PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Venomoid spectacle or monocle

cobrajake
05-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Hello, I have had rattlers my whole life. I have never had a venomoid.
I don't live anywhere near somewhere that would have antivenom and don't feel like going through that. So, spare me the ethical debate. If you have a venomoid for sale that has a certificate of full apparatus removal...please email me.
I was in India and fell in love with a venomoid spectacle over there. I really want one.

I am very new to cobras and don't know their temperaments. I only know that spitters are generally nasty to deal with. I want something on the calmer side. I am not talking ball python calm but, I want to safely learn to tail without saying "oh no, I got bit. I might die."
Suggestions on breeds that are more docile would be appreciated. Please no inputs on my ethical standpoint. We can just agree to disagree.

I don't want it to play with, I don't want it to show off with, I just want one for the sheer fact that they are amazing and I don't feel like being on the business end of that snake while learning to handle it or cleaning it's cage. I fully expect to get tagged a few times and I don't want to die or lose a piece of my arm or finger.
email: jacob.berenguer@med.navy.mil

SteeleReptiles
05-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Maybe if you fully expect that your gonna get tagged a few times you should stick with nonvenomous until you think you have enough experience to properly keep a cobra. Hot or not you shouldnt feel comfortable taking a bite from it. Venomoids are not all there cracked up to be. Good luck with whatever you go with. Just might want to think about holding off and getting enough experience. Cobras are amazing animals and god made them right the first time. If you dont want to die stay away from venomous! Or to more simplify it dont get bitten!

cobrajake
05-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I agree. However, even the best handlers get hit eventually. Accidents happen and that is one "ooops" really doesn't cover.
I have had tons of nonvenomous snakes and can handle them. I have never had a ballistic crazy rattler. All the ones I had were pretty easy to deal with.
My main reason for wanting a venomoid is the lack of available antivenom in the general area and not wanting to deal with the hot bite in the first place. I think it would be like a really pissed off gopher snake with a wicked overbite.
As I said, I am not looking to play with it, I just want to take getting a hot bite out of the equation.
Yeah, God made them right the first time. God also gave me wisdom teeth that had to be pulled. It happened once, I healed...and carried on.
Thanks, that was actually a nice reply from what I was expecting. Concern and information are always welcome.

SteeleReptiles
05-08-2009, 06:29 PM
No problem just wanting to make sure you know what your getting. Yes even the best snake keepers get bitten but thats usually becuase they become careless and start letting there guard down a bit. Theres a guy that had a venomoid albino mono about 2 hours away from me but IM not sure if he has already sold it or not. If you want a venomoid though I would go with venomoid inc. At least then you could get a baby and raise it up. Best of luck to you though with whatever you decide. Cobras are amazing animals!!!!

cobrajake
05-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Well, tell the guy about my ad and I went to venomoid inc. and they actually don't have any cobras right now. Weird.
I actually would rather have a regular color cobra. I think they look nicer.

Gary O
05-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Jake do you have the proper permits to own a venomous snake in CA? venomoid or not it lists species.

Also Cobras are one of the main species to be known to have mistakes done during surgery and become venomous again. So that one bite that you think is not a wet bite might still cost you your life

SteeleReptiles
05-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Gary does have a point.

cobrajake
05-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I hate having my hopes and dreams crushed with facts.
haha

SteeleReptiles
05-08-2009, 08:47 PM
move to south carolina you own pretty much everything. Our illegal sheet is very short lol

jparker1167
05-09-2009, 02:38 AM
yep like gary said you can not keep exotic venomous snakes in cali, also weather you are dealing with a venomoid or a venomous snake you should not be getting bit. venomoids are supposed to be handled as if they are venomous, its just another precaution for the keeper and like gary said elapids have been known to produce venom again. lol and if your getting bit by it once or twice a week your making a mistake.

cobrajake
05-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I will wear big gloves and a carry a cattle prod.
Ok ok ok...no cobra for Jake. Sheesh.
I wasn't planning on getting bitten once or twice a week and of course I would handle it as if it were hot.
Venom or no, I don't want those fangs diggnig into my arm. OW.