PDA

View Full Version : John Dineen (BAD GUY)

gotlizard
11-02-2003, 04:59 AM
Bought a sunburst female bearded dragon for $200. Was supossed to be almost 200 grams and close to breeding age with a little more weight gain breedable. I asked if he guarenteed her. He replied " Satisfaction Guarenteed" I then sent him the money. He shipped her the following week. She was shipped in the right box with heat packs but tied her up in a pillow case. That was my first concern. Upon looking at her she was very very thin. I can pull her skin up and see how malnurished she is. I got her home and she wouldn't eat. I tried warm soaks every food I could think off. I had been emailing him with everything that was going on. He wouldn't respond. She hadn't eaten in three days. I was getting really concerned. I started to give her hydrolife, then went and bought critacal care formula for insectavores. Day 4-10 now having to be tube fed. Doesn't have the energy to even move. Lays around. I have emailed him about 4 times with my concerns and wanting to reslove this. He will not respond. If anyone hear's off him ( also known as Johnny's Reptiles) becareful. He's out of Omaha NE. If anyone knows how I might be able to recover some of my losses here that would be great. But I think I'm stuck with a $200 rescue.

Pennebaker
11-02-2003, 10:21 AM
OMG. She does not look very good.
Definitely keep her as hydrated as possible. You might want to try some parazap--I think it will be more gentle on her system than any harsh meds and it might stimulate appetite. It sounds like you are doing the right thing.
Do you have this person's phone number? Call and email as much as possible. You deserve your money back. Not to mention I would be nervous if you have other dragons in your collection. Wash hands thoroughly and keep her isolated.
Best of luck.
Dana

To everyone, ask for photos before buying! Poor dragon. "$200 rescue" is right.

gotlizard
11-02-2003, 02:39 PM
I did get a pic. In it she looked fat and healthy. The one i recieved can't be the one in the pic. I sent him pics of the dragon upon arrival and he won't respond. I don't have his home number so I looked him up in the white pages. She is isolated. And seems to do a little better here and there. I've been using Flukers Critcal Care. But I need all the luck I can get. Please just beware of him. No one should have to go through this. It's too bad that some people can just be descent.

gila7150
11-02-2003, 03:28 PM
I would suggest that you get a fresh fecal sample to a vet ASAP. Keep her quarantined from any other animals and wash your hands thoroughly after handling her.
I'll be shocked if her fecal exam doesn't come back loaded with coccidia.
Thanks for the heads up on this guy...email him a link to this thread so he can tell his side of the story.

The BoidSmith
11-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Jasmine,

If I were you I would follow Chris suggestion. The only problem is that I highly doubt you will be able to get enough feces (if at all) out of that animal in her current condition. Furthermore, it seems you don't have the luxury to wait until she does, at the risk of loosing her. Are you in a position (money wise) to take her to the vet right away? Maybe they can get some samples with a swab.

Kindly.

Pennebaker
11-02-2003, 07:17 PM
I dont even think he needs a fecal sample! I'm sure she has a hefty amount of coccidia and probably some other nice parasites. It is probably dangerous to treat her with any of the harsher meds she needs (like albon)--she needs to get more food and water in her first. I suggested the parazap as it might be more gentle. But a vet visit and some subQ fluids might help.
What a shame.
Good luck
I'd fight him on this one. I guess we all need to now say, " can I have a RECENT photo--ie one taken in the past week"!
Dana

LeosAnonymous
11-02-2003, 07:55 PM
It's really a shame to see someone knowingly sell any animal in such bad shape.

I wanted to add something to the others advice in the way of preventing the spread of any possible parasites to your other herps.

A box of disposable latex gloves can go a long way in quarantine procedures. Washing your hands is a great practice, but we all know that you can't be sure you killed/washed away 100% of any pathogens/parasites. It cost about $40 for a box of 50 latex gloves, money well spent.

I've always been a bit paranoid when it comes to my reptiles, but you know what they say... better safe than sorry.

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix, I would hate to see something nasty make it's way through your collection.

LeosAnonymous
11-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Doh!...... that should read $4 for a box of 50 Latex gloves.

Sorry about that.

gotlizard
11-02-2003, 08:32 PM
the pic was taken oct 24 she still looks the same today

Pennebaker
11-03-2003, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry if I was not clear. I was referring to the photo the seller sent you prior to sale of a healthy looking animal, not your photo.
I think your case is quite clear.
Keep us posted if you hear from him. And definitely email him this thread.
Good luck,
Dana

Darin Chappell
11-03-2003, 11:04 AM
"I guess we all need to now say, 'can I have a RECENT photo--ie one taken in the past week'!"

Unfortunately, anyone who would sell an animal in such a horrid condition, would also have no problems sending you a pic of a different, healthier animal to get you to buy a sick one.

Most honest people suffer from the misconception that others are probably honest as well. That's really what the scammers all count on, folks.

gotlizard
11-03-2003, 02:29 PM
when I emailed him stating that I was interested in the dragon he took the post of kingsnake therefor I do not have the pic he posted. I have sent him this link. I'm taking skinny minny to the vet today so I'll post results tonight. thanks for all the concern.

gotlizard
11-04-2003, 11:44 PM
I wanted to let everyone know that I have taken skinny minny to the vet and her fecal exam came back positive. I was able to speak with John at his job where he apoligized for not getting back to me and that he had been out on business. He also stated how sorry he was for what I was going through. And gave me a couple of offers. He refunded just aout all that money I was out and she is mine too keep. I requested a certain amount of money and stated that if he agreed Iwould not hold him liable for anything else and that I would clear his name here. I'm very happy with the outcome. And would be happy to state that skinny minny seems to do better with have cc of baby food she recieves. Still needs to gain about 20 grams to be dewormed. I will keep averyone updated on her and would again like to thanks everyone for their help and would like to thank John Dineen for resloving this matter like a caring reptile owner. It shows that some people still care more for their name and the well being of what they sell over money.;) :D

Darin Chappell
11-05-2003, 10:49 AM
I am glad you got your money back, but I would be more than a little hesitant to call this guy "good" just yet. I mean he did represent the animal as being 200 grams, when he knew full well she wasn't. He picked her up and put her in the box, knowing that she was totally emaciated, and there is no way that any of that was a "mistake."

The BoidSmith
11-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Jasmine,

Just out of curiosity, she was positive to what? Did the vet gave you an idea of how heavily parasitized she was?

Thanks and good luck! :)

jenn_jeffery
11-05-2003, 12:30 PM
I was thinking along the same lines Darin, ANYONE who ships any animal in such horrible shape can't be called a 'good guy'.

In this case, the lizard was misrepresented, and quite sick, and is probably lucky to have made it through shipping.

He refunded just aout all that money I was out and she is mine too keep.

Just about all of the money??? Well, hopefully this will cover at least some of the vet bills you will incur with this dragon, and the dragon will survive through treatments.

As for me, after seeing the condition this dragon is in, I won't be dealing with John Dineen.

Good luck with the dragon though, and I'm glad you kept her and didn't stress her even more by reshipping her, and please, as several others have said, keep her seperated from all other pets for quite awhile.

gotlizard
11-05-2003, 08:01 PM
she had tons of parisites. the vet said she had slim to none chance of living but if i could get her to 200 grams then we could deworm her with albon. as far as saying he is a good guy, it was fair to state what was done and I did tell him that I would post the truth. She is well away from my breeder and pets. I would never have shipped her back. I basically paid for half her shipping and took her as a rescue. Saving her means more to me then the money did. Wether or not he knew the condition it's done and over with and she has a 80 percent chance at life. She's my baby know and will be forever. Thanks guys.

BrianB
11-06-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by gotlizard
...would like to thank John Dineen for resloving this matter like a caring reptile owner. It shows that some people still care more for their name and the well being of what they sell over money.;) :D

This has got to be the most WRONG statement I've read on this board in a very long time.

Anyway, good luck with her. Please let us know if she makes it.

gotlizard
11-06-2003, 05:48 PM
This is sad for me to say. She has past away today. I came home from work to find that she had given up. It hurt a lot to see her like that. Ireally thought she would make it. She was doing so well and almost at a safe weight. At least now she's not suffering.:bawling:

Laura-Lee
11-06-2003, 11:05 PM
I don't usally post but i just have to say that this guy very knowingly shipped you a sick animal, that very well could have infected your others, IMHO you should of been reimbursed your monies in full and then some for the vet. He out and out knew that he was misrepresenting what he was selling. I'm very sorry for your loss. It's terrible to have to lose a pet .

Laura-Lee Laberge

BrianB
11-07-2003, 02:44 AM
First, you have my codolences on the loss of the dragon. She didn't deserve to die and you didn't deserve to have her death thrust upon you.

Second, I'm going to suggest that you get an autopsy done on her to make sure she's not carrying anything other than the already diagnosed parasites. If you haven't already disposed of her, keep her cool, but do not freeze her, until you can take her to your vet. It'd be a real tragedy if any other animals in your home became sick.