PDA

View Full Version : Question about using racks.

darkbloodwyvern
12-26-2010, 03:17 AM
Do you feel like your snakes are ever cramped? Most of my snakes are usually happy to chill and I know BPs usually prefer floorspace over height in their cages. All the same, I feel a little guilty about thinking of getting some racks for my guys. They are in 30 gallon cages now and I have a few reasons to not like the current setup, but it does have plenty of room for them! I guess most of my snakes aren't terribly active, but I still feel a little bad downsizing them.

So, do you feel like your snakes mind the small space? Do they seem to prefer it? Or have you always had them in the same size? Just curious about opinions/personal observations!

Bob Kite
12-26-2010, 04:30 AM
I think that back in the day when I only had a snake or two as a pet, it really wasn't much of a problem using bigger cages, but now, with 100+ breeding snakes, it is far more economical to use racks, due to space issues among other things. My snakes thrive well in racks and personally I wouldn't have it any other way.

bad-one
12-26-2010, 04:56 AM
I think my snakes tend to feel far more secure since I've moved them into tubs, which I recently put into a rack. It also allows me to control their temps and humidity much better :)

darkbloodwyvern
12-26-2010, 05:04 AM
I think my snakes tend to feel far more secure since I've moved them into tubs, which I recently put into a rack. It also allows me to control their temps and humidity much better :)

I do like the idea of having a better handle on heat and humidity! And it's hard to put myself in the snakes place- I like my space, but I can see how empty space would be unnerving, so I guess tubs DO make sense. If I think of it like crate training a dog, it sounds better, ha ha! thanks for the input!

Matt2979
12-26-2010, 08:30 AM
When I only had a couple of BPs, I had mine in tanks. The first thought of moving a ball python from a 55-gallon tank into a cramped CB-70 tub seemed SO cruel and mean. But after doing some research, I realized that it would not only help me (especially when I started growing my collection), but it was much better for the animal. They are now much more secure in tighter surroundings (not cramped, as I was afraid they would be) and the uniform temps and humidity are SO much better for them.

Once you get a rack, you'll wonder why you didn't do so sooner. Besides, then you'll have plenty of room to quickly double your collection....a few times!!! :rofl:

snakesRkewl
12-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Same story here, more snakes means more tanks, yuk.
More snakes turned into learning how to use tubs on shelves and also getting a nice melamine rack for hold overs and younger snakes.
I breed in 40qt tubs on flexwatt on melamine shelves, works awesome really, I love being able to see in the tubs and catch lock ups without opening a drawer or lifting a lid.

Balls Deep Reptiles
12-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Once you get a rack, you'll wonder why you didn't do so sooner. Besides, then you'll have plenty of room to quickly double your collection....a few times!!! :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Yeh it's funny how after buying 1 rack your snakes start to multiply and all of a sudden the racks start to multiply and before you know it your up to your eye balls in balls!!!!!!!:rofl:

snakesRkewl
12-26-2010, 10:14 PM
lol Joe

darkbloodwyvern
12-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeh it's funny how after buying 1 rack your snakes start to multiply and all of a sudden the racks start to multiply and before you know it your up to your eye balls in balls!!!!!!!:rofl:

Oh no! Ha ha... that's dangerous, hee hee, but I think I can manage to control myself, at least for awhile...:reddevil:

rcpreis3
12-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Once you get a rack, you'll wonder why you didn't do so sooner. Besides, then you'll have plenty of room to quickly double your collection....a few times!!! :rofl:

Yeh it's funny how after buying 1 rack your snakes start to multiply and all of a sudden the racks start to multiply and before you know it your up to your eye balls in balls!!!!!!!:rofl:[/QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Bob O'Brien
12-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Oh no! Ha ha... that's dangerous, hee hee, but I think I can manage to control myself, at least for awhile...:reddevil:

Yeah Im sure you could:no01:.... dont count on it thats what we all thought:rofl:

Go with a rack you wont regret it.

Matt2979
12-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Yeah Im sure you could:no01:.... dont count on it thats what we all thought:rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I STILL try to convince myself that I "have it under control"....even though I buy my animals in GROUPS these days!! :D

Bob O'Brien
12-27-2010, 12:03 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I STILL try to convince myself that I "have it under control"....even though I buy my animals in GROUPS these days!! :D

I hear ya, but buying in groups is the best ways to get deals (at least thats how I make sense of it in my head:rofl:)

Balls Deep Reptiles
12-27-2010, 02:32 PM
I hear ya, but buying in groups is the best ways to get deals (at least thats how I make sense of it in my head:rofl:)

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Another good one is to tell yourself that "there is worse things I could be doing with my money" :?party:

snowgyre
12-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Just out of curiosity, do people prefer using 32 qt or 41 qt tubs for adult balls? My adult balls seem to have plenty of space in the Sterilite 32 qts, but none of my girls are over 2000 grams yet. I'm thinking about getting a rack and the 32 qt racks are nice because you can get racks that can switch between 1 32 qt or 2 12 qt tubs per row, which is ideal for me since I have leos and baby balls too.

Bob O'Brien
12-27-2010, 03:09 PM
:iagree: Thats a good one Joe I have had to use it once or twice.:rofl:

Matt2979
12-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, do people prefer using 32 qt or 41 qt tubs for adult balls? My adult balls seem to have plenty of space in the Sterilite 32 qts, but none of my girls are over 2000 grams yet. I'm thinking about getting a rack and the 32 qt racks are nice because you can get racks that can switch between 1 32 qt or 2 12 qt tubs per row, which is ideal for me since I have leos and baby balls too.

I prefer my CB-70 tubs, which I believe are 41 qt (if not, very close) for any BP over about 1500 grams. This isn't a religious number, but if my ball starts seeming cramped in the 32, I move it to a CB-70. Those nice big, long tubs are great for breeding in, too.

I think the interchangeable rack that you mentioned is like one of my AP's, where I can use a 32 qt sideways, or (2) 15 qt side by side. But I HATE the 15 qt tubs. I just can't find a way to keep them from tipping the water bowl over in those!

The best way that I've been shown is to start them off in a Vision tub. I can't tell you what size it is, but it's almost identical in height and width, but it's 150% the length, of a 6 qt (shoebox) tub. These seem to be large enough that I can keep them in it until they're ready for the 32 qt.

darkbloodwyvern
12-28-2010, 12:12 AM
Another good one is to tell yourself that "there is worse things I could be doing with my money"

XD lol!! I tell myself this about SO many things... $300 worth of art supplies? $200 for a halloween costume? $800 for a snake?

At least it's not drugs, right? :D:D:D:dgrin:

bradleymoore
12-28-2010, 12:58 PM

i've got a 3300g female in a 32qt. i definitely need a 41qt rack. :rofl: i pretty much play it like this: 0-1000 in 15qt, 1000-2000 in 32qt, and 2000+ in 41qt.
well, that's how it will be once i get a 41qt rack anyways. :D for some reason, i keep buying more snakes when i should be buying another rack or two... so they sit in tubs on top of the rack.

Balls Deep Reptiles
12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
i've got a 3300g female in a 32qt. i definitely need a 41qt rack. :rofl: i pretty much play it like this: 0-1000 in 15qt, 1000-2000 in 32qt, and 2000+ in 41qt.
well, that's how it will be once i get a 41qt rack anyways. :D for some reason, i keep buying more snakes when i should be buying another rack or two... so they sit in tubs on top of the rack.

Yeh I feel your pain! I've been eyeing the ARS 30 tub rack with the built in water bowls, Sweeeeet! But I just keep buying more snakes, maybe if my snakes start breeding and producing babies I'll make the leap?

rcpreis3
12-29-2010, 01:25 AM
To be honest I dont like the tubs with the built in bowls, the bowls never seem large enough for them to soak in. I keep my youngins in 12qt sterilites and then when they start to tip that dish I switch them to my 41 qt rack, but none of my 400+ gram balls will last in a 12qt for long. im aboutto go a bunch of steriites and buile me quite a few racks, I just need to make sure im gonna be into breeding as serious as I want. Honestly the best way is to build ur own rack. Its cheaper after u add on the shipping charges.

rcpreis3
12-29-2010, 01:26 AM
w0000w I cant type tonite, im going to bed, sorry for the typos. :D

Balls Deep Reptiles
12-29-2010, 08:55 PM
To be honest I dont like the tubs with the built in bowls, the bowls never seem large enough for them to soak in. I keep my youngins in 12qt sterilites and then when they start to tip that dish I switch them to my 41 qt rack, but none of my 400+ gram balls will last in a 12qt for long. im aboutto go a bunch of steriites and buile me quite a few racks, I just need to make sure im gonna be into breeding as serious as I want. Honestly the best way is to build ur own rack. Its cheaper after u add on the shipping charges.

I only have a few that will soak. What do you use for water bowls? I have been using 4"PVC Caps but some spill there water constantly. I wanted to try the 4" PVC couplings but I thought they would be too high in the 32qt tubs? If I have a good year then I may invest in a ARS rack, Love the quality!

Matt2979
12-29-2010, 09:33 PM
I've been searching for heavier water bowls that will not allow tipping, but won't empty my wallet, either. I failed to find that combination. This is what I did find:

These are too big for anything smaller than a 32 qt tub, but Ziploc 76 oz "Fresh Shield" containers are awesome in 32qt tubs and the CB-70's. Obviously they're not heavy, but if you only fill them to the bottom line, no water will spill out, as they are too tall to tip all the way over in the closed tub. And, at only $2.99 (give or take a few cents, depending on where you find them) for a 2-pack, even a big collection can be fully funded without putting much of a dent in your wallet.

Balls Deep Reptiles
12-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the tip Matt I will check them out!

Abby
12-31-2010, 07:06 AM
I have several different size racks now, and I couldn't be happier with them. I've been using various caging over the years and racks beat them all. The snakes aren't cramped, my rule of thumb is basically...

6qt Sterilite: hatchling-350 grams
15qt Sterilite: 350-750g
28-32qt Sterilite: 750-1800g
41qt: 1800+

All breeding females are in 41qts at the moment regardless of size.

I built my hatchling rack, and I have a Nature's Spirit rack, Reptile Basics rack and 2 Animal Plastics rack. I LOVE my AP's the most. They look good, the tubs slide out with ease and the price can't be beat as far as commercial racks go.

I highly recommend getting some racks though, you will more than likely see a lot of positives once you switch from tanks. My animals eat better, breed better and seem to feel safer in their racks. Not to mention the saved space and ease of controlling the heat/humidity too.

darkbloodwyvern
01-02-2011, 12:53 AM
I built my hatchling rack, and I have a Nature's Spirit rack, Reptile Basics rack and 2 Animal Plastics rack. I LOVE my AP's the most. They look good, the tubs slide out with ease and the price can't be beat as far as commercial racks go.

I highly recommend getting some racks though, you will more than likely see a lot of positives once you switch from tanks. My animals eat better, breed better and seem to feel safer in their racks. Not to mention the saved space and ease of controlling the heat/humidity too.
Thanks! That's awesome to hear. I'll check out the other websites for racks. I'm ok building my own hatchling rack, but for the adults I want something a little nicer. I feel like making them more secure would be wonderful! I seem to never be happy with any of the hides in my display cages...