PDA

View Full Version : Popular miniature horse has a big fan club

SamanthaJane13
02-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Smidgy, arguably the best-known miniature horse in Western New York, is taking a rest, but his devoted owner wants people to know that he is safe, healthy and happy.

The jet-black 22-year-old horse was a fixture at Knox Farm State Park for five years. During that time, with owner Susan Collins close by, Smidgy was walked, petted, brushed and gently handled by thousands of people, including children and visitors with physical or mental challenges.

When Knox Farm officially closed in January, other animals in the park's program, including 12 sheep, four goats and a llama, were given to the SPCA Serving Erie County to be adopted.

But Smidgy, who has belonged to Collins since he was a yearling, has moved into a barn not far from Collins' East Aurora home, and she sees and works with him daily.

The Knox Farm farm tour was able to use Smidgy so extensively because he was owned and insured by Collins, a volunteer who stood close by as her horse interacted with visitors. "We had students come out and learn equine care, we had special-needs groups and people from group homes come in and brush him or walk him, learn a little bit about the care of horses, what they eat and how you keep them clean," Collins says. Smidgy would stand patiently while visitors lifted his hooves to brush them clean or listen to his heart with a stethoscope.

Smidgy also enjoyed meeting dogs that visited the park, and acted as an ambassador for his breed with some skittish canines. "It's an equestrian park, and a lot of dogs are frightened of horses," says Collins. "I would let people bring their dogs in and sniff him and we would walk in the park with people and dogs that were frightened by the smell and sound of horses. The dogs would get acclimated to what horses are."

But Smidgy "really shined with adults or children with mental special needs," says Collins. "Some of these visitors don't always follow rules [for interacting with a horse]. You could see him change and just let them do whatever they were going to do."

Smidgy has a big formal name -- Little Queens Midnight Star -- but when Collins met him as a yearling in the late 1980s, he already had his nickname. "I think it was because he was so tiny and they would say he was just a smidgen of a horse," she says.

Collins was living in Amherst and riding her full-sized mare at a stable there when a friend of hers became interested in carriage driving with miniature horses. "Smidgy was a colt who came into the facility, and I just fell in love with him," Collins says. "A couple of us who rode there each bought one, and I bought Smidgy. He was so cute, he reminded me of one of those toy animals you used to wind up with a key."

Miniature horses are not ponies but real horses bred down from their taller ancestors. Smidgy, who stands 34 inches at the top of his shoulder, has just one white mark on his forehead, and is "very proportionately correct," says his fond owner.

First, Collins harnessed Smidgy to a two-wheeled cart and she and Smidgy "learned about driving together," she says. Although she didn't get involved in showing him, a friend's daughter took him to the New York State Fair in 1995, where he won the reserve grand champion title.

That year, Collins and her friends "started taking the minis to day care centers and facilities for special-needs people. Smidgy did really well with letting the people pet him, he was even fine with wheelchairs. His temperament is excellent."

After moving to East Aurora in 1999, Collins became involved with the Lothlorien Therapeutic Riding Center and the East Aurora Driving Society. Around 2006, she began volunteering with Knox Park, and Smidgy went to live in the historic red barn there, along with a full-size Arab horse named Regal. Collins worked with the state office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation at Woodlawn Beach State Park to develop farm tour programs, and Smidgy, with his appealing size and calm nature, became a highlight of the tour.

Smidgy also became a bit of a mascot for the park, appearing with 12 painted life-sized horses in a poster for the "Trot to Knox" fund-raiser a few years ago. Collins brought him to the East Aurora ToyFest parade for several years, and he marched with a bright red, white and blue scarf around his neck. "We'd go up and down the street and let people pet him," says Collins.

And for several years, Smidgy, pulling his two-wheeled, Amish-made Meadowbrook cart, brought up the rear of the annual East Aurora Carriage Drive through the village. "It was cute," says Collins. "His little feet would have to go real fast to keep up with the big horses, so he would do what's called an extended trot. People would be out in their driveways and would always clap for us."

When Knox Farm closed, a frequent park visitor suggested Collins stable Smidgy at her nearby barn. It was ideal, Collins says. "I like to take care of him, and it's just five minutes from me."

But concerned people who spotted Collins around town have been asking about Smidgy, concerned that he is homeless.

In fact, Smidgy has started a new phase of his career, as a riding horse. Collins has a 3-year-old granddaughter who "absolutely loves" him, "So I decided to try something new that he's never done before," she says. "I got a little saddle, we put it on him and he didn't buck, although he'd never been ridden. We put my granddaughter on him and I told him, 'Now Smidgy, you just have to walk on,' and he gives her rides."

As spring approaches, Collins says, "I'm holding my breath hoping that the Friends of Knox Park will be able to get the park back open. Knox Park is an absolutely beautiful place, and I enjoyed working with the children and the people with special needs. Those five years were a true blessing for me and for Smidgy. I would be ready to volunteer again."

For the time being, though, she says, "I am taking a breather from all the work we did through the years. I think both of us are enjoying the rest time."

http://www.buffalonews.com/life/article337002.ece