM
btw - I was right in my suspicion...I finally sent the last of those bad shipping examples out in the recycling last week. Guess I can't play afterall

homegrownherps
07-10-2007, 08:49 PM
So you are considering not accepting it?

I'll trade with you, Jim...and even pack the stuff up nice :D

Yes, I am considering just sending it back.
I don't like dealing with people who can't take the time to communicate.
I really don't need his snake that bad, he contacted me to do this trade.

You have bought from me, you know there was no lack of communication from me.

I'll trade with'ya , what'cha got and what'cha want?

romad119
07-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Jim,

PM sent, I think I received a snake from the same person as your example. I hate it when people don't follow the Lacey Act so the shipping agency can't realize that letting the box get juggled and tossed around isn't a good thing to do.

It makes a big difference in handling when they know there is a living creature inside.

AncientDNA
07-16-2007, 10:19 AM
I've never had an issue with other people's packaging methods(yet), but my main pet peeve is people still shipping snakes via UPS.
I haven't checked out the cost lately, but is it that big a deal to get certified w/FedEx? Even if you don't ship much you still get a discount for having an account.

Clay Davenport
07-16-2007, 11:27 AM
It makes a big difference in handling when they know there is a living creature inside.
I hate to say it, but you're fooling yourself if you believe this to be true. The delivery driver might notice and be more careful, but at the hubs where the packages are re-routed it's balls to the wall and boxes tossed from one person to the next. Labels are looked at only long enough to determine the destination. That's why packaging is of the utmost in importance.

shrap
07-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Clay is absolutely correct. I worked for UPS first as a loader/unloader/sorter then worked my way up to a supervisor. We moved between 300,000-400,000 pieces through our building every 4-5 hour shift. That is literally unloading the packages from semis and delivery trucks, scanning and sorting them to loading them back into different semis and delivery trucks.

The only labels that get looked at is the bar code so it gets scanned, Next Day Labels so they get separated to the "airport trailer", "Toxic" and "Flammable" which are always accompanied with MSDS paperwork. The last two only because they must be put in the trailer last right by the door. They are not allowed to by buried in the truck.

Fragile, This End Up, Live Animals..... they dont even get a first glance.

Chance
07-16-2007, 09:51 PM
My only problem with Fed-Ex, and the only reason I've been using UPS to now, is that there isn't a hub closer than 45 min from my house, which is another 45 min (the other way) from the school at which I work. Being a teacher, it would be rather difficult to get a package there on time, and besides, it'd only be another 30 min farther to take it to the airport and ship it Delta. But then again, lots of folks don't want their herps shipped Delta because of the whole trip-to-the-airport thing. I'm planning to talk with my principal and see if he wouldn't mind me having Fed-Ex pick up shipments from the school. It's a small school, so I don't think he'll have a problem with it. I'm sure that's a rare situation though.

My point is, before I loose track of myself, that some people can't use Fed-Ex for one reason or another. I'm sure you could schedule a pickup at your house, but then you have to hope the driver will be on time and/or you won't be out of earshot of the door for whatever reason (could be taking a shower, having a bm, etc.). Logistically, it just isn't possible for some people. So what are they to do. Just not ship snakes, or violate UPS's inane rule prohibiting snakes but not other harmless reptiles and label their boxes [vaguely] as "Live Harmless Reptiles"?

TripleMoonsExotic
07-16-2007, 10:35 PM
My absolute worst shipment was an uninsulated Pampers box in the dead of winter. :eek: