PDA

View Full Version : Pastel or spider lucy??

Subdriven
10-30-2010, 11:45 AM
So I have a bumble bee and a BEL ( Mojave x Lesser) that I want to bread in the next season or 2. Hoping for some pastel or spider x mojave or lessers that clutch. But had a question. There is the possability that a lucy will pop out and is there any way to tell if it has the spider or pastel gene in it??

And if a lucy poped out how would you label it?? BEL 66% pos spider and pastel? Kinda like having a het for something in the lucy??

TheFragginDragon
10-30-2010, 12:28 PM
The way I understand it, the only way you can pop out a BEL from your (Mojave x Lesser) BEL is if you mate it with one that carries either the Mojave, Lesser, Het Russo, or Butter gene, or another BEL . If you put your Bumblebee with your BEL, you'd could end up with:

Mojave
Lesser
Pastave
Mojave Bee
Lesser Bee
Pastave Bee
Pastel Lesser
Queen Bee

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

rjarosek
10-30-2010, 12:34 PM
The way I understand it, the only way you can pop out a BEL from your (Mojave x Lesser) BEL is if you mate it with one that carries either the Mojave, Lesser, Het Russo, or Butter gene, or another BEL . If you put your Bumblebee with your BEL, you'd could end up with:

Mojave
Lesser
Pastave
Mojave Bee
Lesser Bee
Pastave Bee
Pastel Lesser
Queen Bee

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

:iagree:

DeeRa
10-30-2010, 12:46 PM
John I think your 100% right other than you forgot you could also possibly get just a pastel and spider

Clay Davenport
10-30-2010, 12:47 PM
And if a lucy poped out how would you label it?? BEL 66% pos spider and pastel? Kinda like having a het for something in the lucy??

As was mentioned, a lucy isn't possible from this particular breeding, but say you had a mojave spider for instance, then you could produce leucistic spiders.
Unless the spider gene caused something weird to happen with the combo, like the spider pieds, you wouldn't be able to tell which if any were spiders unless they were raised and bred.
In this case I would label them BEL possible spider and explain the parents genetics. I wouldn't use a % designation because there is no het spider. Technically it would be 50/50 whether it was a spider, but adding the % to the label just seems wrong considering the nature of the spider gene.

The common thinking is leucistic trumps everything and cancels anything else out. This is why it's considered a dead end mutation, the only change you could make is to make it a red eyed lucy by adding the albino gene.
However, given the unexpected results of a number of gene combinations in balls, I wouldn't just assume the spider gene would be completely masked until one is produced and proven.

Clay Davenport
10-30-2010, 12:50 PM
John I think your 100% right other than you forgot you could also possibly get just a pastel and spider

Actually he couldn't. BELs cannot produce normals. They're like a super pastel. In order for a spider or a pastel to be produced by the bee, the other parent would have to contribute a normal gene.

Bob O'Brien
10-30-2010, 01:29 PM
:iagree:

Subdriven
10-30-2010, 01:29 PM
So wait.. I undersdtand that the mojave and lesser genes are close.. but are they the same, different mutation of the same gene?? are they not able to give both to the next offspring?? If a bel has both the mojave and lesser gene and can pass them both off singaly why can't it pass both off on the same baby?? They are like supers?? no mater what either lesser or mojave is going to get passed on??

this just made that breading season so much more intereesting... give me 2 years and we will have some fun!!

Subdriven
10-30-2010, 01:37 PM
and may I mention... my bel is from TheFragginDragon !! and it is PERFECT!!

just sayn'

Subdriven
10-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Here she is!!

TheFragginDragon
10-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks Jeremie!
She's looking beautiful, I miss her!

I believe it's the combination of those two genes that produce the BEL. For example, your girl carries both the Mojave and Lesser gene. The parents of any pairing contribute one gene from each for every attribute . Your girl could pass on either the Mojave gene, or the Lesser gene, in each egg, but not both in a single egg.

That isn't the most scientific (or the most simple) way to explain it, but it's the best I can do without using terms that I sometimes don't completely understand :rofl:

Subdriven
10-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Ok.. that is where I got confused then. I thought they cfould both be passed along to the same egg, making it a very small chance to make a BEL with a single bel. That is fine, I always wanted a straight white snake, but me picking yours was the super clean version of a mojave and lesser mix. I wanted both gene's in my pool for breading.