PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Reptile Rescue is bad news

liegekiller
10-28-2003, 12:45 PM
I have never even heard of such a bad rescue center as Colorado Reptile Rescue. I would just like to say if you don't have to deal with them then don't. I will leave it at that unless you need to know why but believe me when I tell you that I am not the only one that thinks this. There are other people that have quit volunteering with them because of their practices.

Russel Reiter
Colorado Springs, CO.

jenn_jeffery
10-28-2003, 01:23 PM
If you're going to post on the BOI, then you MUST post proof, not just accusations, or a "don't deal with them" type message. People can't make an educated decision without proof and more info.

Suncoast Herpetological
10-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Jenn is right. Without details this thread doesn't have much of a life expectancy.

WebSlave
10-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Actually people can post broad generic messages such as this here. It's just that without details, most people will not believe what is being said, and often the person posting such a thread will wind up on the defensive.

Details are requested, not proof. If you feel the need to prove your details, well that is fine, but not mandatory. Verifiable details (facts) will go a long way in establishing your own credibility here.

Mark and Aimee
10-28-2003, 02:01 PM
Colorado Reptile Rescue is a great organization, housing more green iguanas than any other rescue in the nation.

Their services to the reptile community are obviously needed. It's a shame, but I am glad there are good people out there willing to step up to the plate.

They are thorough with their adoption applications, and honestly concerned with putting animals in good permanent homes.

Quite frankly, I can't see anything bad about any of this.

ScottsReptiles
10-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by liegekiller
I have never even heard of such a bad rescue center as Colorado Reptile Rescue. I would just like to say if you don't have to deal with them then don't. I will leave it at that unless you need to know why but believe me when I tell you that I am not the only one that thinks this. There are other people that have quit volunteering with them because of their practices.

Russel Reiter
Colorado Springs, CO.

It would be appreciated if you post the reason for such a hostile post.

Dennis Gulla
10-28-2003, 04:47 PM
"I have never heard of such a bad rescue center as Colorado Reptile Rescue."

This statement leads me to believe that you did not get this information first hand, but rather "heard" it from another source. Please clarify.

Jan Orcutt
10-28-2003, 09:33 PM
I've adopted several box turtles from CORR, and two of my friends also adopted multiple box turtles from them. All of us were very happy with the healthy animals we received. I've read CORR's posts on a couple of other lists where we're both members and I have nothing but respect for what they do and their knowledge of herps.

GinoInDaBronx
10-28-2003, 10:37 PM
You know, this guy's bitter and unsubstantiated claims do
not strike me as odd at all. He sounds just like a guy who
applied for some animal there and was denied. This is
his petty way of trying to get back at them.

Sincerely,

Gino 'In Da Bronx' Beniquez

BrianB
10-28-2003, 10:51 PM
I will leave it at that unless you need to know why

We need to know why.

Mark and Aimee
10-28-2003, 11:32 PM
We need to know why.

Actually, I don't think we even need to know why. This thread needs to just fade away...

Mark and Aimee
10-28-2003, 11:35 PM
For those who wish to draw their own conclusions, here is a link to Colorado Reptile Rescue's website:

Colorado Reptile Rescue (http://www.coloradoreptilerescue.org)

colubridman88
10-29-2003, 01:25 AM
The guys over at CORR do a great job. They take in as many animals as they can,when they can. What practices would you be refering to? I stand by those guys, they do what NO ONE else in CO will do. Sounds like somebody is a little bitter.

Jesse Smith
Colorado Colubrids
And a supporter of anyone with the heart to care for unwanted reptiles.

pituophissayi
10-29-2003, 01:44 AM
Ok, this guy seems very... hostile and personally i have to say that my experiences with CORR has been nothing but good. ALL their animals are quarentined and are very healthy i handled a burm from them a while ago and she was wonderful, she was one of the best burms i have ever handled. I have attempted to work up there but because insurance won't cover me i can't. i think that anyone who has adopted an animal from them will agree when i say that they truly care. They are wonderful people with a ton of experience who are very considerate, they have been nothing but good to me and as soon as they're insurance will cover me i will be volunteering up there. I hope that you will have as good of an experience with them as i have had if you decide to try them out. i honestly think that this guy just got denied an adoption, is resentful, and decided to "get even" by saying that they are bad people...

Zack Lujan.

BrianB
10-29-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Mark and Aimee
Actually, I don't think we even need to know why. This thread needs to just fade away...

Nah, leave it up. Says something about the originator, and says lots of good things about the rescue. Still serves a purpose.

liegekiller
10-29-2003, 09:19 AM
Ok I understand that without any explaination that you have to come to your own conclusions and I appologize for that. I will tell you all what exactly the problem is with them. Most of it derives from the way they run their business and the policies. First of all I would like to say that Mark and Aimee know me. Now to the issue at hand.
I did apply to adopt with them and after months of waiting and talking through emails I was granted approval. here is the email that I recieved:

Hi Russel-
Well, you sound like you're ready to take home Hillary - would you
like to come up and get him this weekend? We also have a couple boas here
that you can take a look at - I don't know when Shawna will be able to hand
over Baby right now - she recently had a death in her family, and is
basically offline right now.

Let me know what you think, and I can send you directions to our house in
Longmont and we can schedule you an appointment.

Just fed Hillary a large rabbit today - he's still looking for another one
for dessert!

Then for 2 weeks I was trying to schedule with them to pick up the snake that I was adopting. Then one day I get an email that says :

Based on speaking with references since we last wrote, we do not feel you
will make an appropriate home for animals from Colorado Reptile Rescue.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and wish you luck with
your present pets.

Regards,

Ann-Elizabeth Nash

Now you say that I am bitter and with out knowing me then say what you want as that is your opinion. however here are the facts and then you figure your own opinion. First of all they never contacted anyone. I am an expirienced snake owner and cage builder and told them of the cages that I have built and that if they need any to let me know and I will build them at no charge for them. Just cost of materials. I also tried to volunteer but never heard anything from them. I met a couple of the people that here in Colorado Springs and they all seemed very nice and sincere but I am not sure that is untirely true. Also no one came by my house to look at the snakes I have now or to look at the housing that I have the snake I was adopting. I emailed them and asked them for some kind of expaination but they would not or at least have not returned my emails. Those of you that have had good experiences I am happy for but if they for some reason have denied me then there is something seriously wrong. Know one would give a better home or more affection then I can give. Those of you who don't know me I can not help you to understand but if you still think I am just being bitter then tell me. Maybe I am just blowing this way out of proportion but you tell me if that is right for them to do what they did to me.

Mark and Aimee, You can talk to me later if you want and tell me what the deal is. You guys know that I would make a great home though. The reason you are sticking up for them is because they are friends of yours and I am sorry if I have upset you with telling them off.

Russel Reiter
Colorado Springs, CO
(719) 205-6610

Feel free to call me if you want :)

Dennis Gulla
10-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Well, it's obvious now that you made this post because you were bitter. And you may have a right to be. I'm sure you were disappointed when you received that e-mail informing you that they had changed their mind. I think that they could have gone into a little more detail as to why you were turned down, but that is their choice.

Maybe you should have waited until you had the chance to speak with Mark & Aimee about why you were rejected before you made this post. Just because you were turned down does not necessarily mean that they have poor business practices.

liegekiller
10-29-2003, 10:06 AM
ok so you think that them turning down someone without any basis is ok? That is ok to run a RESCUE center that way? If it were a business then they have every right to do so, but running a rescue center the primary goal to is get animals to good homes and they obciously NOT doing that. Mark and Aimee don't even work with Colorado Reptile rescue anymore and I talked to them when I was trying to get this adoption resolved. Aimee seemed to be simpathetic and said that is why she doesn't work with anymore. I also know of some other people that don't work with them anymore because of similar practices causing animals to die or not be placed. I will tell you this much, if I am bitter about the adoption process it isn't because I didn't get the animal it is because they didn't place an animal in a known good home because they didn't feel like it. I am bothered by the fact that have 100's of snakes and only show about 20 on their website. I am not bitter or upset that I didn't get the snake. I was merely trying to help out a reptile in need and had the room and love to do so.

Russel Reiter
Colorado Springs, CO.

Mark and Aimee
10-29-2003, 10:52 AM
I would like to say that Mark and Aimee know me.

I've met you once. For two minutes. I'd hardly say I KNOW you. I think you've met my wife exactly one more time than you've met me.

Based on speaking with references since we last wrote, we do not feel you will make an appropriate home for animals from Colorado Reptile Rescue.

Maybe you should reconsider your references.

Mark and Aimee, You can talk to me later if you want and tell me what the deal is.

I'm sorry, there isn't much I can tell you. If you are looking for answers, you'd have better luck asking someone who is associated with Colorado Reptile Rescue, rather than someone who has simply adopted a few animals from them.

Maybe you should have waited until you had the chance to speak with Mark & Aimee about why you were rejected before you made this post.

I do not see how this could possibly help him. We are Colorado Reptile Rescue past adopters. We are not Colorado Reptile Rescue. There is no way there could possibly be any confusion on this.

ok so you think that them turning down someone without any basis is ok? That is ok to run a RESCUE center that way?

Maybe I am wrong here, but I believe the message YOU posted from Ann-Elizabeth Nash said "Based on speaking with references since we last wrote". Sounds like it was based on SOMETHING...

If it were a business then they have every right to do so, but running a rescue center the primary goal to is get animals to good homes and they obciously NOT doing that.

They are a private non-profit organization - which gives them every right to say no to anyone for any reason. They do not have to give you reason. What exactly DO you think their primary goal is - if it isn't to find good homes for animals?

Mark and Aimee don't even work with Colorado Reptile rescue anymore and I talked to them when I was trying to get this adoption resolved.

You never spoke to me about any adoptions... I don't know why you would. I don't work with Colorado Reptile Rescue, as you stated. You may have mentioned it to my wife - but I don't know how she could help you either.

Aimee seemed to be simpathetic and said that is why she doesn't work with anymore.

What does this mean? My wife does not work with Colorado Reptile Rescue anymore because she was sympathetic? Now I'm lost.

Let's try to stick to the facts here... With all this side-stepping, I feel like dancing :-)

liegekiller
10-29-2003, 10:58 AM
As I told you before they said due to references ,BUT they didn't really contact ANYONE...... Why don't read the whole thing. I know your wife more so then you so that is true.

Russel Reiter

Dennis Gulla
10-29-2003, 11:01 AM
After reading his second post, I assumed that he had some type of relationship with you and Aimee be that friends and or business.

"Aimee seemed to be sypathetic and said that is why she doesn't work with anymore."

I believe he was trying to say that Aimee was sypathetic to the fact that he was upset that he had been turned down for adoption.

liegekiller
10-29-2003, 11:26 AM
you assume wrongly. I was talking to her about the process and that they were asking the same questions several times in emails and I didn't seem to be getting anywhere with the adoption. Yes I know Aimee and she knows me. Mark I don't know much and only talked to once. I am good friends with Ron at gator gardens and he can also tell you that I am a good reptile owner and would make a great home for them. I really don't want to give you all the wrong idea about me so I am done with this post for now. I appologize if I have upset anyone and I think that maybe if there are that many people out there that like them that I might have the wrong idea about Colorado Reptile Rescue. They did treat me wrong in denying me without doing any research and for that I don't understand but I will send them another email and see what I information that I can get from them. In the way that I was treated I assumed that there were many people out there that may have been treated the same way. You shouldn't assume anything and I did.. bad me... Just talk to me though and you will see that I am a really nice person and maybe I can get this cleared up as something else. Thanks

Russel Reiter

morphrancher
10-29-2003, 11:59 AM
I don't personally know anyone associate with CoRR but here is my experience:

In April I visited their site and filled out the online application and sent them the required $10 application fee through PayPal.

1. I never heard back via email. Not even an aknowledgement of application or payment received.

2. They were at our small local show in June and I mentioned my application andpayment. I was told they probably did not have the type of animals I was willing to adopt and I would hear from them when they were available.

3. I saw them again in September at the local fall show. Same answer to my question.

I know they are a volunteer organization and I fully respect that. I do volunteer work as well and understand about time commitments, organization, etc.

They do a great service in our community and I respect that as well. I believe the green iguana situation is truly tragic and it's great that someone steps forward to help deal with these animals.

However, I do not feel it is appropirate to take a non-refundable "application fee" and then fail to act on it. I have no problem making a donation to CoRR. It's not about the money. I have dealt with other animal rescues and have been ignored by them as well, so in my experience it's common.

I don't feel it's accurate to describe them as "bad news" but with them, as well as some of the other rescues I've dealt with, it would be nice to see placement of animals become an important aspect of their function.

Alex Tanner

colubridman88
10-29-2003, 12:14 PM
FIRST OFF, As mark already stated. THEY ARE NOT A BUISNESS. OK. You cant report them to the BBB, nor do they make any money. So think about things before you type them.

Second, it sounds like your references know something about your husbandry that we dont. If your references wont even vouch for your knowledge and husbandry skills, then who else do you have to prove that you are a knowledgeable and a good keeper, maybe you arent. Maybe they know something we don't.

What did you mean by "didn't REALLY contact any of them". Did they or did they not???!!!????!!

They have every right to shut your application down. Especially if they contacted one of you Refs. and they said something that made them think twice about letting you adopt. You are bitter, acceptance is the first step to recovery, stop the denial. Just leave CoRR alone. They do good work. I'd like to see you take care of 100 green Iguanas. and 35 large constrictors. I personally dont know how they do it .

Jesse Smith
Colorado Colubrids
Still supporting people who care for unwanted reptiles, even if they were to deny my aplication.

Dennis Gulla
10-29-2003, 12:20 PM
Hmmmmm......Hundreds of iguanas.......Thirty five Boa Constrictors? Is there anyone here (besides Mark & Aimee) who has been aproved to adopt something from this rescue?

liegekiller
10-29-2003, 12:24 PM
I will say this one more time..... NO ONE CONTACTED ANY REFERENCES...... That means they talked to no one about me. They don't know me and they don't know if I am a good reptile owner or not. This is why there is a problem. They did nothing to find out. They said yes then they said no and they have NO information to be able to say weather or not I am a good owner or not. I hope this is clear enough for you this time.

*****NOTE******
It appears to some that they take the application fee and run
*****NOTE******

I am not saying they did this I am only telling you what others have said also. Just read the facts and go with it....

colubridman88
10-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Well, your grammar improved a little. I don't think they would just do that. I think i am going to call CoRR today and alert them of the thread. See what they have to say. I am sure they will shed some light on why they denied you. We will see what you have to say then.
Jesse Smith
Colorado Colubrids

liegekiller
10-29-2003, 12:54 PM
I appreciate that. I look forward to seeing if you might be able to find out.

Dennis Gulla
10-29-2003, 12:55 PM
Yes, please contact them or send them a link to this thread. I would like to hear what they have to say as well.

Mark and Aimee
10-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Thirty five Boa Constrictors?

I just went to the web site. I counted FOUR boa constrictors available for adoption. In fact - here's the entire snake count.

9 Burmese Pythons
4 Boa Constrictors
4 Ball Pythons
2 Radiated Rat Snakes
2 Blue Beauties

21 Snakes total. I do not know where you are seeing 35 adoptable boas.

NO ONE CONTACTED ANY REFERENCES......

If this is your point - some proof would be good. Completely non reptile related, but in the business world (pertaining to employment applications), references and their comments are confidential. No one has to tell you what your references said.

Yes, please contact them or send them a link to this thread.

I believe they are aware of this thread. Please place ~125 iguanas in your home, and then reply to this thread when they are all fed and cleaned up after. Then medicate half of them (since even half is a conservative number when talking about rescued iguanas). Do you still have an abundance of time to play on the internet, process each and every application within hours of reciept, and send emails to every single person who's iguana is sick? Probably not.

It appears to some that they take the application fee and run

This is yet another statement with no factual evidence backing it up.

I am sure they will shed some light on why they denied you. We will see what you have to say then.

Well - honestly, a respectable organization probably will not share this kind of information.

Mark and Aimee
10-29-2003, 01:52 PM
There are other people that have quit volunteering with them because of their practices.

I do not volunteer with CoRR because they have a no breeding clause. It is not because I think that they are dishonest (they are very honest) nor is it because sometimes communiation lines get crossed. When it is an all volunteer organization and run out of their home and the homes of volunteers, its is bound to happen. But, I do know that they do their best when communication lines get crossed to make it right.

Yes, Russell, I was symathetic to recieving the same e-mail over and over again. And, I told you what I would do.

Yes I know Aimee and she knows me.

Mark and Aimee, You can talk to me later if you want and tell me what the deal is. You guys know that I would make a great home though. The reason you are sticking up for them is because they are friends of yours and I am sorry if I have upset you with telling them off.

However, as far as knowing you. I have met you 3 times that I can recall. Two were at Ron's shop, one at the herp show. To me, that means I know who you are, and that is all. I can not say you are a good owner or if you have the cage space. I have never seen how you house your animals.

Hmmmmm......Hundreds of iguanas.......Thirty five Boa Constrictors? Is there anyone here (besides Mark & Aimee) who has been aproved to adopt something from this rescue?

I've adopted several box turtles from CORR, and two of my friends also adopted multiple box turtles from them. All of us were very happy with the healthy animals we received. I've read CORR's posts on a couple of other lists where we're both members and I have nothing but respect for what they do and their knowledge of herps.

This is from Jan Orcutt and is on the first page of this thread. I know Scott and Liz Colleen have also adopted from them. Scott frequents this area. When I was activly volunteering, I helped place MANY animals (mostly green Igs and ball pythons). My first foster snake was placed through an adoption event, I helped follow the paper trail and STILL see her new family regularly. If you look to their web, they list the most recent adoptions and to what part of the nation they were adopted to.

NO ONE CONTACTED ANY REFERENCES...... That means they talked to no one about me. They don't know me and they don't know if I am a good reptile owner or not.

Are you sure? I, in the past, have contacted many ref. Did you check with everyone you listed and ask?

I think i am going to call CoRR today and alert them of the thread. See what they have to say. I am sure they will shed some light on why they denied you. We will see what you have to say then.

Ref and aplication/adoption processes are strictly confidential. I know that Ae is aware of this thread.

Aimee Berger

Mark and Aimee
10-29-2003, 01:54 PM
I know your wife more so then you so that is true.

Are you attempting to say you know my wife better than I do? Man... THAT'S a bold statement!

ms_terese
10-29-2003, 02:25 PM
I think he meant he knows your wife better than he knows you, Mark. LOL

morphrancher
10-29-2003, 02:30 PM
I have found my email dealing my application to CoRR. Please note that I was incorrect in my previous post about email contact. I did initiate contact on April 22 and I did receive a response.

Please note that the initial application took place on March 25th, 2003

Subject: Receipt for your Payment
Date: March 25, 2003 2:55:31 PM MST
To: sales@avantha.com

This email confirms that you sent $10.00 to corr@peakpeak.com.

------------------------------
Payment Details
------------------------------

Amount: $10.00
Transaction ID: 8VK76473U24440410
Subject: Adoption Application Fee

Subject: Re: CORR: Adoption Application from the web
Date: April 22, 2003 10:24:49 PM MDT
To: Alex Tanner

I submitted this application along with the $10 fee through PayPal on the 25th of March and I have not received any sort of reply. Has there been some sort of problem?

Hi Alex - I suppose you never received my previous email? In any case, I have pre-qualified you for a ball python - right now, there aren't any available - we've had a recent run over the last two months, and yes, we need to remove them from the website.

However, they come in regularly enough that we should be able to adopt a healthy one to you sometime in the near future.

I do keep a list of my prequalified applicants, and will contact you when a Ball python becomes available. But please feel free to email me if you'd like to touch base, or have any questions.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Jonathan Scupin
Associate Director
Colorado Reptile Rescue
www.coloradoreptilerescue.org

I'm not arguing on anyones side here. I am just pointing out that beyond my initiating contact, they have never gotten back with me. These are facts. Not opinions.

My opinion: Like I noted in my previous post, I have run into similar issues with other rescue organizations. I just think it would be in the animals best interest if more effort was put into actually placing the rescued animals.

Alex Tanner

liegekiller
10-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Mark you are talking in code here. First of all they ask for references when you fill out the application form. Do you think that maybe I talk to these guys? Second they said that would also visit my home to see that I would provide a good home and care. This was not done. Third, they denied me based some kind of reference. If that is true then what reference is this? I don't expect them to tell me who but I do trust my friends and if they were called they would tell me. I talked to Ron at Gator Gardens and he and Tyla said they never talk to them. I talked to my other references and they said no one called them either. If you are going to take quotes try and give the whole truth. I am not coating anything here. Everything that I have said is not only true but I also added as much information as possible on the subject. You ask me a question and I will give you the truth. You being a friend of theirs is a biased opinion and it is showing in the criptic way that you are posting. Rather then take quotes partial quotes how about you give us all the information. I do not want to smear anyone here and the buttom line with this post is ALL BEWARE. If you try to do business with them and get burned I am telling you that you have been warned. Take the risk if you want it is your choice. Colorado Reptile Rescue is in need of help so please do help if you can. Volunteer work is fun and rewarding. So Mark if you would like to give an intelligent paragraph or so please do.

Zoo Supply
10-29-2003, 03:10 PM
Well, I gotta say, that if someone asks to have me as their reference I wont turn them down, but if I feel that I cannot provide a good reference I won't. I also will not be telling that person that someone called if I gave them a bad reference to avoid a conflict.

Tom Snyder

liegekiller
10-29-2003, 03:15 PM
I uderstand that but I am telling you that the references I gave would not have given me a bad reference. If anyone came by the house to see my setup they would know that I am a good home. I have very good friends that know me very well. I don't see Colorado Reptile Rescue giving me a true answer or any other information so just take this post as what it is:

********A WARNING TO ALL********
********Buyer Beware************
********(Put in your own phrase)***

This site is suposed to be where you can post bad and good information to help others from making the same mistake. I am doing just that with this post.... Take it at that.... Thanks :)

sputnik
10-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Running a reptile rescue like CoRR is nothing short of a full time demanding job.... that you have to perform day in and day out AFTER you get home from you normal job!!

I have helped Shawna clean cages, feed animals, check on their heath at her home on numerous occasions as has Mark and Aimee and others. It's a hell of a job!

Russel, if it didn't work out, then just move on. Life's too short to be munching on sour grapes all day!

liegekiller
10-30-2003, 10:34 AM
Agreed... :) I am going to email them and apologize for going off like I did. I think that I just blew this out of wack and maybe I should just chaulk it up to a misunderstanding. Sorry all and have a great day :)