PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Alternatives

Southern Wolf
09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
I know there has been alot of discussion on here about PayPal.... have any of you'll found any alternatives?

The internet company I used to work for used authorize.net but it looks like they have a monthly fee.

Is there any others out there than only charge a transaction fee like paypal?

thanks for you input.

LakesideBoas
09-21-2008, 10:01 PM
I've heard of Google check-out, but haven't a clue where to find info on it or if it's even available any more. Try searching the web for it (and maybe others will pop up).

I've had my Paypal account so long it's just habit for me to use it. Sorry if i'm not much help.

TripleMoonsExotic
09-21-2008, 10:05 PM
The only other one I am aware of is GoogleCheckout (https://checkout.google.com/sell/?gsessionid=rFGA4qu26lA)...But there are some stipulations and differences.

Fees: 2% + $0.20 per transaction

One of the things is you have to invoice each transaction unless you use their BIN buttons or have a shopping cart setup on a web site. Then when a credit card payment is sent you actually have to go in and charge it yourself, it's not automatic. Google also automatically deposits payments into your checking account.

hhmoore
09-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Google Checkout also specifically states that it cannot be used for live animals.

Mooing Tricycle
09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Google Checkout also specifically states that it cannot be used for live animals.

yeah, i was going to say... that was an issue brought up in a similar thread awhile back.

There really isnt another service out there, that i would trust personally. Paypal has its drawbacks, but ive been using it for quite some time *knock on wood* without much issue.

TripleMoonsExotic
09-21-2008, 10:14 PM

See, now I heard that, but I can't find that in the prohibited items section. :shrug01:

The only mention of animals I found in the Policies & Guidelines (http://checkout.google.com/support/sell/bin/answer.py?answer=75724) says: "Animals, animal parts, blood, or fluids and noxious weeds, prohibited seeds, plants or other organisms (including product derivatives) in danger of extinction or whose trade is otherwise regulated by law."

Which I took as you can't use GoogleCheckout to deal with animals that are endangered or otherwise regulated. For what it's worth, I've had my account since it started and I've never been "yelled at" for the live animal thing. :shrug01: I'll shoot them over an e-mail and see what they say, cause doing a search came up with nothing else.

LakesideBoas
09-21-2008, 10:25 PM
I knew you guys would come to the rescue! I was doing three things at once and didn't have time for a search.

I should knock on wood, but Paypal's been very good to me.

hhmoore
09-22-2008, 01:30 AM
I'll try to track down where I saw it, Steph.
Also, wasn't it Heather whose Google Checkout account closed because she was using it for snake sales?

BryonsBoas
09-22-2008, 01:36 AM
Yes it was. I don't remember what set it off but they cancelled her account most ricky tick.

hhmoore
09-22-2008, 01:42 AM
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=579806&postcount=20
http://checkout.google.com/support/s...n&answer=75724

Unacceptable product categories:

Animals and regulated species Animals, animal parts, blood, or fluids and noxious weeds, prohibited seeds, or plants or other organisms (including product derivatives) in danger of extinction or whose trade is otherwise regulated by law

Yeah.... BOOOOO

I was not aware of this until I got booted... They should have mentioned it beforehand.

WebSlave
09-22-2008, 01:49 AM
Unacceptable product categories:

Animals and regulated species Animals, animal parts, blood, or fluids and noxious weeds, prohibited seeds, or plants or other organisms (including product derivatives) in danger of extinction or whose trade is otherwise regulated by law

It sounds to me that this can be interepreted several ways, depending on who is doing the interpreting. It COULD mean ALL animals, or only animals "in danger of extinction or whose trade is otherwise regulated by law".

Also, it depends on how many sites have program code set up to accept thie method of payment before many people will jump on the bandwagon.

This is the latest version of vBulletin that I am running on this site and the paid subscriptions manager does NOT utilize Google. Neither do any of the other payment options on other sites I run. So that right there would kill it as being a viable option for me.

LadyOhh
09-22-2008, 02:14 AM
It was me, and I think the reason that I got booted was that I had a cart attached to my website.

They traced it back, and BAM

TripleMoonsExotic
09-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks for finding that, Harald. I have an e-mail put into them to get a yes or no answer. I'm hoping that maybe it was a mistake on GC's part, booting Heather and all.

It sounds to me that this can be interepreted several ways, depending on who is doing the interpreting. It COULD mean ALL animals, or only animals "in danger of extinction or whose trade is otherwise regulated by law".

Exactly. That's why I've asked them about it. Very, very few of the payments I receive through that account are for live animals, so I highly doubt I'm at risk for losing my account, but I want to make sure I don't loose my account at all. :)

Also, it depends on how many sites have program code set up to accept thie method of payment before many people will jump on the bandwagon.

This is the latest version of vBulletin that I am running on this site and the paid subscriptions manager does NOT utilize Google. Neither do any of the other payment options on other sites I run. So that right there would kill it as being a viable option for me.

GC's been out for I think 2 years now. Evidently Google wants it used ONLY as a shopping cart, not an anything payment gateway like PayPal.

This is the list of carts that are Google integrated:

3dCart
AbleCommerce
AFCommerce
AspDotNetStorefront.com
Captures
Cart32
CartManager
ChannelAdvisor
CoreCommerce
CS-Cart
DesignCart
digiSHOP
Easy Store Creator
eCartsoft
Ecommerce Templates
eCRATER
E-junkie
FatFreeCart
FORTUNE3
GoECart
iBuilder
Infopia
Kyozou
LiteCommerce
Make-a-Store
MarketWorks
Mercantec
Miva
MonsterCommerce
PayLoadz
ProductCart
Shopify
ShopSite
SmartCart.com
SpotMerchant
SunShop
UberCart
Vendio
Volusion
X-Cart
Zoovy

If you don't have one of these carts, you have to screw with the GC API function, use the BIN buttons or invoice each individual customer.

hhmoore
09-22-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm sure I was in contact with somebody at Google Checkout, back when I was looking into it - because, as mentioned, the wording of the TOS was not crystal clear. It is that verification that I am trying to find, but have not managed to locate (I probably stuck it in a folder with some other information :shootfoot )

TripleMoonsExotic
09-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Got an answer...

Thanks for your question. To clarify, the sale of any type of animal
(including reptiles) is prohibited by the Checkout policies and
guidelines.

Moving forward, please only use Google Checkout for design payments
and not for the sale for reptiles.

Thanks,

Steve
The Google Checkout Guide

Shame...I think that's a poor decision on their part...They're excluding entire industries (and I told them that).

bigjim212002
09-23-2008, 01:57 AM
i have used two others for a game i had ran for sometime but it has been awhile i dont know about how things work on there as far as selling animals but i dont recall a monthly fee just a transaction fee

moneybookers.com

and

http://www.e-gold.com/

check them out if you want to but like i said it has been a long time and i have only used them for a online rpg

Southern Wolf
09-24-2008, 12:39 AM
thanks for the answers thus far. I was hoping someone would know of a reputable outfit like authorize.net

All they are is a payment gateway. Maybe I will contact my old boss and see if he looking into anyone else. At this time my business cant support a monthly fee. The transaction fee I can handle.... but some months I may not make a sale.

From what I have read here... my goal is to get away from PayPal