PDA

View Full Version : Financial Responsibility?

Dogboa
02-29-2008, 12:40 PM
After reading the "Glades Herp" thread I started smoldering inside a bit. I was wondering how that snake ended up in a 13 year olds hands? My opinion has always been that someone that isn't "financially responsible" shouldn't have animals.

None of the snakes (cbb emeralds) that I sell are less than $300.00. As you can imagine, most of the folks looking to buy generally aren't going to spend upwards of that and turn around and kill it by not providing proper care, including vet care. I have never dealt with less expensive snakes (selling them), but it appears that a lot of folks treat them as disposable pets and really don't care one way or the other should it live or die. I'm sure that often times a parent is buying for their kid and will not see a reptile the same as the family dog or cat when it comes to spending money for vet care. On the other hand I see people that can't afford to support themselves buying reptiles.

I've often wondered if venders (at shows or elsewhere) even consider whether the person buying has the ability to care for their purchase. I'm curious as to everyones thoughts?

Craig

Cat_72
02-29-2008, 01:11 PM
I would not have sold the snake to someone of that age, without an agreeable and cooperative parent present, end of story.

SPJ
02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Her mother gives permission for her to get these snakes.
I spoke with her mother before I sent her the free BP.
I blame her mother for a lot of this crap.

The BoidSmith
02-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I've often wondered if venders (at shows or elsewhere) even consider whether the person buying has the ability to care for their purchase. I'm curious as to everyones thoughts?

Craig

Very short answer: No. I've seen at shows and seen dozens of kids walking on their own with their prized reptiles at hand, no adult supervision to be seen around. I've seen with my own eyes when a minor is choosing a snake from a bin and paying from it.

Wilomn
02-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Very short answer: No. I've seen at shows and seen dozens of kids walking on their own with their prized reptiles at hand, no adult supervision to be seen around. I've seen with my own eyes when a minor is choosing a snake from a bin and paying from it.
I've turned down kids on their own and seen other vendors do the same.

However, and it's blunt but that's life, once I decide to sell a snake, after I've decided there is a good chance that the person I'm selling to CAN provide the proper care, it's out of my hands.

I've turned down sales to people who could have provided the proper care that I didn't think WOULD provide the proper care, but that's as good as it gets.

Also about this 13 year old paulina, is she really 13? Was that really her mother you talked to Steve? She's not typically 13 if she is indeed that age.

I always suspected she was older and in posession of more than one personality.

The BoidSmith
02-29-2008, 02:54 PM
I've turned down kids on their own and seen other vendors do the same.

However, and it's blunt but that's life, once I decide to sell a snake, after I've decided there is a good chance that the person I'm selling to CAN provide the proper care, it's out of my hands.

I've turned down sales to people who could have provided the proper care that I didn't think WOULD provide the proper care, but that's as good as it gets.

Also about this 13 year old paulina, is she really 13? Was that really her mother you talked to Steve? She's not typically 13 if she is indeed that age.

I always suspected she was older and in posession of more than one personality.

Wes,

There are exceptions to the rule obviously. But at the two shows I frequent every now and then (Daytona and Tinley) I've seen several kids paying for snakes and walking away with them. I remember one picking up a baby ball python and stating to his friend (a 4 footer) that by its looks it was more than likely an "hetero for pastel" (SIC).

Wilomn
02-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Wes,

There are exceptions to the rule obviously. But at the two shows I frequent every now and then (Daytona and Tinley) I've seen several kids paying for snakes and walking away with them. I remember one picking up a baby ball python and stating to his friend (a 4 footer) that by its looks it was more than likely an "hetero for pastel" (SIC).
Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I just wanted to assure the OP that the other side of the coin is represented as well.

I'm sure we've all seen kids making purchases and just shaking out heads at it.

SPJ
02-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Was that really her mother you talked to Steve?
That I cannot answer. I can tell you the women I spoke with said she was her mother and sounded like an adult.

E2MacPets
02-29-2008, 03:19 PM
When I had my business, part of my philosophy was to only sell "kid/household friendly" animals to the general public. Things like this were my rationale...

The BoidSmith
02-29-2008, 04:00 PM
When I had my business, part of my philosophy was to only sell "kid/household friendly" animals to the general public. Things like this were my rationale...

Ask SPJ (Steve) then he has a very "friendly" ball python (I think an argentine ball; Ball constrictor occidentalis) in another thread that he may want to part with (before he gets nailed!) :rofl:

SPJ
02-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Here are 2 friendly snakes.

My 1.1 pair of pastel BP's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/SPJ01/reptiles/008-1.jpg

and the total sweatheart female.............yeah right.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/SPJ01/reptiles/b007.jpg

hhmoore
02-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I remember one picking up a baby ball python and stating to his friend (a 4 footer) that by its looks it was more than likely an "hetero for pastel" (SIC).
What does the height of his friend have to do with a baby ball being "hetero for pastel"? :shrug01: :ack2:
And was this 4 ft friend taller, or shorter, than the one holding the baby BP?

hhmoore
02-29-2008, 05:20 PM
and the total sweatheart female.............yeah right.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/SPJ01/reptiles/b007.jpg
I think she just doesn't like YOU...
besides, a bit of attitude in a snake that isn't big enough to back it up is kinda cute

E2MacPets
02-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Only you, Steve...

The BoidSmith
02-29-2008, 06:27 PM
What does the height of his friend have to do with a baby ball being "hetero for pastel"? :shrug01: :ack2:
And was this 4 ft friend taller, or shorter, than the one holding the baby BP?

Well his friend (I would say 10-12 years old) was also purchasing snakes. Between both they had a stack of around 6 transparent delis with animals.

Regards.

hhmoore
02-29-2008, 06:31 PM
I just like that you referred to the friend as a 4 footer, lol

SPJ
02-29-2008, 06:33 PM
I think she just doesn't like YOU...
She has made that painfully obvious a few times now. :angry:

northstarboasandmore
02-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I personaly have only sold snakes to adults. I have sold a pair of Leopard geckos to a girl around the age of 14 or so but her mom was right there and I talked to her also to make sure it was fine that she bought them.