PDA

View Full Version : Spider Wobble

Nathan91
10-27-2010, 09:39 PM
I have a little Spider that I bought because I plan on breeding him when the time comes. However, after bringing him home and watching him slither around I noticed the signature head wobble. My question is: Is it okay to breed him even though he has a noticeable wobble? He still has never refused a meal. I know that most say Spiders have at least some kind of wobble it just depends on the severity. So do you think breeding him is okay or should I just keep him as a nice pet and get a guy with no noticeable wobble? Thanks

-Nathan

JoeEllisReptiles
10-28-2010, 11:01 AM
I have seen many spiders. Most people do not like to talk about the wobble. It is in the spiders genetics. Spiders that wobble can make spiders that dont. Spiders that do not wobble can make spiders that do wobble. I have never had any issues with wobbles as long as the snake can feed on its own. I have lots of spiders, bees, albino spiders, lesser bees, mojave bees, etc and some wobble and some do not. My breeder Albino Spider wobbles but has only made 3/15 wobble spiders. I hope this helps.

Joe Ellis

Nathan91
10-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if it was something that was for sure going to be passed on or get worse through the next generations. Thanks again

-Nathan

Focal
10-28-2010, 12:17 PM
FWIW, I have read about several people that actually like the wobble. They say it gives the snake 'personality.'

Nathan91
10-28-2010, 12:23 PM
It seems a little weird to like a genetic defect. :) Hopefully no one starts breeding for the wobble!

Focal
10-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Aren't all morphs a genetic defect ;)

JoeEllisReptiles
10-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I am not sure why they do what they do. I have noticed that most spiders grow at an incredible rate compared to a lot of other morphs. I have gotten spiders up to 1500 grams in 12-13 months. I almost wonder if they have a faster metabolism compared to other morphs and that is why they cruise so much and have the weird wobbles and spins. I have also noticed that even my non wobble spiders are 10X more active than any of my other morphs. Anyone else notice that as well?

Joe Ellis

SIGNATURE DESIGN EXOTICS
10-28-2010, 01:13 PM
i have noticed that as well. my spiders eat more and grow more. ive also hear that they have a better immune system too. im not sure about this but none of my spiders seem to get sick. all in all i think with the combos you can make the wobble is not a big deal..

Focal
10-28-2010, 01:27 PM
With respect to the growth rate, does this seem to shorten the life span? I know power feeding shortens the life span which results in an accelerated growth rate too.

SIGNATURE DESIGN EXOTICS
10-28-2010, 01:37 PM
i have not notice a short lifespan. none of my spiders have died inculding my oldest that is going on 8 years old. the reason i feed them more is cause they are active. the burn cals so i give them more like you would lizards cause there active.

JoeEllisReptiles
10-28-2010, 01:48 PM
I am not even sure if you can power feed a ball python. My balls only eat if they want to eat. in my own opinion I think balls are designed to feed as much or as little as they want. I have a 13 year old girl I feed a jumbo rat every 5-7 days and she is still growing and is healthy as can be.

Joe Ellis

Subdriven
10-28-2010, 11:19 PM
have heard that after 2000 grams you shouldn't feed them that much anymore.

and I have a spider question too. my bee used to wobble, now it doesn't and just has a wierd head tilt, he'll always move around with his head slightly tilted. but his neck seems big compared to his head. I only have the 1 boy and all the rest are females so I'm not sure if that is normal for spiders or males...... or none..

Focal
10-29-2010, 07:10 AM
have heard that after 2000 grams you shouldn't feed them that much anymore.

and I have a spider question too. my bee used to wobble, now it doesn't and just has a wierd head tilt, he'll always move around with his head slightly tilted. but his neck seems big compared to his head. I only have the 1 boy and all the rest are females so I'm not sure if that is normal for spiders or males...... or none..

My pinstripe has the thick neck too. It seems like the widest point of her head rolls right into her neck (no bottle neck), but she is my pickiest eater and slowest grower so it's not from being a fatty :p

Subdriven
10-29-2010, 12:41 PM
My pinstripe has the thick neck too. It seems like the widest point of her head rolls right into her neck (no bottle neck), but she is my pickiest eater and slowest grower so it's not from being a fatty :p

lol.. sounds like my bee... looks like a double chin thing going... lol.. mine isn't picky, seemed to grow to 600 grams quick!! but has slowed down and only got 200 more in the last year... lol.. eats great and no prob with live small/med rats with his tilted head! He's a great looking super high white male bee at 800 grams and holding bright yellows above the high whites on his side!! Can't wait to see a baby bee from him this year!!