PDA

View Full Version : How long...

Miss Tuniwha
05-03-2011, 10:15 PM
How long is a "safe" time for a ball (or snakes in general for that matter) to be without water..

The reason I ask, is because I will be leaving town for 2 weeks.. I have no "reptile" friends nearby.. in fact, the closest lives over an hour away.

My adults don't often tip their dishes.. but the babies.. do..

So I am not sure what to do. I fear no matter what, I will have to have someone spend 2 hours drive time just to water my snakes, and check for eggs.

Yes, someone will be by every few days to check on the cat and birds, and she will feed the dragon etc.. but she won't even open the snake tubs.. so all she can do is let me know if she can clearly see eggs. (then my friend WILL drive the hour.. he is already aware of that possibility)

Any thoughts?

KY Reptiles
05-03-2011, 10:46 PM
The longest I've allowed a snake to go with out water in with them is a couple of days, that's because she wouldn't stop spilling it and I had to get a ceramic bowl for her. For two weeks.... I don't know :/

I suppose if your buddy drove halfway through your trip to go check on them they should be fine. But then we run into the problem of eggs. What if a female lays the night you leave, yea someone can tell you eggs are there but she won't put them in the incubator... So you take a chance of the eggs being with mom for a week or whatever. How many times is the buddy that's an hour away willing to make the drive in the 2 week span.

I wouldn't chance it at all if it were me. So many things could go wrong while your gone.

Matt2979
05-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Sounds like your adults will be fine. I'm assuming they have pretty big bowls, but they can also go longer without water (probably about a week before it starts getting dangerous). I'd be scared to let the hatchlings go more than a few days, as their little bodies can dehydrate faster. Not to mention that if they tip their bowls, they'll be in wet mess long enough to cause them other problems.

If the babies are still in 6 qt tubs, use deli cups. Mine cannot tip deli cups very far before the top of the rack stops them. A full deli cup should last them for most of that time.

Miss Tuniwha
05-05-2011, 12:08 AM
well the young ones are between 250 and 300 grams.. I just upgraded their tubs, and scrounged up a few ceramics.

not risking it aka not leaving them home alone is not an option. in about 4 years I will be moving closer to the cities, so that will help.. but I am not going to never go on vacation because of a possibility of losing eggs.. it would suck.. but so be it.

my sister in law will probably come 2 times a week.. since I have a cat and 2 birds that will need fresh food and water etc.

I am just a worrier .. *sigh*..

redhood23
05-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Do you have deli cups? If not use a smaller bowl, and put it in a bigger bowl. it will help prevent spillage.

redhood23
05-05-2011, 09:45 PM
That is what i do with my babies.

edf01
05-05-2011, 09:49 PM
I went for vacation for a week. I filled water bowls. SOme snakes tipped them, and must have done it a few days after i felt b/c water bowls were sideways and completly dry. I saw no ill effects.

I cant answer your question, but I know I went away a week and the snakes were ok.

best wishes!

Janet

Focal
05-06-2011, 08:33 AM
If I had to, I would try to put a rat water bottle in there :shrug01: If they are smart enough and determined enough, I think they can figure it out.

jack2682
05-06-2011, 03:43 PM
You have to check out J. Kobylka's youtube Pro-tip videos...he has a great tip-over proof method of watering his snakes...
It would require a trip to home depot, but easily worth it when it comes to peace of mind when leaving your animals!
:)

Miss Tuniwha
05-06-2011, 07:47 PM
I think I am just going to get my hands on some ceramic dishes.. I got a few, and am testing out how long they stay upright. lol.

redhood23
05-06-2011, 08:11 PM
If you get the ceramic dishes, put them in bigger dishes. makes it so if they do spill or overflow when bathing the water will get trapped in the outer bowl and will not get wasted or spill on the bedding.