PDA

View Full Version : Incubators???

charles85
12-19-2010, 05:38 PM
As far as size, price and effecnicy, what is the best incubator on the market for ball pythons? Send links if you got em, thanks:)

snakesRkewl
12-19-2010, 05:47 PM
IMO the ones you make yourself are by far the best for size, price and efficiency :)

This is the one I'm using this season, it's not complete yet but very soon it will be.
It cost $200 by itself used off of craigslist and after it's finished and ready to use we will have just over $400 into it.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/snakesRkewl/Incubators/truecooler.jpg

Balls Deep Reptiles
12-19-2010, 06:57 PM
I agree with Jerry, Just picked up one of these for myself! Last year I only had 1 clutch of eggs and used the zoomed reptabator. It held temps great and my eggs hatched perfectly. If you only have a few clutches it is great! Good luck

charles85
12-19-2010, 07:22 PM
I would like to make one myself, but I cannot find a mini fidge or anything like the true cooler in the above pic. I have post on craigslist for these items but I have had no response yet, thanks for the opinions

snakesRkewl
12-19-2010, 07:44 PM
From your craigslist:
http://ksu.craigslist.org/app/2042951983.html

this is what I used my first season.
For 1 clutch on one shelf there's no need for a fan, but it will hold 2 or 3 clutches if you add a fan for circulation.
While $50 isn't cheap for one your going to convert it's still do-able I'd think.

You can also just use a standard fridge, while I definitely enjoyed having see through doors they aren't a necessity.

charles85
12-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah I seen that one but $50 is a little too much for one that I'm gonna basically tear up. I found one for $40 on there but after 2 emails I don't think they really want to sell it.

bradleymoore
12-19-2010, 11:19 PM
i snagged this one over the weekend for $50. a medium sized wine cooler. it's already setup with 12" flexwatt, all i plan on doing is adding a fan. it'll hold 6 clutches at a time, possibly 7. thanks josh (ultimatepythons) :)

charles85
12-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Lucky....LOL...Where did you find it at

bradleymoore
12-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Lucky....LOL...Where did you find it at

bartlesville, oklahoma. yeehaw!

rboy
12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
i have a friend in the seafood business, i got 2 shipping icechest and cut the bottom out and duct taped them together filled the bottom with water bottles and put 8 ft of 11" heat tape and a new helix, holding temps great. i don't have the room for something much larger

rcpreis3
12-29-2010, 01:31 AM
As far as size, price and effecnicy, what is the best incubator on the market for ball pythons? Send links if you got em, thanks:)

How many clutches do u anticipate this year?

Matt2979
12-29-2010, 12:07 PM
i snagged this one over the weekend for $50. a medium sized wine cooler. it's already setup with 12" flexwatt, all i plan on doing is adding a fan. it'll hold 6 clutches at a time, possibly 7. thanks josh (ultimatepythons) :)

Bradley, you and I have almost identical set-ups...except I didn't get the good looking stainless model! lol Now, in mine I do not have heat tape on the bottom; just on the back, with a fan on the bottom. From the looks of yours, I'm not sure if you can do it the same way, but I removed all of my shelves, except for the bottom one (doesn't look like you can use one on the bottom). I stacked 6 qt tubs directly on top of one another and I can fit (barely) 10 tubs at the same time. You should be able to get at least 8 in there.

Subdriven
01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Here is one I just built! it's only for 2 6 qt tubes but it was 70$ total!

Balls Deep Reptiles
01-01-2011, 01:55 PM
What is it? A mini fridge?

Subdriven
01-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Wine cooler.. :)

bradleymoore
01-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Bradley, you and I have almost identical set-ups...except I didn't get the good looking stainless model! lol Now, in mine I do not have heat tape on the bottom; just on the back, with a fan on the bottom. From the looks of yours, I'm not sure if you can do it the same way, but I removed all of my shelves, except for the bottom one (doesn't look like you can use one on the bottom). I stacked 6 qt tubs directly on top of one another and I can fit (barely) 10 tubs at the same time. You should be able to get at least 8 in there.

well, i better figure it out. ive never used this one and i need to get a fan tonight and wire it in. i just had a clutch of eggs today when i went to go feed. havent unwrapped the female to see how many.

Matt2979
01-01-2011, 07:55 PM
well, i better figure it out. ive never used this one and i need to get a fan tonight and wire it in. i just had a clutch of eggs today when i went to go feed. havent unwrapped the female to see how many.

Oh you lucky DAWG!!!! Congrats!! Even if you don't have the FIRST clutch of the year, you'll be amongst the top few! Do you know what they are? Let us know once you get them settled.

TheFragginDragon
01-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Got a local appliance store? Go and see if they have any that have been dropped off for disposal and have been drained of their coolant. Typically they'll let you have it for free, since the person who gave it to them for disposal already paid to have it taken care of. That's how I got my full size fridge!

Matt2979
01-01-2011, 08:03 PM
I think all he's gotta do now is wire and install a fan. Man....I just checked on all my pairings and despite the storm that just passed through, I've barely got any activity going on in there! I'll be happy if I have 2 clutches of eggs before April.

Pythonbreeder99
01-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Alright, so on that wine cooler, I see a fan, do you just use that fan (meaning plug it in) or another one that you put in?

Balls Deep Reptiles
01-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I think all he's gotta do now is wire and install a fan. Man....I just checked on all my pairings and despite the storm that just passed through, I've barely got any activity going on in there! I'll be happy if I have 2 clutches of eggs before April.

I've got the same thing going on up here. I had a few good locks in November and then nothing! Did have one lock today but only after putting two other males in with him to spark the fire. Maybe January they'll all fall in love? Try a little wine and Marvin Gaye!!!!

Matt2979
01-01-2011, 09:18 PM
I've got the same thing going on up here. I had a few good locks in November and then nothing! Did have one lock today but only after putting two other males in with him to spark the fire. Maybe January they'll all fall in love? Try a little wine and Marvin Gaye!!!!

I was about to break out some Barry White, but yeah, I think you've got the right idea! :rofl:

bradleymoore
01-02-2011, 12:06 AM
radio shack and everything closed at 7, so i got screwed. i just set the clutch up at the top of the incubator and put the probe right next to it. i think it'll be fine since there is one only clutch right now... but i still plan on getting a fan tomorrow. if anything else drops soon, it will be a mojave x spider clutch. i've had tons of locks since before halloween.

Matt2979
01-02-2011, 08:13 AM
radio shack and everything closed at 7, so i got screwed. i just set the clutch up at the top of the incubator and put the probe right next to it. i think it'll be fine since there is one only clutch right now... but i still plan on getting a fan tomorrow. if anything else drops soon, it will be a mojave x spider clutch. i've had tons of locks since before halloween.

I'm sure you'll be fine without a fan for less than 24 hours (I'm sure for even more, but no need to push).

Good luck with your mojo x spider! I did that last year, but 3 of my 5 eggs perished and I ended up with 1 normal and 1 VERY dark mojo. I still can't believe that you've already got a clutch in the 'bator....TEN EGG clutch at that! :reddevil: lol....CONGRATS!

bradleymoore
01-02-2011, 05:13 PM
thanks. i got one today and wired it up. good to go, as long as there is no loss of power. i'm going to be gone to dallas most of this week.

Subdriven
01-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Alright, so on that wine cooler, I see a fan, do you just use that fan (meaning plug it in) or another one that you put in?

I have one fan on the inside back that circulats only when the heat is on( It's taped intot he same on/off power supply as the heat strips). it is a 12v fan run off a 6v converter( for 1/2 speed) on the side, right behind the thermistat.

Pythonbreeder99
01-02-2011, 07:11 PM
I have one fan on the inside back that circulats only when the heat is on( It's taped intot he same on/off power supply as the heat strips). it is a 12v fan run off a 6v converter( for 1/2 speed) on the side, right behind the thermistat.

Do you just use a computer fan or aquarium fan?