PDA

View Full Version : looking for opinions...

dumje
05-04-2008, 05:09 PM
...not sure if it belongs here...but here it goes with my name being the only one mentioned...2 tortoise are sold as LTC...never treated...

1.) would anybody consider it out of the ordinary for it to arrive with parasites?

more questions to come on this.

Mooing Tricycle
05-04-2008, 05:16 PM
if they were never treated, and were long term captives, then yes, its very probable that they came with parasites that just never became an issue.

But i think this deserves to be in the tortise section, rather than the BOI...

Ken Harbart
05-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Thread moved to GBD.

hhmoore
05-04-2008, 07:12 PM
...2 tortoise are sold as LTC...never treated...

1.) would anybody consider it out of the ordinary for it to arrive with parasites?
Somebody probably would :shrug01: ...but I don't.

John E Dove
05-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I would expect to have to take them straight to a vet for a full exam when I got them.

1. To me most peoples LTC is the same as WC. Many people count their time in captivity from the day they are shoved in a box in their native country.

2. Since they were WC at the start, regardless of their time in captivity, the odds are very good they will come with a parasite load if they have not been treated.

3. I never trust an importer's claim of treatment for anything. I've run into too many cases where they simply lied about it or did not do a proper treatment regimen to insure the eggs of the parasites had time to hatch and be killed.

KJUN
05-05-2008, 06:54 AM
...not sure if it belongs here...but here it goes with my name being the only one mentioned...2 tortoise are sold as LTC...never treated...

more questions to come on this.

I would be surprised if they did NOT arrive with a low level of parasites.
KJ

dumje
05-05-2008, 03:39 PM
so...yes to the parasites...now if a person was to ship a couple of Tortoises like this and 1 died in shipment...for no good reason other than the fact that it had parasites and died most likely due to the stress combined with the parasites...

In my opinion...you would expect a refund

or

a replacment

or

to ship the other tortoise back...coprrect?

John E Dove
05-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Depends on the shipper guarantee.
Post their TOS here and I'd be able to judge what I would think but if they do not guarantee live arrival or put a conditional on it you could be left swinging in the wind, even though I think we should all stand behind the product we sell.

dumje
05-05-2008, 04:13 PM
the guarantee was live arrival on 2 ltc never treated animals.

John E Dove
05-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Post the TOS. Somehow I cannot see that as being all that is said in their TOS.
If indeed that is all their TOS says then yes they should replace the dead animal or refund your money but I'll bet that is also covered in their TOS.

hhmoore
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
A DOA is a DOA - if live arrival is guaranteed, you are due a refund or replacement. Without a necropsy, you can't positively say why an animal is dead...though sometimes you can make an educated guess. (The point being, you can't really just pin it on parasites unless there is more you aren't telling us)
How long term were these LTCs?

hhmoore
05-05-2008, 06:31 PM
I knew this had a very familiar ring to it http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110897

John E Dove
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
the guarantee was live arrival on 2 ltc never treated animals.
OK now that I have read the other thread I understand a little more and yes if you guarantee live arrival with no conditions you owe something. Either a replacement animal or the price of the DOA.
IMO the good business approach would be to replace the animal and pay to ship it or refund the money and half the shipping.

dumje
05-05-2008, 08:46 PM
yes...i was approaching this with 2 different posts...the money has been refunded...a replacement was offered but refused. Now I am being asked to foot the bill for the return shipment...I think that is wrong. As amatter of fact a replacement was found which would have cost quit a bit to me...but to keep the customer happy I was going to pay it and have it shipped to him. Instead he hit me with wanting to return it. I said ok thats fine...then he is now threatening me to goto the BOI and charge me with fraud on kingsnake...I decide to be premptive and come to fauna to see if i was crazy with this or would others agree with him. I believe there are more that favor my idea than his. I will not name a name on this until he actually posts on the BOI. He has been made aware of the fact that i came here to this site.

Terms of service was guaranteed live arrival. LTC never treated animals.

LTC for 1.5 years. These where relativly healthy and i believed them to be good for shipping. In fact in less than 1 week the other animal has gone from miami to california and back and is still doing great.

dumje
05-05-2008, 08:48 PM
John...I also want to add in response...I refunded all of the intial shipping costs as well. He wants me to pay the full shipping to and from.

John E Dove
05-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Well, if we are hearing everything, you did offer a replacement totally on your dime.
Was a necropsy done on the animal and did you demand he send the DOA back for a replacement?

John E Dove
05-05-2008, 10:27 PM
And it hits the fan.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=594234#post594234

hhmoore
05-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Well, now that there is an active BOI thread on this transaction, I think it would be appropriate to take any further discussion there.