PDA

View Full Version : Ok Ok Ok

BallBoutique
10-30-2010, 11:06 AM
What makes a person who breed any animal a Professional breeder?

I mean you put a male and female together and have babies does that makes you a professional breeder? Please help me understand this slogan.
I don't use that term yet unlike most breeders I am an S corporation. I pay taxes on all profits. I collect all sales taxes in my state. But I do not use that term.

gsrept
10-31-2010, 10:08 AM
If your breeding is your sole way to make money you are a professional breeder.

BallBoutique
10-31-2010, 10:31 AM
If your breeding is your sole way to make money you are a professional breeder.

Interesting.
So a person who producing several clutches a year is not a professional breeder because he/she receive his/her income from another source. Interesting.
That means because I receive other monies I am not a professional.

Chico Reptiles
10-31-2010, 11:13 AM
So whats your point Rick?

Are you calling a particular person out?

Lot's of us are licensed business' I pay taxes and collect sales tax. So what?

BallBoutique
10-31-2010, 11:17 AM
So whats your point Rick?

Are you calling a particular person out?

Lot's of us are licensed business' I pay taxes and collect sales tax. So what?

Why would I call anyone out. It is just a question no more. Do you consider yourself a Pro?

Subdriven
10-31-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm not a pro.. lol!! 1 clutch means nothing.......

Chico Reptiles
10-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Why would I call anyone out. It is just a question no more. Do you consider yourself a Pro?

I consider myself a hobby breeder, because I enjoy what I do. The only reason I licensed it is because of my other business, I gain enough tax write offs for my expenses to wash what I pay for the other.

If your looking for opinions? I would say most small breeders should remain hobbyist. Only sales over $500 need to be reported. We all know that with the dropping prices this is not all that often anymore...

kellysballs
10-31-2010, 01:47 PM
I don't consider us professionals because we have other jobs. Kelly's Balls is also licensed and registered, we also pay sales and self employement taxes. But we did this because legally in our state to sell a reptile you MUST have a class 3 license period hobbiest or not. So I figured why go 1/2 way with it and make it a full fledged small business. Yes for the first 3 years we where in the red or just breaking even but we have begun to make a small profit that allows us to not have to come out of pocket every time we add a new morph or buy rats.

BUT, even though I don't consider us (Kelly's Balls) professionals I also don't consider us hobbiests any more. I don't consider the animals and their up keep a "hobby" it is more like a job that you really enjoy and get excited about. (passion maybe is the word I am looking for but that seems a little strong)

On yet another hand, I consider you (Rick) to be a professional and any of the other small and large breeders that I have made purchases from. (even though I have no way to know if you are for real business or hobbiest unless you tell me)

To me professional is a perception. I try to act and present my self and my "company" professionally. I also try to run Kelly's Balls professionally. But I still don't consider my self a professional ball python breeder.

Oh well thats my 2 cents. Just remember you asked for it :D!

gsrept
10-31-2010, 02:07 PM
if it is a hobby and you sell, off spring produced does not mean you are a professional breeder i produced 10 clutches of balls and a couple litters of boas do i consider it my profession no, i am an plc electrician. IMO if you do this as a full time job like lets say NERD they are a professional breeder there whole income comes from the sale and breeding of reptiles, now that does not mean that a small breeder does not handle them selfes in a professional manner, anyone with $100 can register a buisness name that does not mean anything.

SIGNATURE DESIGN EXOTICS
11-03-2010, 12:07 AM
i like to think that a hobbyist is someone who loves what they do and does it well. where a pro lives for what he does and no matter how good they are they think they can do better, learn more and try harder. only a pro can pick on perfection.

Ultimate Pythons
11-03-2010, 04:30 AM
I am a Licensed Oklahoma Ball Python Breeder. Sounds fancy doesn't it? All it really means is that I am an honest person who wanted to breed and sell Ball Pythons legally in the state of Oklahoma by getting a business license. I pay taxes and so on. I keep a very professional attitude, I have a professional looking website, I have 14 years of experience with Ball Pythons, and I keep a very clean and professional looking reptile room. I feel very confident in caring and breeding my Ball Pythons, but my wife and I do this because we enjoy it. I also am a Power Plant Operator and that is my career or profession.

I feel that if you are to call yourself a Professional Breeder then that would mean you make your income solely by breeding ball pythons. A professional breeder does not mean you know everything so you are some sort of pro. I mean really know one knows everything. My wife watches a crazy TV show where Professional Home Decorators come in your house and remodel everything and let me tell ya they suck at it, but they are considered Professionals because that is their career.

Not sure what kind of answer you were looking for but these are my thoughts on the subject.

What do you consider a Professional breeder to be?