PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Opinion on my Dinkers???

Briscoe007
11-08-2010, 09:44 AM
The first pic was apparently an imported African Baby female that I picked up as an adult, and the second was 100% a wild caught in Africa as a subadult. As far as I know this will be the first breeding season for either one.

To me the 1st snake looks womaish, but could be reduced pattern.
The second pic looks like a cinny, but he has a purple glow that my other cinnys do not have. It is really hard to catch on camera (at least for a rookie like myself).

What do ya'll think?

Wolfy-hound
11-08-2010, 10:11 AM
IMO, the first looks normal. Nice, less pattern than some, but well within normal range.

The second might look a bit like a black pastel/cinny but still falls within the range of normal, so... that's iffy. I'm sure it looks a bit different in person as ball pythons are notorious for not showing properly in pictures. But that's my opinion just looking at your pictures.

Of course.. that's the fun of ball pythons, breeding to see if/what/how. Good luck.

deborahbroadus
11-08-2010, 10:34 AM
IMO, the first looks normal. Nice, less pattern than some, but well within normal range.

The second might look a bit like a black pastel/cinny but still falls within the range of normal, so... that's iffy. I'm sure it looks a bit different in person as ball pythons are notorious for not showing properly in pictures. But that's my opinion just looking at your pictures.

Of course.. that's the fun of ball pythons, breeding to see if/what/how. Good luck.

:iagree: They are some gorgeous animals nonetheless and it should be fun proving if anything is there or not.:thumbsup:

Briscoe007
11-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks - what do you think about this pastel female - from an obvious normal to an average pastel. In my opinion she is such a phenominal pastel that something else has to be going on. Maybe not though maybe there are a lot just like her and I am unaware of it.

If anyone else has a pastel that looks like her I'd love to see pics

Casey Hulse
11-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd say your "obvious normal",.. isn't.
Looks like a nice super to me.

Briscoe007
11-08-2010, 11:30 AM
You may be right, but I am wondering about one of those hidden fader genes floating around out there. I'd swear she was a super myself, but I really don't think so.

Either way I appreciate the input

Casey Hulse
11-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Can you post a pic. of the "normal"?

Briscoe007
11-08-2010, 12:00 PM
I'll work on it. I think that by describing the parents I may have inadvertently given the impression that I had her parents. I picked her up from a local member and used his description of the parents. He does no his stuff and has been in the business for a long time.

Anyway, I'll email him about the pics

ClarkeReptiles
11-08-2010, 01:24 PM
The dinkers are both real lookers! I love the reduced pattern of the first and the darkness of the second is just awesome. Not sure if there is something going on genetically. You won't know until you breed them though. :)

And that pastel is amazing! That blushing is insane!

rcpreis3
11-09-2010, 02:12 AM
well if that reduced female dont prove out and u wanna get rid of her after the season lemme know ill have a male id love to throw her to!

rcpreis3
11-09-2010, 02:14 AM
oh and btw that pastel looks like a super, and a nice one at that! Even if she aint a super shes definitely a keeper!

Briscoe007
11-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks Robert

I'll let everyone know when and if she proves out. She is working on it now.

Btw - I think that I should pics of the pastels parents being sent my way in the near future

hhmoore
11-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm curious what it is your are trying to prove out? I'm not knocking the animals, as they are both very nice; just curious what your plans are. Phenotypes are at least somewhat hereditary, so making similar looking babies won't necessarily mean "morph".
You don't say what you are breeding them to. At least in the beginning, I would put them to similar looking animals, or those with complimentary traits....Probably a nice reduced male for the first one, and the choice for the second would depend on what you think it looks like. You said it looks a lot like a cinny, so that would be one option. Personally, I think I'd probably go with a mojave, if you have one (almost, sort of, has a mystic/phantom look - imagine seeing a potion peeking out of an egg at you).

Of course, the converse logic could also be used - put them to something different in appearance; then, if they make little versions of themselves, you'll at least know that the look is passed along. (then you can try to sort out what it is, if anything)

Focal
11-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Gorgeous pastel!!

Briscoe007
11-09-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm limited by what I have on hand, but right now my plans are:

I am breeding the female to a double het vpi snow. She is a dead ringer for a darker version of my woma. I am hoping that about 50% of the babies look like her, but if they don't at least I will have produced 50% het vpi snows. Of course if she produces babies like her I will put one of her sons with her in a couple seasons - hoping for a super but dreading the possibility of a pearl. Yeah - it will take a while - but the hobbyist in me says it is worth it.

As for the male, he is a ready breeder. He has locked up multiple times with a normal and a lesser so far. I kind of figure I know what a cinny lesser looks like, and it is pretty distinct, and with the normal I can see if he throws anything similar to him. I like the mojave idea, but I don't have any in my collection. I also have a female cinny that should be ready next season. If he throws anything that looks cinny, I'll put him with her then and see if I get any supers.

He looks a lot more cinny than the picture indicates, but it is very difficult to catch his blushing and brown color on camera because of his iridescence.

I am very open to suggestions on what to breed them with.

Briscoe007
02-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Just cleaing up some of my postings.
My first to pics should produce eggs any day now. I am taking the long way of proving them. Both bred with normals this season.

I have been unable to get pics of the pastel that I posted a pic of. However, I did speak with the breeder who swears that she came for a normal to pastel breeding. I guess I'll have to wait a couple of years to prove or disprove that. Either way I am pretty happy with her.

GreenCountryHerp
02-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Those are both great snakes to start a dinker project. They both have some interesting traits. That is how all this ball python craze got started, with people taking odd looking animals and seeing if they were genetic or not. You never know until you try