PDA

View Full Version : New Rack... Ideas and Opinions???

Cp3_Pythons
12-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Alright with the holidays nearing their end I've decided I like the rack I obtained but at the same time I dont like it....

I Like it becuase I got it cheap everything was included heat tubs bowls hides thermostats x 2 I dont like the fact I cant find any of the smaller tubs for it and that well :censored: :censored: me off.

I've decided that to bring in the new year I will start it off with a new Rack Build for Bps.
I've decided that I want to use 3 inch heat tape and 41 qt sterlite tubs ( or something very simular but 41 qts)

Im chosing the 3 inch flexwatt because it use's less wattage than the 11 inch and 41 qt tubs becuase The rack is going to be for Juvie's/Adults and I can use a divider as needed. The rack will be 10 levels high housing 10 single adults or 20 juvie's or a combo of both... I'll probally be building 4-5 of these

I will also be building a Hatchling rack ( 3 inch flexwatt and 6qt-15qt tubs or a combo of both I havent decided yet) Im aiming for the hatchling rack to hold 100-200 hatchlings. Im building two of these

Well there's my Bringing in the New Year Plans...

Andy Idea's Opinions or Suggestions??

Cp3_Pythons
12-21-2010, 11:50 PM
FYI Im going to have the tubs sliding in like the ones on this rack Long ways but instead of using 2 diffrent tubs sizes Im only going to be using one...
And using a MUCH LIGHTER material

Focal
12-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Hi Clarence,

Go 11", it's actually the lowest wattage per square inch.

3"/6watt= .17 watts/sq.in.
3"/10watt= .27 watts/sq.in.
4"/8watt= .17 watts/sq.in.
11"/20watt= .15 watts/sq.in

I guess that also depends on how much you are using. Sorry, I'm an advocate for 11" lol. I think an adult BP would have an easier time curling up on 11"x12" than a 3" strip.

Focal
12-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Also, here is a great DIY I used when I built my BP rack:

http://www.reptilianprojects.com/ladderrack.html

I used melamine from home depot and made a 7-bin rack, with tubs, heat tape, wiring, and ranco thermostat for less than $200

Cp3_Pythons
12-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Nick,

Melamine is out the question LoL I have the rack now made out of melamine and its heavier than 2 4 foot boamaster's SMH. I agree it would be easier for a Bp to curl up on an 11 inch peice rather than a 3 inch peice. But Im also using the rack for juvie's as well. I was debating using 3 inch beacuase I dont need the extra wattage that the 11 inch uses and the 3 inch should provide them with an adaquate heat source....

Focal
12-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Cool gotcha. Melamine can definitely get heavy LOL.

Just an idea for my next rack... I plan on using 11" on the bottom and running a strip of 3" on the wall. That way at night I can cut the power to the 11" for a night time drop and still have the 3" running to maintain temps or for use with juvy tubs (set at a low temp of course). Probably a little over kill so I guess I'll see when it's time to order parts.

Matt2979
12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
LOL...melamine is definitely NOT light! I've got plans (if I can find them) for a 10-tub rack that utilizes CB-70 tubs. I believe those are 41 qt, but I'll have to double-check. The only problem is that it would not double for any other size tub(s). Rather than resting on the shelf below, the tubs ride on rails and expanded PVC acts as the lid to seal it up. I use 11" heat tape on mine for a bigger resting spot for my adults, but it can be heated with 3 or 4" with no problem (plans actually call for 3").

The frame is built using pine. Plans call for white pine which is cheaper, but I paid a little extra and used southern yellow because it's stronger. The best advice that I can give you, should you choose to use this design, is to build it as soon as you get and cut your wood. If not, pine will warp quickly, but should be fine if you screw it together before it has the chance to do so.

I have another rack that uses 3 different size tubs (1-CB 70, 3-15 qt, or 1-15 qt and 1 32 qt per shelf), but with that design you have to keep lids on the tubs. It was the cheapest that I've ever built, but I'll NEVER duplicate it, as lids can be a true pain in the butt!!

Good luck and let me know if you'd like pics and plans. (They're free, of course!! :thumbsup:)

Cp3_Pythons
12-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Now thats an interesting idea Nick... I may have to see if something like that may work for me... It would make me have to redesign a few things but sounds like a great idea Nick...

Cp3_Pythons
12-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Cool Deal Matt... I really want to get fancy with this rack as its going to be the one I duplicate down the line for adults and juvies. So i was thinking for ease of use leaving a
.5inch gap between the shelves and and adding rollers so the shelf will slide out.
You know how on some computer desks the keyboard sits in the shelf and can sliding in an out as needed? Something simular to that idea.... IDK though naturally I'd have to leave extra wire so that the connections on the FlexWatt stay secure and allow for the shelf to slide out.