PDA

View Full Version : Can I have your opinion.

philanddebora
09-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi all,

I have just had a clutch of 5 eggs hatch from my Mojave male to my "normal" female, the female must have a hidden gene, only 3 survived and are super reduced and almost lavender in color, the other 2 dead ones I am posting pictures to see if anyone can give me a guess as to what you think the hidden gene is, also I had no normal's out of the pairing.

................... CLOSED THREAD THANKS .................

deborahbroadus
09-29-2010, 12:09 PM
With the dead ones, it's hard to tell, because they may not have developed all their color before dying. Post pictures of the surviving one after shed?

philanddebora
09-29-2010, 12:20 PM
The pics where taken just as they died and they where that color when they where coming through the egg.
Thanks Deborah, I will post pics of the others too.

jeffwyatt81
09-29-2010, 01:51 PM
They definately look like under developed mojave's to me. Id really like to see the pics of the remaining live ones. On the living ones, were the yolk sacks fully absorbed? At what day of incubation did they hatch and at what temp?

philanddebora
09-29-2010, 01:53 PM
They hatched at 59 days and at 88 to 90, I will post pics of the live ones later and the yolk sac's where not fully absorbed.

jeffwyatt81
09-29-2010, 02:02 PM
The yolk not being fully absorbed is most likely the reason they are lacking color, if the living ones don't die off they will most likely start coloring up and looking like normal colored mojave's sometime in the near future. Sorry for the loss of the two but I hope the others remain living for you. Good luck and I'll keep an eye out for when you post those pics.

philanddebora
09-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the reply Jeffrey.

Chico Reptiles
09-29-2010, 03:04 PM
The heads do not look fully developed to me. At 59 days at 88-89 they should be fully developed. What kind of incubator? Do you monitor temps in egg box?

To me it seems they could not have been 88-89 the entire 59 days to be that under developed. Are you sure of your temps at the eggs? Could they have had hot and cold spikes?

Sorry about the loss ,it's always a bummer but is part of the game.

philanddebora
09-29-2010, 03:36 PM
They where incubated by using a store bought digital type from think geek which I have been using for years and no I didn't have any spikes in temps either, but I agree their heads do look under developed.

Thanks for your input.

Casey Hulse
09-29-2010, 03:52 PM
They do look very under developed to me also. Can you also post pics of the normal fem. 5 out of 5 mojos is good odds. Also, the digital from Think Geek is that refrigerator thing some outfits are sticking a name on and calling an incubator right? I bought one, and the temps. fluctuate as much as 10 degrees on the one I have. set at 88, it will go from 83L to 93H. This could have something to do with the undevelopment.

Melinda
09-29-2010, 04:16 PM
I read somewhere that someone had as much as a 4 degree temp difference from the top to the bottom. Any chance these eggs were at the bottom? I also read that the temp reading on the incubator is not always the actual temp inside.

Sorry about the little ones. I lost 2 BEL in 09 and I almost threw in the towel. I'd definitely make this pairing again next season and I'd let them pip on their own. I don't know if you cut or they pipped.

philanddebora
09-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks Melinda. They where at the top of the incubator.

philanddebora
09-29-2010, 11:48 PM
They do look very under developed to me also. Can you also post pics of the normal fem. 5 out of 5 mojos is good odds. Also, the digital from Think Geek is that refrigerator thing some outfits are sticking a name on and calling an incubator right? I bought one, and the temps. fluctuate as much as 10 degrees on the one I have. set at 88, it will go from 83L to 93H. This could have something to do with the undevelopment.

My incubator only fluctuated 1 or 2 degrees at the most and I have used it for Chameleons for the past 2 years without any problems.

LadyOhh
09-30-2010, 10:29 AM
They look like underdeveloped Mojaves to me. Sorry for your loss.

deborahbroadus
09-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Could be a case of Arrested Development; lack of absorption of the yolk-failure to thrive in egg.

Doesn't have to be the fault of temps or anything. Just something that happens in nature from time to time.

philanddebora
09-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks to every one who commented case closed.

Carlene16
09-30-2010, 11:39 AM
do you have pictures of the alive little ones? please post!