PDA

View Full Version : For Sale HYBRID - RED X B&W Tegu

Serpents of Legend
10-30-2009, 04:26 AM
This is literally a tegu-lovers dream, for so many reasons... I hate to do it but these two little boys have to go... I have two male clutchmates that are just now over one year old. The mother is a black and white and the father was a red monster. I will post pictures ASAP. Their coloration is patterned like a typical black and white, except that the white areas are peach and reddish-orange. Some of the darker areas are sort of maroon. Their bellies are peachy yellow? (yes, yes, I know... pictures!). But the hybrid color is not the really interesting part with my boys... What I can't get over is their size. These guys are going to be absolutely huge. The smaller one looks about the size of a typical, well-fed yearling but with an extra, extra long tail. He's about 3 1/2 feet... The larger one hasn't even bulked up or developed his jowls yet, but his body is bigger than some adult tegus I have seen. And his tail... Well, this guy is already well over 4 1/2 feet long... He will definitely grow over 5 and I wouldn't be surprised if he hits the 6 foot mark. Just as a comparison, I have a 5 year old male... He doesn't get along with the two youngsters, which is partly why I have to sell them. Anyway, he is super thick and stocky and he's only 3 1/2 feet with all of his original tail. He even weighs 15 pounds. When these little guys fill out, I can't even imagine how big they will be.

These guys spent their youth in glass tanks and then a critter condo with Mercury vapor bulbs. They also got plenty of natural sunlight. They have never gone without UVB, so there are no issues with VitD3 and calcium. You could still keep them in a large cage... But right now, they have the run of half the house. At night, they both cuddle like kittens in their favorite blanket on the floor of my bedroom. Then, when I come home from work, I turn on the 160 watt MVB that is mounted coming out of the wall, about 16" above their flat basking rocks. That's it... A light, rocks and a blanket. As far as "going"... They never went potty in their cages, ever. I would just put them in the bath every night and they would pretty much go. They will also gladly go outside on grass or dirt. After I got rid of the cage, I had to come up with something, so I spent a lot of time paper-training them the same way you would a puppy. I would say they are about 85-90 % trained - IF you are just leaving them alone and hoping they use the paper. If you get used to their routine and body language, you'll never have any accidents. What else... They are the most affectionate reptiles ever... Period. They will follow you around the house and scratch on the door if you lock them out. The only thing that will settle them down is being thrown over your shoulder - where they will stay until you remove them. They have never bitten or tail-whipped. They have never shown any hint of aggression - Even if you pull their blankets back and snatch them out of their deep sleep. They have never been fed in a cage, so there is no cage/feeding aggression. In fact, I used to prepare a bowl of calcium supplemented raw turkey and just set it on the floor. That was somewhat messy. Now, I roll it into rat-sized balls and feed them with a fork. Really.

There is too much to say about these two. They are beautiful, huge, healthy and tame as a lapdogs. If I had the room, I would never ever let them go. I hope they find a home where they will be treated like a pet member of the family - Not just a lizard in a cage. I would also love for them to go together, but I know that may be impossible. I am asking $350 for the smaller one and $450 for the larger. I'll knock $100 off for anyone who takes them both.