PDA

View Full Version : Just thinking...

Bob O'Brien
12-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Does anyone else ever think about how many BP's there are going to be in 10 years or more. It seems like more and more people are breeding them and were not talking about an animal that only lives for a few years. It just seems to me like were going to be overrun with them at some point.:shrug01:

I know this would never work but I was thinking if everyone in the industry agreed that every so many years (say 5 for example) not to do any breedings that would dramatically cut down on the amount of BP's out there, not to mention give everyones females some time off. Again I know this will never happen for many reasons, like wanting to create new combos and for some of the lucky ones this is the only source of income, and so on.

I know Im going to be ripped apart for this but oh well just my two cents :detonate:

R. Eventide
12-21-2010, 01:00 AM
A few things....

1. Considering how quickly imports sell (or so it seems), it doesn't look like the demand is decreasing much, if at all. If we become "overrun" with BPs, demand will dwindle, and supply will follow.

2. Yes, there are a lot of people getting into breeding, but there are almost as many people getting out of it. Overall, the number is increasing, but I would wager that the vast, vast majority of those doing the increasing are the few big names.

3. What about corn snakes? Leopard geckos? South American boas? I don't think an overpopulation problem will come anytime soon.

Good thoughts, though!

garweft
12-21-2010, 10:38 AM
A few other things to consider as well.

- At least half of the BP's produced each year don't live to see their first birthday. People lose interest quick and when they do it's not long till they forget to water an animal and pretty soon....:(

- Prices crash and once they aren't looked at as profitable people work away from breeding them. Quite a few species have had their day in the sun but once the market is primarily snakes under $50-100 people cut way back on production.

Just look at the number of adds posted in a day that have to do with cornsnakes and leopard geckos. BP's are headed there as well, it just should take a little longer.

snakesRkewl
12-21-2010, 01:15 PM
At least half of the BP's produced each year don't live to see their first birthday.Huh, where does that info come from?
More than half die in less than a year :shrug01:

Casey Hulse
12-21-2010, 03:23 PM
At least half of the BP's produced each year don't live to see their first birthday. People lose interest quick and when they do it's not long till they forget to water an animal and pretty soon....
I do not think this is anywhere near an acurate number.

Matt2979
12-21-2010, 05:41 PM
"Half" might be exaggerated, but I'm sure most of us know where Matthew is going with this. Lots of people jump into breeding balls (along with other animals, I'm sure) looking to get rich quick. It's a shame that many DO neglect their animals once the new wears off, and/or they figure out that getting your money back after paying for LOTS of rats, supplies, good rack system, tubs, etc, etc, etc isn't as easy as it seems from the other side of the fence.

Bob O'Brien
12-21-2010, 05:46 PM
A few other things to consider as well.

- At least half of the BP's produced each year don't live to see their first birthday. People lose interest quick and when they do it's not long till they forget to water an animal and pretty soon....:(

- Prices crash and once they aren't looked at as profitable people work away from breeding them. Quite a few species have had their day in the sun but once the market is primarily snakes under $50-100 people cut way back on production.

Just look at the number of adds posted in a day that have to do with cornsnakes and leopard geckos. BP's are headed there as well, it just should take a little longer.

Im sure that a lot dont make it but many of them go to responsible people who take care of them. I was just thinking about how many are produced every year ( I would really like to know how many are) and forgot about all the "little kids" that have to have one and promise to take care of it.

gsrept
12-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Bob, i say it all the time there has to be a breaking point there is such an influx of babies every year not just from breeders but wild caughts as well. If i was a betting man i would bet that there are far more in captivity today than there are wild populations. And at what point is there to many surplus and lack of demand leads to price drop its simple economics i do not think not breeding is the answer but maybe holding more back or selective breeding would be a better way to go. very good topic. happy holidays to everyone

R. Eventide
12-21-2010, 10:00 PM
I highly doubt half don't make it to their first birthday...in terms of CBB, anyway. Even the cheapest morphs are more expensive than a normal; it's rare for someone to spend a crapton of money on expensive snakes and then let them die (rather than, say, sell them). I'm not saying it's impossible--I've seen enough here on Fauna to know that's not the case.

Can't throw around numbers like that without something to back 'em up. :)