PDA

View Full Version : Guinness World Records exploiting a snake on tv

omni
02-12-2008, 10:24 AM
:angry: It was about 6wks to 2 mos ago, I saw an episode of Guinness Book of World Records that had a segment on a world record attempt for number of balloons a snake could pop with it's fangs.
They showed this poor stressed snake (cobra, I think) teased by the handler getting it to strike at balloons to see how many could be popped in a short time.
The snake hissed a few times, was trying to slither away, and they made it pop almost 20. It wasn't a 'fixed' snake either, fully fanged and venomous I think they said.
All I could do was watch the bit and say, "Aw what the hell? That poor thing!", "How could they have something like this on the air?"

I saw this "record" as a horrible cruel thing to do to an animal for entertainment, and was shocked that a firm that has standards as to what qualifies as a human or animal record and how they are made, to condone the exploitation of an animal, not even in performance of it's natural behaviors.

I didn't catch who the owner/handler was. Did anyone see show this on tv? Is it possible some of you also would like to send letters to them voicing our outrage at this cruelty?

After that show, I'm sure some boneheads had to try that for themselves or maybe other more cruel stunts with a snake to see if they could make a "world record".

omni
02-13-2008, 08:16 AM
DOH! guess I should've posted an address:

Guinness World Records Limited
Maple House
149 Tottenham Court Road
London W1T 7NF
United Kingdom