PDA

View Full Version : Rude buyers

mxracer4life
01-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Hey guys. I just wanted to talk a little about something that has been driving me crazy. How many people here deal with rude buyers? I am talking about the person that email/call about a particular item, shows interest, talks about a time or place of meeting, or shipping, then you never hear back from them. I have spent more than a normal amount of time sending emails, pictures, making phone calls and I just thinks it's rude for them to never return a call &/or email. If I am dealing with someone and I decide to back out of, it have the kahuna's to atleast let them now and apologize for taking there time. I deal with this a lot with herps, but have also experienced it with selling cars etc. Are people just getting more and more rude? Am I whining about something that isn't a big deal? I was just interested in finding out everyone else's take on this.

Jeremy

Tuxus
01-08-2009, 04:53 PM
It is common in every industry and is part of doing business, yes it is unfortunate but it comes with the territory. I usually make a call and an email or 2, if no response is made then I assume they are no longer interested. To me it isn't a big deal as I always set aside time to contact customers anyway both current and former and just see it as something I will have to deal with. I have also been on the other end of it where sellers don't return emails or calls, it just makes me go elsewhere just as buyers not returning contact makes me not sell to them in the future. Not every potential customer is worth the effort.

shrap
01-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Unfortunately Jeremy it is something we all deal with. In time you will learn to not let it bother you as much and you will also learn to recognize such people very early in the communication process. Just remember, it is never a done deal until money has exchanged hands.

Speaking of rude. I told a guy back on December 22nd that I was done doing business for the year and that I would resume sales after the Holidays..... I get a phone call at 8:20 AM the morning after Christmas and the first thing I hear is "Well its after the Holidays, I am ready to come to your house and look at your possible het pieds to see if I want one of them".

I didnt know what was more rude... calling that early the day after xmas when he knew I was not doing business until after New Years or inviting himself to my home the day after xmas or telling me if I dont let him come to my home to inspect the animals and see how I keep my snakes that he will take his $25 elsewhere. Needless to say he had no choice but to take his $25 elsewhere.

Wolfy-hound
01-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Technically that's a rude potential buyer, since you never exchanged goods/moneys.
People are just that way. Some probably mean well, but things come up, or go wrong. Some might even have sent a explanation email or call that went awry.
But yeah, most are just self-centered, and don't think about the annoyance that they are causing. Eventually you just get used to the no-shows, cancellers, and lookie-loos.
Keep yer chin up.

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
01-08-2009, 06:19 PM
I had one a few months ago write and ask me a couple dozen questions about BPs, hets, and in particular the male het pied I had for sale at the time. After I answered all his question patiently he wrote and informed me he had purchased a male het pied from someone else and wanted to know if I would send my ADULT female het pieds to him to breed with his newly purchased het pied male and we could split the clutches...............

I think I just responded "No thank you".......but thats sure NOT what I was thinking!

AbsoluteApril
01-08-2009, 06:53 PM
darn kids these days! ;)

It can be annoying... I just recently spent time taking new pics and sending details to someone that suddenly 'didn't have any money left' and it's not the first time it's happened. Having sold other stuff on CL or Ebay there are lookie-loos everywhere, it just seems that the reptile potential buyers tend to be a little more demanding as far as requesting lots of info or pics before backing out. Part of the territory I suppose.

HyderHouseHerps
01-08-2009, 11:19 PM
I get that even though I only sell goods. Usually if a customer isn't precise in their questions or what they are interested in...they aren't interested. i politely answer their Q's knowing I won't hear back from them. I am the same way when I am seriously buying/inquiring. I precisely say I am interested in blahblahblah and i have a few questions for you...
I don't really see the point in asking about a potential sale when you aren't sure you want to do that, have the money, or whatever... people are inconsiderate everywhere. Especially on the roads.

mxracer4life
01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Wow, that is a little rude Shrap. I don't let it get to me too much, I was just a little curious of how everyone else felt about the matter. The part that really gets me is when someone DOES back out, they never let you know, they just never email/call back. I have had people call about a car I have forsale, get me out of bed, drive all the way to town (20 minutes) and they never show up, never answer a call back or anything. But I do get over it. I don't sell enough herps to really see how all the people are on here, but from what I can tell, I have had about 11 people contact me about a BCI and set something up then I never here from them.

HyderHouseHerps
01-09-2009, 01:19 PM
It's also interesting that the more expensive the item is, the MORE non responsive potential buyers you get!! Not that the price matters, the commodity is what draws them in without thinking about the price tag.

I kinda feel like if a seller is actually communicating and trying to accomodate me I would rather buy from that person. Not saying you have to be pushy but when you reply to ads or leave messages, maybe you should throw the ball back in their court with something like "let me know what you think so we can accomodate you. or get back to me when you get a chance and let me know if we can work something out...
I always drop this at the end: Hope to hear from you soon, or
Talk to you soon,

crotalusadamanteus
01-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I just keep track of those ones, and if they come around later, I tell them I ain't interested in selling to them. You can't stop them from coming, but you can stop them from wasting a lot of your future time and effort.

Kaiyudsai
01-11-2009, 02:04 AM
I hate when people email me telling me my price is too high, or make rude comments about pricing. I mean, it's a sellers market. If you don't like the pricer buy from someone else

Darkice
03-09-2009, 03:48 PM
I get people all the time window-shopping. They ask for more pics. And I know ill never hear from them again. So I send them pics with GIANT Watermarks.

But I'm not perfect. I've been in the market for ball morphs and sent emails to a couple big named breeders. The first one who responds gets my money.
I'm impatient sometimes.

garweft
03-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm more surprised by people who say there interested...... and then send money!?!? :eek:

It's rare but it does happen. :rofl:

Uroboros
03-09-2009, 05:40 PM
But I'm not perfect. I've been in the market for ball morphs and sent emails to a couple big named breeders. The first one who responds gets my money.
I'm impatient sometimes.

By the time I get to the point of actually contacting someone for information about their snake, I've already made the purchase in my head. The only thing after that is looking for reasons I shouldn't get it.

crotalusadamanteus
03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm more surprised by people who say there interested...... and then send money!?!? :eek:

It's rare but it does happen. :rofl:

Twice this year I got paypal payment before I got an email even stating interest in the animal they paid for. Happened to me in '06 also.

Talk about strange, yer like, "payment for what?!!" Then 5 emails further down, you find the email explaining the payment, and a "when can you ship".

Too bad they ain't all that easy.

Slim
03-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I think some buyers who show interest but never go through with a deal figure that all breeders are too busy selling animals to wonder why they broke off contact, and that it won't be noticed. Telling some one that you have changed your mind, or that you are shopping elsewhere is hard for some people, especially those with little experience dealing with merchants or sellers. They don't understand how rude their behavior is.

I still see no excuse for calling up a breeder and telling them that their prices are too high...that one makes no sence to me.

sschind
03-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Like Rick said, It's part of every industry. If I had even 10% of the people who came in looking for an "entire aquarium setup" ever follow through with an actual purchase I'd be much better off. Some people are comparison shopping looking for the best deal and others are just window shopping with no intentions of buying. It's their form of entertainment. After they leave my store they go to the stereo store down the street and do the same thing with a home entertainment system. I learned very quickly not to expect anything from anyone promising to "come back when I get paid" After a while you kind of get the feel for which ones might be serious but you never really know so you treat them all the same hoping for the best. Its also much easier to expect nothing from any of them. That way when one of them does come back it is a pleasant surprise.

MerekC
03-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey guys. I just wanted to talk a little about something that has been driving me crazy. How many people here deal with rude buyers? I am talking about the person that email/call about a particular item, shows interest, talks about a time or place of meeting, or shipping, then you never hear back from them. I have spent more than a normal amount of time sending emails, pictures, making phone calls and I just thinks it's rude for them to never return a call &/or email. If I am dealing with someone and I decide to back out of, it have the kahuna's to atleast let them now and apologize for taking there time. I deal with this a lot with herps, but have also experienced it with selling cars etc. Are people just getting more and more rude? Am I whining about something that isn't a big deal? I was just interested in finding out everyone else's take on this.

Jeremy

Unfortunately, people now-a-days have no respect for others, it's due to the teachings that are laid for them. Because of this I usually take a deposit to ensure that they are serious and it forces them to have to respond or they lose their money. If you they respond within 30-60days they get it back, and I tell them as well as show them our disclaimer while doing this (This is a worse case scenario, as I am, unless at a show very careful who I deal with. Money can always be made at a show or through a forum where I know and talk to people often.) If it is a trade and I have to meet up with someone well I take the risk, but I usually make it a point to make it a week or so in advance so that I can assure myself that this is something I want to do and I can contact them. I DO NOT only contact by email, I get their number too, so that if they don't respond by the day before we meet. I don't budge from my house. We all, who have a business or otherwise, need to be careful of these people. Taking every precaution will help reduce stress on you and your animal who has to be lugged around as well. :) I deal with this frustration quite often.

MerekC
03-15-2009, 10:17 AM
I can say this one last thing. It is very frustrating to do all the work and someone doesn't have the respect to answer or call you back. But people will be people and we have to find ways around those who irritate us to the point of frustration. No easy way around this, but I am working on it. LOL :thumbsup:

Nirvana
03-17-2009, 05:48 PM
I breed and sell small mammals (chinchillas and hedgehogs) and while I haven't had much success at breeding my snakes, I have enough of an "active" collection that I usually have a snake or two up for sale as well.

I find that if someone contacts me about a chinchilla, a very good portion of the time (possibly somewhere around 70%) he or she (usually she) is serious about buying, and will follow through with a sale. I do require a deposit to hold chinchillas and this is clearly stated on my website, and I suspect that this helps quite a bit. I don't think that's all of it, though.

Oddly enough, with hedgehog inquiries I find that the "seriousness" of the buyers drops down quite a bit -- more like 40-50% "seriousness" rating. I also get a frustrating number of people inquiring if I ship the hedgehogs (despite having "NO SHIPPING" plastered all over my website), which has led to some other less than pleasant buyer-seller interactions in itself ...

With snakes, though, if I get an inquiry about a snake I'm usually about 90% sure that I'll never hear from the person again. I don't know why someone would inquire about something with a simple, "Do you still have this animal?" if they had no real intention of buying it, but that seems to be the norm in this industry ... So for snakes, I'd say maybe 10% or less (probably less) of all inquiries will lead to a sale in my experience. Just something I've gotten used to.

I've sold quite a few cars as well, and I'd put the "car seriousness" right around the "snake seriousness" -- usually about 90% of inquiries are bogus and go nowhere. The big difference, though, is in the volume -- with cars I typically get a heck of a lot more inquiries per ad, so even though most of those won't follow through, eventually, I can get the car sold. Snakes, it seems, just aren't moving as fast these days ... :(

charmer
03-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Seems normal now to have more folks contact you, and even ask you to hold an animal "payment is on it's way", than folks that are actually serious! It drives me up the wall, especially when I email them specifically to ask them to just let me know if they've changed their minds and don't hear back from them. I figure it will make me a better person somehow...
Hey Kitt! Your gals are looking good! #9 is about to have her second shed... hows the weather there? :)
Stephanie Siebert

sschind
03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
I can say this one last thing. It is very frustrating to do all the work and someone doesn't have the respect to answer or call you back. But people will be people and we have to find ways around those who irritate us to the point of frustration. No easy way around this, but I am working on it. LOL :thumbsup:

Like I said before, I have come to expect it. What I find even more frustrating is when people come in and say they want an entire setup, I spend the time to go through the whole thing, what size, what accessories etc. etc, give them a written quote and then they take the quote to the next store, ask for their best price, if its lower they take it (I have no problem with that) if its not they say "can you match this price" they store says sure and they make the sale after I did all the work. That's what irritates me.

When I go in for a quote on anything I say "I'm shopping around and you will have one chance to sell me this. Give me your absolute best price. If it's the lowest price I'll be back. If it's not, I won't be back" To be honest, if I find a better price I probably won't call them back and tell them. They had their chance and they didn't have what it took to get the deal done. Also, I don't call them back because 9 times out of 10 If I do and I tell them I found a better price they will say they can match it. That is what p****S me off more than anything. When I left your store you said you were giving me the best price you could, now you are telling me you lied to me. Sorry, you won't ever get any business from me ever.

mxracer4life
03-18-2009, 09:40 AM
It's nice to know there are other people out there that feel my pain. Unfortunately it is part of life, I think I have accepted this.

Nirvana
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Seems normal now to have more folks contact you, and even ask you to hold an animal "payment is on it's way", than folks that are actually serious! It drives me up the wall, especially when I email them specifically to ask them to just let me know if they've changed their minds and don't hear back from them. I figure it will make me a better person somehow...
Hey Kitt! Your gals are looking good! #9 is about to have her second shed... hows the weather there? :)
Stephanie Siebert

Thank goodness I haven't had that happen too often -- only once or twice have I had people ask to hold animals, or who started to really seemingly commit to a deal and then back out. (Actually Stephanie, two of your bloods here were "sold" to a guy quite for some time before he stopped contacting me and I put them back up for sale :angry: He was supposedly building me a rat rack for them, and kept sending me updates on it ... One day the updates just quit, and he quit responding to PMs. Guess he must've decided to keep it and not bother informing me. Ohhh well.)

Usually though, for me it's just inquiries that go nowhere ... Only a few wasted clicks and keystrokes I guess, but still sort of disheartening in a way.

charmer
03-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Thank goodness I haven't had that happen too often -- only once or twice have I had people ask to hold animals, or who started to really seemingly commit to a deal and then back out. (Actually Stephanie, two of your bloods here were "sold" to a guy quite for some time before he stopped contacting me and I put them back up for sale :angry: He was supposedly building me a rat rack for them, and kept sending me updates on it ... One day the updates just quit, and he quit responding to PMs. Guess he must've decided to keep it and not bother informing me. Ohhh well.)

Usually though, for me it's just inquiries that go nowhere ... Only a few wasted clicks and keystrokes I guess, but still sort of disheartening in a way.

That is really out there and I thought mine was irritating! The guy emailed me several times, asked for a quote, eventually said he was sending a MO as deposit in the mail, Priority, and that I'd get it on a Tuesday. I kept in touch and let him know it hadn't arrived Tuesday in case he was worried and that it was no big deal. He even responded to that, said I'd probably get it Wednesday. It never showed and from then on... I just never heard from him again, even after a couple emails from me. Yeah, I guess it is more likely than not these days in business, but this is a nice place to vent! :dgrin:

I can't imagine asking someone to hold an animal, going through the trouble of sending pictures of product or receiving them, repeatedly, and then just vanishing. I've always been up front in all my dealings, even if I felt horrible doing it, I'd at least let them know I changed my mind. Obviously, most folks aren't that forthcoming in their intentions.

Lucky for me that fellow backed out! I can't wait until weather is nicer where you are! I shipped out my first packages for the season last week and this week now that the weather here is decent enough to do so. So far so good! I am saving a special insulated box, that I got one of my recent additions in, for your boas when the time comes, since your temps are so much lower than mine.. better safe than sorry!

Here's to the folks that are honest in their dealings and courteous enough to notify sellers of their intentions- Cheers!! :thumbsup:

Stephanie Siebert

crotalusadamanteus
03-18-2009, 07:55 PM

Yes it is. I've been getting a few lately that think shipping should be free on a $75 animal. Well, actually the animal is worth double that, but when you need them to go.

But yer right, a few clicks, maybe a call or two...what can you do.

Invent a phone that allows you to reach through and throttle them. :thumbsup: I think a lot of us would be happy with one of them. LOL

Hoggyowner
03-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Not to be annoying, but I think that no seller should blame a buyer. I think it shows good service when you are nice to a buyer even if he is really rude. I recently had to talk to a seller telling him that he was annoying me and I didn't like it (was pretty nasty because it repeated myself a lot). I think you will find buyers who are mean and maybe a little weird but you can not get angry at them. I know this may totally be off-topic but this is sort of a annoying thread because a seller should never get angry. Buyers will be rude... there are customers who are nice and some who are plain nasty. It goes on in the business world and every other environment. I can see how you may get angry but you don't choose the buyer they choose you. The buyer can be plain nasty and you can could stop the deal or keeping going knowing the buyer is going to be a good caretaker and he will give you the money. I am not trying to be a pest but I just wanted to put that out there.

Hoggyowner
03-20-2009, 03:24 PM
I think this is a little different but that last post still stands. I think that is annoying when they back out and you can get annoyed but really it is up to the buyer. It is not like he scammed. If he will buy in the end thats all you should care about.

crotalusadamanteus
03-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Not to be annoying, but I think that no seller should blame a buyer. I think it shows good service when you are nice to a buyer even if he is really rude.

I guess we see things a bit differently. Buyer, seller, friend or enemy, you won't just disrespect me, or crap on me, or yell and cuss at me for no reason, and get away with it. My tail just ain't that good at tucking between my legs.

Don't get me wrong though, I agree somewhat, and I talk to all of them with respect, even when I know they are going to back out or lead nowhere at all. But get nasty with me for no reason, and you'll receive some of the same in return. An eye for an eye. :thumbsup:

charmer
03-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Not to be annoying, but I think that no seller should blame a buyer. I think it shows good service when you are nice to a buyer even if he is really rude. I recently had to talk to a seller telling him that he was annoying me and I didn't like it (was pretty nasty because it repeated myself a lot). I think you will find buyers who are mean and maybe a little weird but you can not get angry at them. I know this may totally be off-topic but this is sort of a annoying thread because a seller should never get angry. Buyers will be rude... there are customers who are nice and some who are plain nasty. It goes on in the business world and every other environment. I can see how you may get angry but you don't choose the buyer they choose you. The buyer can be plain nasty and you can could stop the deal or keeping going knowing the buyer is going to be a good caretaker and he will give you the money. I am not trying to be a pest but I just wanted to put that out there.

As a buyer and seller, as most of us are who are posting, we would all agree that in most respects that the customer does, as you also say, come first and has every right to back out... but is it so wrong to expect a little courtesy??
Although it will happen and is definitely something you'll experience in business, every business whether it be an average retail store or a reptile business, has a right to refuse service to a (potential) customer who is unable to present themselves as a halfway decent person in general or in our cases, a less-than capable animal owner (especially us in the live product business!) I offer every opportunity to a potential buyer, if they back out, no big deal. The folks that say they are a 'sure thing' and don't have the courtesy to send me four words "I'm not interested anymore" after I've given them everything they've asked for, irritating and sometimes worth venting about... but still, no big deal. I'd say the more a buyer yanks your chain and even asks you to hold an animal (that may have sold in the length of time you've been humoring them), when they have no intention of going through with the purchase from the get-go and are aware of it, the more dishonest and unworthy of your business they are. A seller has every right to be angry or disappointed, but that doesn't mean attacking or otherwise antagonistic reiteration. Therefore, this thread and the fact that it allows folks with negative experiences the opportunity to express how they feel, and POSSIBLY educate folks on how to be more thoughtful, honest and courteous when backing out of a deal, is much better than unleashing anger toward the customer who in some cases, may actually deserve it.
This is, of course, my opinion. I personally have never attacked a customer verbally for rudeness. I always send one or two polite reminders and, after I realize they are just too chicken to be honest with me about whatever reason they are backing out of the sale, I move on. This is not a single occurrence at all, look at how many folks were able to chime in. I'd say this thread has served its purpose even if it annoys a few who disagree. Better than posting an unnecessary bad guy thread on someone!
Stephanie Siebert

Andy'sReptiles
03-22-2009, 07:22 PM
show some respect! please..

I don't care if you're older than me, or younger than me.
If you have good english, or not.
Whether you're deserving or not.

Be considerate of my time, be reasonable, don't make unnecessary demands, and I will continue to do the same! :thumbsup:

charmer
03-22-2009, 07:35 PM
:iagree:

Stephanie Siebert

BryonsBoas
03-23-2009, 10:17 AM

I don't think so. As a seller, business owner or even a person managing a business for someone has to draw the line somewhere. Just because we are looking to make a few bucks off of a deal doesn't mean we get get to be personal punching bags or doormats with a smile on our faces.

Each will handle it differently but I don't need the deal or the money so bad I'll let a customer walk all over me. I have things to do, animals to care for etc etc. The time I get to answer questions about my animals may not always be anytime someone asks the questions. If a potential customer wants to get rude, they'll either find a polite e-mail or PM dropping the deal if no money has changed hands, a refund if it has or me telling them where they can stick their piss poor attitude.

A customer is always right until they are wrong.

ophidile
03-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Yeah, "the customer is always right" is actually an incredibly BAD motto that pretty much attracts abusive customers to take advantage. I was reading an interesting article about how companies that stand behind their employees when a customers is being just plain unreasonable do better as far as moral and productivity goes. I think it "makes sense" too.

That said, I guess I don't find it that "rude" if a customer drops contact without specifically saying they've decided not to buy - I realize it's annoying if you've put a lot of time into answering their questions, etc. But maybe they were "serious" they just decided what they saw wasn't exactly what they wanted? I think some folks just figure the seller automatically doesn't think of them as "buyers" until they've put down money, and sending a "thanks but no thanks" email is just wasting the seller's time even more. Or they've got multiple inquiries going on and forget - I'm guilty of this! XP But this thread is a good reminder that I should be mindful and let people know when I'm not interested.

In one case though, I think I was a little TOO mindful of not pestering a seller - I was looking at a "proven female breeder" corn, thought to ask for weight then thought "nah, I'm sure it's fine." Of course then I got a 250g 6-year-old female that looks way too thin to breed to me :/ I realize it's not the same since I was a "serious buyer" but if I had asked for weights - or even better photos, probably- I would have been put off, and then been just "another windowshopper" :shrug01:

Nirvana
03-23-2009, 12:07 PM
That said, I guess I don't find it that "rude" if a customer drops contact without specifically saying they've decided not to buy - I realize it's annoying if you've put a lot of time into answering their questions, etc. But maybe they were "serious" they just decided what they saw wasn't exactly what they wanted? I think some folks just figure the seller automatically doesn't think of them as "buyers" until they've put down money, and sending a "thanks but no thanks" email is just wasting the seller's time even more. Or they've got multiple inquiries going on and forget - I'm guilty of this! XP But this thread is a good reminder that I should be mindful and let people know when I'm not interested.

I totally agree. It isn't actually that I'm annoyed by answering questions, either -- that doesn't bother me a bit; I expect that any buyer is going to have some questions, and that my answers will affect whether or not they choose to buy. If someone asks me a question, and then I don't hear from them again, that doesn't really bother me as I assume the answer to my question was what caused them to choose not to go through with the purchase, and I take their lack of response as a "No thanks, not interested." I don't even really consider someone "interested" unless they have specifically mentioned making arrangements to get the animal!

I guess what baffles me, though -- not so much annoys as baffles -- is the number of inquiries I get (mainly about reptiles; not so much with the mammals) where the question is simply, "Is it still available?" or "Will you take $xx" -- with no followup. I mean, I can certainly understand asking questions about the animal itself simply to gather info before making a purchase, but to me, if I'm asking if it's available or making an offer, my next question will be "When can I pick it up?" if the response is yes ;) I guess I don't really see what the point was of asking the question in the first place ... :rolleyes_

BryonsBoas
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah, "the customer is always right" is actually an incredibly BAD motto that pretty much attracts abusive customers to take advantage. I was reading an interesting article about how companies that stand behind their employees when a customers is being just plain unreasonable do better as far as moral and productivity goes. I think it "makes sense" too.

Yup, thats why I said they are right until they are wrong. I've been on both sides as an employee with one boss backing and another boss not. The boss that didn't left a bad taste in my mouth. When i had the opportunity to be in a Management position, I backed all employees when they were right and stood beside them when they were wrong.

No one should be treated like a doormat just because someone thinks their checkbook makes it OK.

crotalusadamanteus
03-23-2009, 03:44 PM
No one should be treated like a doormat just because someone thinks their checkbook makes it OK.

Amen brother. :thumbsup:

draigen
03-28-2009, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE]I've been on both sides as an employee with one boss backing and another boss not. The boss that didn't left a bad taste in my mouth.QUOTE]

lol bry, that's exactly why i gave up my managment position! my boss expected me to do everything, but never backed me up when something blew up, or didnt go the way it was supposed to.

Steaphon
04-05-2009, 11:13 AM
No Jeremy, it is very rude of them to take up your time, tie up the animal that you could have homed or sold and then never return a call or email. We raise a variety of animals, mostly dogs. We do a lot of rescue, mainly dogs, some reptiles, birds, kittens and so on. I drove 63 miles one way. I was in full communication with the homer of a dog that was preggers and they just had to get rid of!!! and when I was within 3 min. of the home, they "texted" me and said of sorry, we just sold her for 80 bucks. I was to try to help them and offered 40 to get her and help out. No return from my calls asking for gas money and such was of course returned at all. People are greedy and rude. From now on, I make them meet me half way or I don't offer my services. I am so sorry that you went thru this, however, it's part of the game I guess. Don't give up, wonderful people are just around the corner, I am sure of it!

All the best and God Bless,

Steaphon

http://deweesekennels.com

Shadera
04-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Sometimes I just want to yank all my ads and say screw it. Dealing with people is definitely the tough part of the hobby.

crotalusadamanteus
04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Yep. I don't do people very well in general. That's why I never have a lot of ads out there. Word of mouth takes a bit longer to sell them, but the transactions are far more pleasant.

baysideboas
04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
I used to sell cable (TV) and shoes and plenty of other things. In most sales industries we always 'ran numbers'. In most cases we needed to attempt to contact 100 new people a day, so that we could talk to 20-25 interested people a day and then we could expect 4-5 of those people to buy. To produce quota's of 15-20 sales weekly. Just about every industry i've worked in has about the same rate. Give or take. If you expect that about 75% the people that contact you to just be lookers then you will be prepared. I think people think that we are just like target online and they don't realize the time they ask you to spend too.

Hoggyowner
04-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Alright guys I can see your points you deserve respect. I think I heard something about live products and stuff. I understand this is a different business than a product like caging or something where you don't get attached to a living thing. Bad example but you know what I am saying. This is a sort of silly forum because you are saying buyers are being nasty to you but I feel it isn't fruitful in the slightest to get all upset. You meet people in this business that you don't like. I can probably say something about everyone of the people I have dealt with as buyers. It is something to think about whether or not you could be making your customer upset. I got slightly upset with the last guy because he put limitation on how to reach him and that got me angry. He took a while to get back to me and lied like 3 times. I can complain about the geckos he gave me but I am annoyed at the way he found himself higher than me. My mom thought he wanted attention. If a buyer does get upset I think it is your job to ask why even if the buyer gets rude or why they are getting rude. It could be because the person is having a bad day. Think about it this way we are human we get upset. I really like to deal with breeders but sometimes they are weird and kind of rude. I don't bother to say anything. I don't really see the point you guys are trying to make there are people in the world who are plain rude and disrespectful. We can't change their way or their personality. I sort of understand where you guys are coming from but it is sort of silly. I know I am ruining this conversation and this thread but I feel very strongly about my position. It is common curtesy. I think this now is becoming a thread about the time that is taken from you and I can definitely see how that is annoying but then again think about what you should do maybe give a lower price? or if it is that they find nicer animals then you should step up your projects.

Hoggyowner
04-11-2009, 05:05 PM
As a buyer and seller, as most of us are who are posting, we would all agree that in most respects that the customer does, as you also say, come first and has every right to back out... but is it so wrong to expect a little courtesy??
Although it will happen and is definitely something you'll experience in business, every business whether it be an average retail store or a reptile business, has a right to refuse service to a (potential) customer who is unable to present themselves as a halfway decent person in general or in our cases, a less-than capable animal owner (especially us in the live product business!) I offer every opportunity to a potential buyer, if they back out, no big deal. The folks that say they are a 'sure thing' and don't have the courtesy to send me four words "I'm not interested anymore" after I've given them everything they've asked for, irritating and sometimes worth venting about... but still, no big deal. I'd say the more a buyer yanks your chain and even asks you to hold an animal (that may have sold in the length of time you've been humoring them), when they have no intention of going through with the purchase from the get-go and are aware of it, the more dishonest and unworthy of your business they are. A seller has every right to be angry or disappointed, but that doesn't mean attacking or otherwise antagonistic reiteration. Therefore, this thread and the fact that it allows folks with negative experiences the opportunity to express how they feel, and POSSIBLY educate folks on how to be more thoughtful, honest and courteous when backing out of a deal, is much better than unleashing anger toward the customer who in some cases, may actually deserve it.
This is, of course, my opinion. I personally have never attacked a customer verbally for rudeness. I always send one or two polite reminders and, after I realize they are just too chicken to be honest with me about whatever reason they are backing out of the sale, I move on. This is not a single occurrence at all, look at how many folks were able to chime in. I'd say this thread has served its purpose even if it annoys a few who disagree. Better than posting an unnecessary bad guy thread on someone!
Stephanie Siebert

Your point is a fair one. I can se why you get angry I totally understand but in the end you don't lose money it teaches you that you should deal with a customer who would also buy it and if there is a back out get him to buy it if it doesn't work out find another one. Is it really tha much time out of your day? I mean really is it good enough to know that you are not like that? You wouldn't do that. I think there is a few ways to prevent all this stuff from happening. Just have a back up guy. You can make him pay more if he really wants it. I had a guy do that to me and I felt a little annoyed but hey! business is business. You just have another guy waiting like for a few days to see if he will get it. If it is such a hot product I am sure you will have a good amount of people emailing you. I can argue these points all day and I don't think either of us will win. I understand you don't like rude buyers no one does but it seems like there are just a few of you who feel upset about it. This could be an extremely long thread if there was a seriously problem here I think only about eight people actually posted agreeing with you guys. Really guys it is their money you want if you want it that bad you should take the rudeness. Is it rudeness like; "you don't know what you are talking about" or other rudeness? I think there is a reason why you don't see sellers saying how bad person is usually. Nothing against you guys but this is silly as I said before. I think this really should be closed.

Hoggyowner
04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
This will be helpful for a lot of people I think but really you guys shouldn't be complaining, we should come up with ways to prevent these things from happening. Can't do anything without ideas. Business plans that are great have back up plans and ways out of things. Talk to my parents they are people who deal with people who want to buy either thier software in my dad's case or bonds in my mom's case. They told me how they feel about this and told me that what I said is very valid. They would never ever be rude back to a buyer or complain. To my brother and my dad/mom and I usually don't hear much about their deals I just know they have them and they deal with good guys and bad. I know this is a totally different field but the same basic principal (hope it is the right spelling). If you do want to keep complaining go right ahead if there is a complain after this post I am done posting but if you want to find solutions I will try to formulate some. I haven't dealt with that many people so far but I know about this stuff. Lets find solutions for your problems. I like the idea about not driving the whole way Jeremy. It is only fair if you both drive equal distances. I don't think the price to actually drive there is in the price of the animal. The other problem that seems to come up on here is how courtesy about dropping a deal and I think it is hard to get that. I mean you won't need to bother being upset if you have another person out there to buy it. It would get sold either way. Is there any kind of attachment to the seller? I mean I really want to know do you feel attached to one person and don't want to betray him? Is there a moral issue with finding a back up? It is good blackmail or leverage to get the person to buy. You can say, "I have another person who may want to buy, so are you going to buy?" or if they are being rude, "I have someone else who wants to buy it if you will keep treating me like this I will give it that person." I mean that is a bluff hopefully unless the person is harrassing you like crazy or being really offensive.

mxracer4life
05-21-2009, 12:43 AM
I do realize that in any type of "sales" there is going to be a high rate of people that are just lookers. That is not exactly what I was trying to say. I understand someone calling, acting interested, or emailing, send some pictures, talk price, then not here from them, it happens. What gets me is you have someone that has committed, they have set a meeting place, time etc, and don't show or call, let alone answer to a call back. I was selling a vehicle of mine, it was in the paper, I had someone call, we planned on meeting at my work, where the vehicle was, and I was going to let them look at and drive the vehicle then talk business. Well, I finished supper, called to let them know I was on my way, waited there forever, never came by, called, nothing. Same thing with some snake or animal sales ( and adoptions). I changed plans, stayed home, because numerous times I had people saying they were on their way to look at whatever it was they were interested in, then never show up, call or anything. Thats what I am trying to explain as a rude buyer. Get my drift? I can deal with some measley emails not being answered, I have accepted that, but make an appointment and for one, not show, but also to not have the decency to call and say, hey, I have changed my mind, or hey, I don't have the cash etc etc etc etc. I have had some people send me messeges saying this was a bad thread to start, but I don't think it is. It's a way for all of us to blow of steam, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, someone that has done this to somebody at one time will think to themselves and change how they approach a sale or a buy. My fingers are tired, its late. Have a good night everyone!

Jeremy

Shadera
05-21-2009, 03:52 AM
Just had a guy tell me my 2007 100% het clown 1000+ grams female I purchased from Greg Graziani was only worth $550 shipped. Man, I LOVE the dealing with people aspect of this hobby. This is the same guy who ran me around in circles for an animal I had for sale a while back getting new pictures and everything, just to stall out on the deal and I ended up selling to someone else.

Anyone wanna buy my stuff wholesale so I don't have to deal with rude buyers? All I wanted was to breed some snakes I enjoy. :ack2:

charmer
05-21-2009, 09:37 AM
I think this now is becoming a thread about the time that is taken from you and I can definitely see how that is annoying but then again think about what you should do maybe give a lower price? or if it is that they find nicer animals then you should step up your projects.

Wow. Talk about a slap in the face to good sellers out there... it's like saying 'Yeah, maybe your product sucks and it is your fault that they are rude to you and that there is no longer such things as common courtesy!' So, because you want a little more for your animal than another seller, does that make it OK for someone to lead you on or treat you badly? I wonder, do you have the experience selling and years in business, and therefore firsthand experience in this matter, to be able to be preaching this?

I think this thread is harmless, it is a DISCUSSION, not a bad guy thread. Nobody is implicated and this DOES happen to folks regularly and it's good for them to get it off their chests. You vented to your Mom about the seller that irritated you, well... we are sharing experiences. If somebody learns something along the way, discovers... "Hey, I didn't realize that that bothered folks!" More power to the thread.

I personally, have NO problem waiting for a buyer to come through, or relisting my animals when they do not. Not a big deal to wait a bit for me, I don't need a backup buyer, or to rub it in somebodys face that I do. The issue is in the other folks knowing how it affects, or potentially affects, your business. Therein is the lack of courtesy; not that we can expect everyone to have it. As I said before, not always a big deal... nobody got scammed, but a person with no respect for your time will take advantage of it and you.

This is My opinion and we do appreciate yours, although you have taken over this end of the thread to prove your point! LOL!

BryonsBoas
05-21-2009, 01:04 PM
I understand you don't like rude buyers no one does but it seems like there are just a few of you who feel upset about it. This could be an extremely long thread if there was a seriously problem here I think only about eight people actually posted agreeing with you guys. Really guys it is their money you want if you want it that bad you should take the rudeness. Is it rudeness like; "you don't know what you are talking about" or other rudeness? I think there is a reason why you don't see sellers saying how bad person is usually. Nothing against you guys but this is silly as I said before. I think this really should be closed.

I'm not a doormat for anybody. Respect is a 2 way street, if the customer wants it, they have to approach me with it. If the first contact is in any way rude or insulting, I'm done with it. I don't need a sale or a deal so bad that I'll be abused by anyone to get it.

If the the potential customer contacts me in a nice & polite manner, I'll go farther for them than I will a someone rude or disrespectful. Dunno where you get your way of thinking but I won't be following it anytime soon.

crotalusadamanteus
05-21-2009, 07:47 PM
For every action, there is an equal yet opposite REaction.

Respect is commanded, not DEMANDED. Real simple actually.

mxracer4life
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Well said Charmer. Thank you.

charmer
05-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Anytime! ;)

R. Eventide
06-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Sometimes I just want to yank all my ads and say screw it. Dealing with people is definitely the tough part of the hobby.

Yeah, this is the part that makes me nervous. I haven't started selling yet, but I'm preparing for it (should have baby pythons next year). I love snakes, and I love taking care of them, but I am definitely not a people person. The vast majority of the general public makes me want to beat my head against a concrete wall until I go unconscious and not have to deal with it anymore!

I like hearing people's responses about the antics of potential buyers--it lets me know what I'm in for! I do have one question, though: If a person has not committed to holding an animal--say, they seem to have no intention of putting a down-payment on an animal to hold it--and you're waiting to hear back from them, how long do you wait until you consider selling the animal to someone else?

For example, Buyer A wants your only female pastel ball python and contacts you about it. You respond, but A has not responded back in a couple days. In the meantime, Buyer B is also interested in the snake.

My initial reaction is to contact A and say that I have another potential buyer for the snake, and if they are serious about purchasing said snake, then they need to contact me within a certain timeframe (maybe a couple days). Then, I contact B and tell them someone else is thinking of buying the snake, but if they don't respond within the timeframe, the snake goes to B.

I understand that all situations are different, but it seems to me that if someone is dilly-dallying and another is very serious, then the serious buyer should get the purchase. Is this being rude to the first buyer since he contacted the seller first? If so, how long do you guys recommend waiting on the first buyer to respond before giving the second person a chance?

And on an entirely different note about the "right of refusal" to a potential buyer: If someone contacted me about a snake they'd like to purchase, and his first e-mail involved swearing at and/or insulting me, I would be inclined to either (1) reply (politely) that if they want to do business with me, they need to treat me with some respect or (2) reply that I refuse to do business with someone who lacks common decency. Is this being rude to the buyer?

crotalusadamanteus
06-23-2009, 05:45 PM
The vast majority of the general public makes me want to beat my head against a concrete wall until I go unconscious and not have to deal with it anymore!

It'll hurt a lot less if it's their head. :dgrin:

AbsoluteApril
06-23-2009, 07:32 PM
For example, Buyer A wants your only female pastel ball python and contacts you about it. You respond, but A has not responded back in a couple days. In the meantime, Buyer B is also interested in the snake.

My initial reaction is to contact A and say that I have another potential buyer for the snake, and if they are serious about purchasing said snake, then they need to contact me within a certain timeframe (maybe a couple days). Then, I contact B and tell them someone else is thinking of buying the snake, but if they don't respond within the timeframe, the snake goes to B.

This is exactly what I do. Always good to give the original buyer a chance, some people aren't online very often. I usually give them a week to respond or it's on to the next person.

BryonsBoas
06-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Screw waiting. Part of my TOS is first come , first serve. I can understand considering the purchase but if Buyer B has the cash first, unless its agreed prior with Buyer A, then Buyer B has a new snake or gecko.

We opted for this since waiting even 3 days can loose your Buyer B since Buyer B could very well continue shopping while they are waiting. I'm easy to work with but my bills don't get paid just thinking about it.

hhmoore
06-24-2009, 07:05 AM
If a person has not committed to holding an animal--say, they seem to have no intention of putting a down-payment on an animal to hold it--and you're waiting to hear back from them, how long do you wait until you consider selling the animal to someone else?I boldfaced the key part of that statement...if they aren't willing to open their wallet and either pay, or make a good faith deposit, they lose out. (sure, I make exceptions for regular customers or people I trust...and I know the same has been done for me - that's the joy of having an ongoing business relationship)

And on an entirely different note about the "right of refusal" to a potential buyer: If someone contacted me about a snake they'd like to purchase, and his first e-mail involved swearing at and/or insulting me, I would be inclined to either (1) reply (politely) that if they want to do business with me, they need to treat me with some respect or (2) reply that I refuse to do business with someone who lacks common decency. Is this being rude to the buyer?If someone is cursing or insulting in their first email, I'd probably be inclined to just delete it and move on. If I did respond, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about whether my refusal to deal with them was considered rude.

katebirdrex
11-04-2009, 11:46 AM
It doesn't surprise me that many sellers out there are dealing with these problems--I agree with the others who've said this happens in every business, unfortunately. I work as a communications consultant and have had a lot of potential clients waste my time putting together detailed proposals and they either never respond, or they have a very unrealistic idea of what should be charged. To some extent I do chalk it up to a numbers game, and over time I've also gotten better at weeding out the bargain-hunters early. As I say to all of my new clients--in many cases you get what you pay for, and it's never been part of my business strategy to chase the bottom of the market.

On a different aspect of this topic--I've been surprised by how may reptile breeders/keepers out there are trying to sell high-end animals at high-end prices ($1000/pr and up), yet are unwilling to post photos in their ads or answer reasonable questions about provenance/breeding lines. I'm not sure how anyone can do business at that end of the market without sharing such basic information, but I've had lots of inquiries go unanswered when I requested photos, length of possession of "LTC" animals, and/or info on genetics of CB animals.