PDA

View Full Version : Herp software

Southern Wolf
10-09-2008, 09:44 PM
has anyone used this software? It looks like you will be able to track everything and also has options for bulk data input with just a few clicks.

http://www.eyehit.com/degei/product.htm

What are your thoughts?

shrap
10-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Been using it for years. Love it.

Southern Wolf
10-09-2008, 09:50 PM
thanks Sammy....how do you go about working the data input into your overall workflow?

I want to get more organized... but not necessarly sure how.

shrap
10-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Keep in mind that there is nothing that herp software can do that cage cards cant. It is just basically a different format. And it is all in one centralized location (your PC) instead of written out on 50 plus individual cards. Having it all in one location helps you study the data easier.

I keep a notebook in the herp room that I right down everything I want to track. Like feedings, refused feedings, defecation, sheds, copulations, ovulations, eggs layed, etc, etc. A couple times a week I will sit at the PC and enter all of the data into Degei.

Where this comes in handy is I can easily track the trends of each animal. Example: Lets say Male X has not eaten since November and it is now February. I can quickly and easily go back over the years and see that he does this every year during this time period. One real example: My oldest het pied girl, she will quit eating each year like clock work exactly ten weeks before she lays. That is a trend I probably never would have noticed without Degei.

You can also see which snake prefers what type of food at a glance. Which really helps when pulling rodents on feeding day. At a glance I can tell what type of rodent, what size of rodent and how many of each type and size of rodent I am going to need to pull.

Like I said, the software really does not do anything (there are a few exceptions) that cage cards cant. It just makes it MUCH easier to analyze the data since it is all in one place. How you use it to benefit you will vary from one person to the next. The possibilities are really endless.

Southern Wolf
10-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks... anyone else?

And my current snake count is closer to 90 :thumbsup:

I just need to find a good way to keep up with things.

Shadera
10-10-2008, 12:46 AM
I only have a few dozen snakes so far to keep track of, but I got the Degei just because I know I'd be horrible about keeping up with tub cards. I'd lose them, they'd get wet, etc. I love the way you can organize things with just a few clicks, and upkeep is pretty simple. I keep a notepad downstairs in the snake room, and jot down what I do where. When I come back upstairs, all it takes is a few minutes to type all that info into the program. When you sell or buy animals, if the other person is using the software, files can be sent back and forth with an animals info. I love it, totally worth the money for me.

Have you tried the free version of it?

Southern Wolf
10-10-2008, 01:09 AM
not yet... I just found it tonight

norsmis
10-10-2008, 06:12 AM
I have been using it for about 4 years now and I love it also. I do the same as Sammy. The spiral notebook is also a good backup in case something happens to the puter. Great customer support also!

bwaffa
01-13-2009, 12:44 AM
I haven't used that software, but I'd check out iHerp before pulling the trigger on a software purchase. It's incredible and free! iHerp pro is scheduled to launch soon too, which will add even more sophisticated options than what's already available.

http://www.iherp.com

MicroZooKits
04-07-2009, 11:12 PM
check this out as well.... 100% Free

http://www.metzcal.com/

Brett Boller
04-09-2009, 03:45 AM
I have been using Degei for years and I love it. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Its a must have for a big collection. Much better then cards don't waist anymore of your time the full version is much better then the trial. Its like $20 or something and well worth it.

UB1970
04-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I have seen the free download (which I use) and the Pro version $1050. (can't justify) Where is this $20 version? Maybe I am just missing something.

Mike

Brett Boller
04-11-2009, 08:47 PM
http://www.eyehit.com/degei/download.htm put in your info and then download the trial. Once you have it downloaded you can buy the full version. The version I use is Degei 4 I think it may have been between $20-$30 cant remember. He moved some stuff around but its still there. The pro version sounds like its worth the extra change though.

xanaxez
04-11-2009, 09:08 PM
i use it and i would have to say as far as software wise, this is by far the best around for keeping track of your reptiles. i use it along with iherp.com

xanaxez
04-11-2009, 09:09 PM
http://www.eyehit.com/degei/download.htm put in your info and then download the trial. Once you have it downloaded you can buy the full version. The version I use is Degei 4 I think it may have been between $20-$30 cant remember. He moved some stuff around but its still there. The pro version sounds like its worth the extra change though.

i downloaded the full version of degei4 free. the only charge was for the pro version. not long ago he was offering the full version free.

Brett Boller
04-11-2009, 09:49 PM
That's an awesome deal :rofl:. I still think its worth an arm and a leg. Its well worth the money I spent on it.

mudmantim
05-18-2009, 06:16 PM
What ever happened to the Hungry Herps software?

-Tim

leviV
01-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I downloaded the Metzcal data software on my Mac, and I'm unable to open it. When I attempt to it reads "there is no default application specified to open the document." Can anyone tell me what to do? I'm not to computer savvy. Is it compatible with Macs? Also, where can I get cards to keep track of feeding, something like the ones Ralph Davis uses?

Thanks,
Levi V

TripleMoonsExotic
01-12-2010, 09:33 AM
None of the "herp software" is compatible with Macs. My gripe for years. ;)

WingedWolf
01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
I'll add that Degei has phenomenal support. If you have a problem, he'll fix it. My main issue with iHerp is that it IS online. So your data isn't on your machine, and relies on an internet connection. Plus, any internet site can close down suddenly, and then your data would be gone. That having been said, I love its lineage database.

mechnut450
01-29-2010, 05:00 PM
was playing with the trial version i think it will be a good investment. But I wonder on how hard it is set the program up on mutli computers?? I will have a laptop/netbook later in the reptile room and keepingthe info on it will be a great help but I also prefer the option of having it on the desktop as well ( transfer files back and forth on a thumb drive so I have the file on a safe placein case of a hardware crash.) So I was wondering on hot the program is registered/unlocked ( with akeycode or somthing.) cause I happend to rashed my system and lost the program ( trail version) was due to my niece and a virus, ner looking for mp3 or something and it ate the boot log and window registery. So I am now worried if i lose the orginal info and I don't have a restoreable image that works how hard it is to replacce it. I Still learning widows & and I got an external image made of the hd to a point but been unable ot restore it ot the computer.. It was a breeze with vista Ult just pop in the OS disk and have the external harddrive hooked up.

mechnut450
01-30-2010, 08:49 AM
just figure out the dephi program you download the trail and get the patch it gives you the standard edition so more less it free lol.. I not sure if there any other option needed cause the software pretty simple and so fart works great with windows 7 pro

TailsWithScales
01-30-2010, 04:56 PM
It looks like amazing software but I've been using iHerp for a while and it's really good and free!

http://www.iherp.com/Welcome.aspx

BUT ..............................

One thing I noticed about Degei is that it's doesn't appear to be compatible with Windows 7 (which I use and adore) or all that compatible with 64 bit. Which I also have.

So I don't think I will even be able to try it out! :(

mechnut450
01-30-2010, 05:45 PM
dang I must be a wierd and lucky case lol I run wndows 7 pro 64 bit version and it does fine for me outside the backup option which I not ssure with propuse is yet. I just started to fill out the info to get the basic records done and all once i get some free time this week coming I will play with it more.

now psecs wise minght be my saving grace lol quad core 810 ( amd phemon II cpu) 8 gig ram 1 tb harddrive geforce 275 oc grahpic card and windows 7 pro edition 64 bit . not problem with it heck my printer works with windows 7 but not vista lol so go figure I did just let it do the standard install when it said I need to reboot it I did then I got the patch part and bingo no problems.

TailsWithScales
01-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Then maybe I'll download it and give it a shot.

I'm certainly not under powered. :rofl: It just wasn't post on the site that it's Win 7 compatible so I was suspecting it wasn't. I will download it and give it a shot.

Andrews Arboreals
02-15-2010, 09:32 PM
i tried degei and had nothing but endless problems and constant errors, that said, i just gave metzcal a shot. i absolutely love it, its pretty simple and easy to use. way more organized than degei at that

Twizted Paths
02-15-2010, 10:55 PM
The only error I get that isn't user generated is when I try to change the default pictures for the animals. It won't display a pic taken on say 2.10.10 before one taken on 12.02.09

When I lost chunks of the database it was because my whole os tried to tank on me, not because degei itself messed up.