PDA

View Full Version : FIRE: Bad Guy

Tom Chambers
10-29-2003, 05:53 PM
If this is the wrong forum.......please move it as you see fit Rich.

I'm sure you have all seen the fires here in Southern California......I have lived here for 35 years (ALMOST all my life ;)).....and I've been through all of the earthquakes and fires over the years.......this is unbelieveable...........the fires continue to burn out of control and are so unpredictable, that fire officials are saying that this could burn through the mountains all the way to the desert.

I am lucky enough that my home is not threatened, but have friends that have been unable to return to their homes after being evacuated 4 days ago.....they don't even know if there will be a home to return to.

Sorry....this long winded post is just to say that if you are a herper in the SoCal area and have animals that are being displaced as a result of the fire....please let me know what I can do to help!

If YOU know someone that is in the affected areas and can offer help......PLEASE DO.

I KNOW THAT THERE MUST BE HERPERS PACKING UP THEIR COLLECTIONS........CONTACT YOUR FELLOW HERPERS.....WE KNOW YOUR MOTHER IN LAW DOESN'T WANT THEM THERE AND MAYBE WE CAN FIGURE OUT A WAY TO HELP.

Good luck to all affected by this horrible tragedy and thanks to fire fighters everywhere......we know you guys are just doing your best in a bad situation while you risk YOUR lives to save OUR lives and homes.

Tom Chambers
TC Reptile
tcreptyl@earthlink.net

gmherps
10-29-2003, 06:22 PM
post Tom!! Everyone in the way of this harmful tragedy, please give us a heads-up when you all are back on your feet!

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
10-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Well I've offered help to others already, and I certainly will help if I can...........but I am starting to get nervous myself. I thought I was well out of the fire zone.........but now I am pretty much surrounded. North-South and East. No flames here, but the smoke is pretty thick. I've been watching, closest fire is still more than 20 or 30 miles up the 15 from me. I still think they will get it under control before it gets anywhere near me, but as my 14 year old pointed out.........last weekend we were all sure they could contain them by Wednesday.

I just heard on the news behind me. We lost a Fire Fighter in San Diego today.

Tom Chambers
10-29-2003, 07:41 PM
So now they are GIVING their lives to SAVE our lives and homes.

My thoughts go out to these guys....many haven't slept or eaten for days......many have homes in affected areas.......many are now losing friends.

If it gets close enough Cheryl, let me know how I can help. I'm in the San Fernando Valley (about 5 miles from the Simi fire.)

TC

screamdreams
10-29-2003, 07:43 PM
Your generousity should be applauded. How refreshing it was to read your post, your concern for the animals as well as the people affected by all of this is a breath of fresh air to the community!! I'm sure we all feel the same!! Best of luck to everyone, and I wish everyone the best!! Let's hope these out of control fires will soon be over.

W.Wedeking
10-29-2003, 08:14 PM
Cheryl called me yesterday and offered incase the fire came this way. I am happy to say that we are still well out of range and would be happy to return the favor if need be. We have space at both office and home.

We have some friends that very narrowly escaped in San Diego. The fire stopped "right around the corner" from their house. They are without power and are scrambling to make accomodations, but they are OK and so is there house.

On the brighter side, it looks like the weather may be offering some cooperation as it has cooled off, cleared and the humidity has increased. In Temecula the air cleared up today so it is no longer raining ash and you can see blue sky.

Our thoughts are with those who are still endangered and those who have lost soo much.

May they find the arsonists and may they be drawn and quartered for what they have done.

Copperheadman
10-29-2003, 09:39 PM
This past weekend I notified the USFS and had my name put on the call up list to head out that way.I was in boot camp in SD,and remember some big fires while I was there.but nothing compared to this one.I know I'm new here and all,but I wish ALL you SoCal folks the best and wish you and your families to stay safe.If it gets much worse I'm sure that I'll be called to come help contain this monster.Be careful everybody,and hope for the best.

Glen Chapman

snkkpr01
10-30-2003, 07:15 AM
Tom you are one hell of a guy. I lived in Simi for most of my life moved in 1990. I know what those fires are like. At a time like this it is the real FRIENDS and PEOPLE not just warm bodies, that are proven. You are one in my book. Hope to do business with you some time.

Best of luck to all in SoCal.
And to the firefighters God bless and come home safe.

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
10-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the offer of help Tom. Sounds like your closer to the Fires than I am though! I am surrounded, but I'm surrounded at a distance!

You know yesterday Wendy said she saw blue sky, and I couldn't see any. But this morning I looked out and I can see some blue sky today as well (Little spot, just over the horizen, sure is nice to see it!) My kids and I are going to purchase a bunch of toothbrushes and toothpaste and give them to the Red Cross this afternoon. We figure everyone else will be giving food and Halloween candy........we decided to contribute some of those little things that are so often forgotten.