PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Quarles, Bangor Maine (SHADY!)

Giantkeeper Reptiles
11-06-2003, 09:24 PM
Several weeks ago I sold a female boa to Dallas. When he received her, he said he was less than satisfied with her (stated she had a small respitory problem...moucous, weazing, etc) and wanted a refund.

Being in a situation where we could not possibly refund the money AND pay to have her shipped back, we made a descision to refund the full amount, and let him keep the snake.

I spent a good amount of time the day before shipping checking out the boa and spending time with her (we raised her from a baby (over 2 years) ). Everything checked out fine! I however, did not feel the need to have any problems with a customer, so the descision was made to refund in full and allow him to keep the snake.

Here it is barely over two weeks later, and he is selling her http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=8&de=161624

I feel like I was taken advantage of, and I wanted to cue everyone in on this.

I COULD be way off base with this post, but I feel like I was scammed!

Take care,
Chris McAra
Giantkeeper Reptiles

dqreps
11-06-2003, 09:42 PM
I just emailed you back. I think you should have talked to me first instead of trying to damage my reputation. Actually, i got the snake from you three weeks ago. I treated the animal with baytril and it has been more than fine for over a week and a half. I emailed you so i am not going to go on and on. You sent me an animal with a Upper Respitory infection and i told you i would keep it between us, no big deal, things get missed. I offered to send the snake back to you, i said i would send it back and you said No, keep it and you would take the loss. I said fine, i would treat the animal myself and go from there. As i told you, the animal was not on its death bed, it had a mild RI and i treated it. It is that simple. I have a right to do whatever i want with a healthy animal. Scammed? I was scammed but made no problems. I notified you immediatly and asked what you wanted to do and said that if you wanted to just take the sick animal back and give me a refund etc, that would be fine. You told me not to worry about it, you would just take a loss. Now it is my animal that i have treated and spent the money for baytril, vet etc and i cant do what i want with it not that it is recovered from over 3 weeks ago? I recieved on the 14th and started treatment on the 15, it has been over three weeks. Maybe you should have emailed me or called me before coming on here and making yourself look like a irresponsible business man.

Dallas Quarles Reptiles

E2MacPets
11-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Well it depends on if you think he bought it to resell and decided to increase his profit margin quite a bit by scamming you.... or if he is now knowingly selling a sick animal (or very very very recently recovered) and possibly scamming his customers.

Or just buyers remorse and an all out sleazeball for trying to make a profit as opposed to returning it to you...

Lots of options for why he could be a bad guy.... I'd like to here his side of the story before concluding anything though.

bpc
11-06-2003, 09:48 PM
I'd change shady to $hitty. 2-3 weeks and now the snake is good enough to sell. How much was the snake sold to Dallas for? And did you refund shipping as well? If so, and he has nothing in it other than a few shots of Baytril, then I think yall should at least split the $200.

dqreps
11-06-2003, 09:51 PM
I bought a bottle of baytril because i had none and took a trip to the vet. Chris, if splitting the $200 i may get for selling this animal will make you happy, i would be more than willing. This is hardly enough money to cause so much grief. Email me.

Dallas Quarles Reptiles

E2MacPets
11-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Whoops, that's what I get for typing my thoughts so quickly... I come across sounding like a jerk (which I am) instead of impartial...

I do feel that given how recently the animal was acquired, the original owner should have been given first shot at taking it back before it was put up for sale. However I do agree that the medical expenses need to be compensated for in some manner.

If you give someone a sick snake, it doesn't matter that you gave it to them for free- you are costing them money by placing it in their care and expecting them to treat it.

If Chris wants the snake back, I do feel he should be offered it in return for reimbursement of medical expenses on top of whatever shipping arrangements are to be made.

Otherwise if it is understood that the animal is now owned by Dallas, he does have the right to do with it as he pleases.

There, that was a bit more impartial, right?

Giantkeeper Reptiles
11-06-2003, 09:53 PM
I feel that the reselling of the animal, so soon, after the so called resp thing is an issue. I feel that she was not sick! I am definately not new to snakes. I feel there is a moral issue here. If she truly was sick, I will take 100% responsabilty for this.

I personally would also love to hear what Dallas has to say, outside of e-mails!

dqreps
11-06-2003, 10:01 PM
Yes a snake can be treated successfully in a couple of weeks with baytril if treated properly, easily. IF the animal is in the very beginning stages. This is done easily before the RI gets a little more advanced.

Second, i will do whatever Chris would like to do to make him happy. I dont want him leaving here upset with me for no rightful reason. I offered the animal back before, right when i recieved it. And i am doing it again now. If you want it Chris, you can have it. I just want to be payed for the shipping and baytril etc. I offered to do this in the beginning but you refused. Your call.

Dallas Quarles

Giantkeeper Reptiles
11-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Dallas,

This post was for a warning only!

You said she was sick, immediatly upon arrival, you asked for a refund, and offered to ship her back. You did all of this the way it should be done.

Now, on my side, I feel she was not sick, I was not financially in a position to pay to have her shipped back. Yes, I gave her to you. All of these things are stated correctly!

What I want, is not half the money! I want you to do the right thing (if actually she was sick) and take her off the market until you KNOW without a doubt she is 100% percent! That's what I want!

Winter
11-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Is there a possibility that we could see documentation from the vet's office showing the date that the animal was taken in, the diagnosis, and what treatment was prescribed?

That should clear quite a bit up and allow for fair discussion between both parties.

Regards,

Lauren Rost

Classic Dum's
11-06-2003, 10:34 PM
correct me if I am wrong but there was a thread on this guy a while back where 2 or 3 other people came fowarded saying the same thing. they sent healthy animals and all the sudden boom when he receives them they got RI. am I right on that?

The BoidSmith
11-06-2003, 10:41 PM
In my opinion Lauren gave an excellent suggestion. A scanned vet report is all what is needed.

Regards.

Casey Hulse
11-06-2003, 11:37 PM
Is there a possibility that we could see documentation from the vet's office showing the date that the animal was taken in, the diagnosis, and what treatment was prescribed?
This is beginning to look like your M.O. Dallas.

Dennis Gulla
11-07-2003, 10:40 AM
Yes, you are right Jason. As a matter of fact, it appears that regardless of who sells him a snake, that snake will be ill when he receives it.

thomas davis
11-07-2003, 11:03 AM
well like lauren said and a few others,,,,,lets see the vet report,time,date,treatment,cost,etc,if in fact it was sick and taken to the vet as dallas says it was he should have no problem producing the vet report????,,,,,,,,thomas davis;)

HerpVenue
11-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Wow,
I must admit...I did not read what anyone else has said. All I did was read Chris's complaint and Dallas's response.

WOW is all I can say.

I see lots of trends.
Gee I received a sick snake.......can I get a refund?
So many days later it is up for sale.

Remember the boas Dallas got from upstate?
Remember the boas that were having central nervous system problems?
Remember how he said he had videos?
and poof we get no videos......and only thing we see are the animals being sold as perfectly healthy.
I wonder what dallas did to cure that problem

then there were a couple others i will not really go into at this time.

all I can say is people send Dallas a SUPPOSEDLY "healthy" animal.
Then Dallas posts here that it is SUPPOSEDLY "sick"
then days go by and Dallas is selling it as the best thing since sliced bread.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25833&highlight=dallas
And the link above is Dallas complaining about his boas. He was complaining and having problems about their genetics. Only to turn around and sell them as being genetic.
he came here to complain that chuck torneta misrepresented the genetics of the animals. then on his ads he states that you can call Chuck Torneta to verify the genetics.

Chris i will tell youwhy he decided to keep it between the two of you and not post about it.
It is because it was going to be another one of those complain about it....then sell it as the best thing since sliced bread.
you should have taken a screen shot of his ad.

So where is that vet report?
So where are those videos of those animals that had the nervous system problem?
yeah that is what I thought.

HerpVenue
11-07-2003, 11:07 AM
Yes, you are right Jason. As a matter of fact, it appears that regardless of who sells him a snake, that snake will be ill when he receives it.

Either that or he has problems with their genetics.

then he turns around and sells them as perfectly healthy and or genetic.

Same ole dallas quarles........just a different day.

Casey Hulse
11-07-2003, 11:46 AM
This is obviously some type of scam you have been pulling. As long as the person refunds your $$ or some of it, or gives you the snake for free or what ever else you get for nothing, you will "keep it between us". That is nothing less than extortion. As knowledgable on reptile illness as you seem to be, you recieve a snake with a "mild R.I." and you rush it off to the vet? How much did it cost? $40 for the visit and $30-$40 for the baytril? I do not think so. You recieved a healthy snake, state that you are not real happy with it and wait to see what the seller will offer. Is he gonna take it back and lose $70-$80 for shipping? Or is he gonna send you some cash so "you will keep it between us". Are you a crook Dallas? If so you should be shunned by everyone in the herp community. You need to post an UNALTERED vet report and bill.

dqreps
11-07-2003, 12:42 PM
First, i do buy a lot of snakes so yes, sometimes snakes come in and they are sick and i treat them and then i keep them or sell them, whatever plans i have once they are treated is of no ones concern.

I am not a crook, the snake had a RI and that is it. I treated it and it is fine now. Like i said, just like any other sick animal, i treated it. This started over three weeks ago.

I dont personally care what anyone thinks, all i need for proof is my eyers. I saw the animal, you people did not. I did not start this thread so i am not the one that has to show proof of anything as i did not bring it on, nor do i care. How come Chris is not being asked for proof? And as far as the vet report, my vet does not give a "vet report" unless he is asked i would figure. The deal was done, why in the world would i ask for one? All i get back is a reciept that stated what i payed for, in this case baytril and some stuff to clean her mouth out good. It did not say anything about treatment on the paper, just teh type of animal, boa constrictor, age and what i got, above, like i said.

Ritchie this is the only snake i have ever bought and resold after it was treated. Upstate Exotics animals had problems so i just kept them and a friend took them off my hands later on. With Chuck, we just had problems that you cant even fathom. This had NEVER happened before so dont make it look like a pattern. Just because someone looses their mind and wants to come on here acting like i gyped them, with no evidence, well, what can i say, it is a free country.

Anyway, i am not interested in continuing something like this where people cant even open their eyes to see the truth, or even look at both sides. But i dont care because this is not my concern. I have a had a LOT of positive feedback on the BOI that far outweighs the negative, that is all that matters to me. Thank You.

Dallas Quarles

The BoidSmith
11-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Anyway, i am not interested in continuing something like this where people cant even open their eyes to see the truth, or even look at both sides.

The reason some of us were asking for the vet report is precisely to look at both sides. If you had a vet report that stated the snake had a URI that will show without a doubt that in fact you received a sick boa.

All i get back is a reciept that stated what i payed for, in this case baytril and some stuff to clean her mouth out good. It did not say anything about treatment on the paper, just teh type of animal, boa constrictor, age and what i got, above, like i said.

Don't take this as something personal, as it is not. I believe the request for posting the info is fair to both sides. Would you care to post at least that statement you have? Is it on the vet's clinic letterhead?

Thanks,

Casey Hulse
11-07-2003, 01:21 PM
I have a had a LOT of positive feedback on the BOI that far outweighs the negative,
I am quite sure the vet would provide you with a bill if you wanted it after the fact. The problem isI dont personally care what anyone thinks
How come Chris is not being asked for proof?
Proof of what?
Come on Dallas, you got busted, plain and simple.

JungleHabitats
11-07-2003, 01:28 PM
ok well personally i could care less if the snake had the running $hits. so i am not on your side or his side in this matter im standing on that line in the middle of the road.

I dont personally care what anyone thinks, all i need for proof is my eyers. I saw the animal, you people did not. I did not start this thread so i am not the one that has to show proof of anything as i did not bring it on, nor do i care

well you were the one that stated that you took him to your vet to get treated .

How come Chris is not being asked for proof? And as far as the vet report, my vet does not give a "vet report" unless he is asked i would figure. The deal was done, why in the world would i ask for one? All i get back is a reciept that stated what i payed for, in this case baytril and some stuff to clean her mouth out good. It did not say anything about treatment on the paper, just teh type of animal, boa constrictor, age and what i got, above, like i said.
I would look at finding a new vet or ASKING for something for your records to show that the snake you took in was the one you claimed was sick. the reason we do this when this happens is for just this such a event.Now granted you had no idea that chris was going to post your actions ... But if he had asked you for a vet report BEFORE you got your refund would you have not got one ? or would you have told him u just have a receipt for medicine?from the vet. Im sorry maybe Chris should have demanded a vet report on the animal this way he would have been for sure it was sick , and then you would have had a definate record proving it was sick ,that would have inturn appeased his needs to make him feel like he did the right thing by refunding the money and telling you to keep the animal.

Anyway, i am not interested in continuing something like this where people cant even open their eyes to see the truth, or even look at both sides. But i dont care because this is not my concern. I have a had a LOT of positive feedback on the BOI that far outweighs the negative, that is all that matters to me. Thank You.

this exact phrase here is what is killing the reptile buisness people just dont give crap about what someone thinks ... remeber Dalas while you may have many good posts how much good do they really do ... it only takes a few bad ones to keep people away from you. If i were you in the future when you get sick snakes in .. i would ask my vet to do more then just sell me meds w/o any knowledge of what or whom there for.. this would keep any further events like this from needing to be hashed out . and would make you look alot better in the eyes of your peers when you can present hard eveidence to back your claims up with.

Pixie
11-07-2003, 01:59 PM
I have absolutely nothing to do with any of this, have had no dealings with either parties so I think I can bring a relatively unbiased opinion on this situation.

I would understand the original seller being wary about seeing the snake that he just gave away because it was supposedly sick up for sale so soon after the "incident".

I also know from my experiences that when I go to the vet, I don't get a fully written report of what happened. The info is entered in the animal's file on their computer systems and I leave with a receipt that is fairly detailed. I would think that even just posting a copy of the receipt would show that indeed Dallas visited the vet's on the date in question and had a boa constrictor examined and prescribed baytril. Although it's not perfect evidence, I think it would show some effort until he could receive a full report of the examination in question by mail. I don't know any vet that won't offer this and you don't even have to waste time to go pick it up, I'm sure all would understand it's not fun wasting time just to prove something on a website.

I also question the fact that the animal was put back on the market after being treated for an RI. I would hope as a consumer, that when I purchase an animal that it is not JUST recovering from a sickness!!!

Just the fact that Dallas says he doesn't care what people think about him here. That's great for him, but he can be sure he's losing customers by saying such things.

I know I would never buy from anyone who said they didn't care what people think about them. That means they don't care what their customers think as well... What is to say that you wouldn't care about the quality of animals and/or service you provide?

I definitely want to deal with people that CARE about their reputations. It shows integrity.

Anny Harocopos

JungleHabitats
11-07-2003, 02:07 PM
I have said this before .....

1000 good deal dont mean much they may tell a few people
1 bad deal and the walk to the top of the mounain or maybe run and tell everyone.

now granted the light of this is you havent sold anyone a sick snake etc . but you have showed what and where your intentions lie when confronted with just such a situation.

think about what you do before you do it NOT after its done Dallas

PattersonRep
11-07-2003, 04:55 PM
I have done a lot of business with Dallas. I recently bought a nice male high pink Boa constristor and have had no problems. He is one of the most honest reptile owners/breeders I have ever dealt with. Quality matters with him and takes great care of his animals. If they need vet care they get it. I work at a pet shop and have treated baby boas that have had URI and a week later they were doing great, eating fine. Boa constrictors with a slight URI can recover very quickly when treated properly. What is being said here about Dallas is negative and slander. If Dallas got a sick animal and treats it and it recovers fully in my opinion it is the purchasers responsability to ask questions. Why would Dallas try to rip somone off? Why would he risk ruining his reputation for a few hundred dollars, for any amount for that matter. Once you make a deal you can do whatever you want with the animal. I know from my many dealings with Dallas that he would never sell sick animals.
Point is... Dallas is a good guy and not a "shady" character as the topic implies.

Jason Patterson
Patterson Reptiles

The BoidSmith
11-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Jason,

Welcome! It's always good to have new members sign in! :)

Boa constrictors with a slight URI can recover very quickly when treated properly.

No doubt about that.

What is being asked here is that he provides a copy of what he has from the vet (you know, date, prescription, vet name, etc.). Dallas stated he has a paper, from the vet (I would assume a letterhead or a prescription paper of some sort) with the type of animal, boa constrictor, age and the ATB he bought. I assume there will be a date in there to. If he provides that information, and it is thus demonstrated that the snake was sick upon arrival, it is Chris' reputation that is at stake here. Why not posting this info then?

Regards.

HerpVenue
11-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Well it is a long weekend. So I do have a lot of time to study as well as post.

So without further ado
I dont personally care what anyone thinks, all i need for proof is my eyers. I saw the animal, you people did not. I did not start this thread so i am not the one that has to show proof of anything as i did not bring it on, nor do i care. In other words he is back peddling. He claimed to have taken the boa to the vet. I guess now he will not show proof. BECAUSE HE DOES NOT HAVE ANY !!!!

How come Chris is not being asked for proof? OKAY. umm what kind of proof do you want us to ask from him?
Isn't it kinda hard for him to prove the animal is not healthy unless he has the animal and takes it to the vet?

Ritchie this is the only snake i have ever bought and resold after it was treated. Yeah you are right. There was no treatment for the snow boa that you sold. It was not sick.
You just cam e here to complain that it was not a possible blizzard. Then you sold it as such. You came here to say Chuck misrepresented the animals. Then in your ads you told people that they can call him for verification.

Just because someone looses their mind and wants to come on here acting like i gyped them, with no evidence, well, what can i say, it is a free country. Correction...he says he felt gyped. Not that he really got gyped. What evidence do you need. YOu claimed the animal was sick. Then he put a link to your ad as evidence that it was okay. But it MYSTERIOUSLY vanished. So no more evidence I guess.

We never saw the videos of your boas with the nervous system disorder. I guess we shall never see the vet report.

And as far as the vet report, my vet does not give a "vet report" unless he is asked i would figure. The deal was done, why in the world would i ask for one? All i get back is a reciept that stated what i payed for, in this case baytril and some stuff to clean her mouth out good. It did not say anything about treatment on the paper, just teh type of animal, boa constrictor, age and what i got, above, like i said. So what are you saying. Pick one

1. You do not have a vet report. All you have is a receipt

2. If you ask for a vet report. All you will get is a receipt.

If you pick 1. why don't you scan the receipt and post it.
If you pick 2. If you actually went to the vet and paid for a vet visit and actually bought some baytril.......I am 100% sure you would already have a receipt.

Sounds like Dallas is full of lies yet again

Giantkeeper Reptiles
11-07-2003, 07:34 PM
Maybe some of you are missing my original point of the post.

I outlined the details of this situation to point out the fact that Dallas is/was selling a snake VERY shortly after getting a refund in full (yes, shipping too) and me giving him the animal in question (why? I simply could not refund the moneys and pay return shipping).

Even if Dallas proves the animal is/was sick is neither here nor there. I immediatly handled the situation. And by no means, take this as I do not care, because I do! I have sold a lot of animals and they arent exactly cheap, so quality animals and happy customers are important.

I had a wierd feeling about the sale to Dallas from the beginning. I wish I had stuck to those feelings. However, it is usually the seller you need to watch out for, not the buyer.

Dallas was way to willing to sweep this under the carpet, and to add insult to the whole thing, he immediatly asked if I had more stuff to sell. Obviously I said no and that was the end of it.

I was livid to find out this so called sick snake was up for sale again.

The post was to bring up the fact that you cannot morally sell a snake a week or two after "recovery" it's BS and should not be done!

Also, to the gentleman above( PattersonRep Jason Patterson)
with the good guy post for Dallas, I hope everyone rereads this "If Dallas got a sick animal and treats it and it recovers fully in my opinion it is the purchasers responsability to ask questions"

What you are really stating is The seller does not need to say anything unless the buyers ask.... right? That is horrible business ethic!

All in all, what I am REALLY saying...lol.....is this;

If the snake is sick, you cannot ethically sell it, 1 or 2 weeks after recovery. This stuff needs to be monitored for several months, we like to call it quarantine.

If the snake really was not sick, then I was taken to the cleaners by Mr. Dallas Quarles.

dqreps
11-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Ritchie Luna

So what are you saying. Pick one

1. You do not have a vet report. All you have is a receipt

2. If you ask for a vet report. All you will get is a receipt.

If you pick 1. why don't you scan the receipt and post it.
If you pick 2. If you actually went to the vet and paid for a vet visit and actually bought some baytril.......I am 100% sure you would already have a receipt.

Sounds like Dallas is full of lies yet again

LMFAO, LOL. You really crack me up Ritchie. If you dont have the wits to understand my post, dont try to question it. I already stated that i got a reciept NOT a report, he does not give "reports", as i stated before guy. I suppose i could drive a hours round trip if i wanted to, to get a report, but i dont need to for anything, why would i? The animal is healthy as a horse thanks for my treatments with baytril. Although, it was only in the beginning stages so i cant take much credit i guess.

There is no eveidence of my having ANY wrong doings here Ritchie so please remain professional and lay off until you actually have something solid on me ok pal. I have always been honest with all of my customers etc and dont plan to change for anyone. So forget about it.

I just figured i should reply to your question and break it down for you, what i already explained before so you could have a better understanding. Peace out.

Thanks,
Dallas Quarles Reptiles

dqreps
11-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Giantkeeper Reptiles

If the snake is sick, you cannot ethically sell it, 1 or 2 weeks after recovery. This stuff needs to be monitored for several months, we like to call it quarantine.
If the snake really was not sick, then I was taken to the cleaners by Mr. Dallas Quarles.

LOL good one chris. This is very funny since i have had the snake since the 14th of october. Today is the 24th day i have had the snake, almost a month! Are you telling a snake cannot fully recover from a minor URI just starting out in this long? This part does not even matter, what does is t that the animal responded to the baytril and higher heat temps in a week and a half and was as good as knew at this point. She has eaten ferociously and been in perfect health for the last couple weeks. Sorry, but that is good enough for me and anytime i have recieved an animal like this in the past, it has proven to work for me always, with no complaints from the buyer purchasing the animal. Several months, give me a break? I give all my customers a money back gurantee and have not been taken up on it yet so i dont have any worries. Once again, it is up to me to decide wether or not the animal is back to full recovery and ready to put on the market. In this case, as well as any other, i was correct. I am going out of state tonight on business. I did not want to keep replying and will not now. It is hard, when misinformation is put out, not to post, but now that i will be out of town, i wont have a choice and this is for the better! Peace Out AGAIN.

Thanks again,
Dallas Quarles Reptiles

Giantkeeper Reptiles
11-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Well,....I guess you showed me!....lol

All you have done thus far is show that you are indeed very capable of being shady.

A boa can definatley get better in 1-2 weeks, but it takes much longer for them to fully recover.

It is definately your animal and you can do as you wish, I just wanted to warn my fellow herpers of the circumstances.

Enjoy your trip!

PattersonRep
11-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Response to:"If Dallas got a sick animal and treats it and it recovers fully in my opinion it is the purchasers responsability to ask questions"

What you are really stating is The seller does not need to say anything unless the buyers ask.... right? That is horrible business ethic!

What I am stating is Dallas is honest in stating any background information on the animal he is selling.

Jason Patterson
Patterson Reptiles

HerpVenue
11-07-2003, 08:23 PM
LMFAO, LOL. You really crack me up Ritchie. If you dont have the wits to understand my post, dont try to question it. I already stated that i got a reciept NOT a report, he does not give "reports", as i stated before guy.

I guess this means you can come here and say you have a receipt...then not post it.

Sorta like your videos of the animals with the central nervous system disorder.

The videos never materialized in ANYONES hand............except your mind.

You were the one that said the animal was sick.....so prove it and shut me up. Post the receipt.

Chris can't prove the animal was not sick.....the animal is with you.
All he can do is state his side of the facts.

You stated you had a reciept...so post it.

The BoidSmith
11-07-2003, 08:24 PM
Maybe some of you are missing my original point of the post.

Chris,

I don't think we missed the original point of your post. You handled the situation right by issuing an immediate refund.

Dallas was way to willing to sweep this under the carpet, and to add insult to the whole thing, he immediatly asked if I had more stuff to sell. Obviously I said no and that was the end of it.

Was this over the phone, or do you have e-mails to back it up? I'm no doubting your words Chris, but if it is not in writing it is difficult to accept it as a fact. If I had received a sick snake from you I would have never attempted to buy additional animals. But that's just me.

The post was to bring up the fact that you cannot morally sell a snake a week or two after "recovery" it's BS and should not be done!

In MHO it would be to early too. Some people might think it is acceptable as long as the snake is not showing symptoms. Again in MHO it was too early.

"If Dallas got a sick animal and treats it and it recovers fully in my opinion it is the purchasers responsability to ask questions"

Agreed. As a seller one has to fist determine if the snake is fit for sale and it's not going die or even risk other person's collection.

This stuff needs to be monitored for several months, we like to call it quarantine.

Agreed.

At this point I'm more of a buyer than a seller. It is more important for me to know who can I trust and who not among the people that sell on line. Posting at least the vet receipt will allow me to make a more informed decision.

Sincerely.

Giantkeeper Reptiles
11-07-2003, 09:46 PM
I saved e-mails from him, however, I checked, and it is only two that outline his disappointment with the animal and me saying that the money would be refunded.

I wish I would have had the forsite to save all of them.

Chris

The BoidSmith
11-08-2003, 01:18 AM
Chris,

Without written proof what you stated in the quote would be of little value.

..."Dallas was way to willing to sweep this under the carpet, and to add insult to the whole thing, he immediatly asked if I had more stuff to sell. Obviously I said no and that was the end of it"...

So far there is no proof that the snake was in effect sick. The only thing we know for sure is that Dallas has both the money, and the boa, which according to him, is now absolutely healthy and ready to be sold.

Options:

1. Dallas produces a vet report which shows the snake had an URI upon arrival. End of story.

2. Dallas returns the money to Chris and keeps the boa.

3. Dallas ships back (at his cost) the boa to Chris.

4. Everything is left "as is". Chris looses the boa, the money, and will never deal again with Dallas. Time will tell if the money Dallas made in this deal was worth it.

Hopefully there will be willingness of both parties to arrive to an amicable solution.

Kindly.

Giantkeeper Reptiles
11-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Everything is left "as is". Chris looses the boa, the money, and will never deal again with Dallas. Time will tell if the money Dallas made in this deal was worth it.

This is how it will be.

PBM
11-10-2003, 12:50 AM
I think it would be ethical for Dallas to send Chris back the money for the cost of the boa/shipping MINUS the vet expenses. IMO, if your not "shady" Dallas, this is what you would do. I think it is very unethical for you to get a FULL refund and then turn around and sell the snake for a PROFIT. You weren't selling the animal for the cost of the vet visit, so you could come out even, you were trying to make a profit. There is nothing wrong with making a profit, but there is when the other guy is out his animal and his cash. I doubt Chris intentionally sent you a sick animal, and if you feel it is alright to go ahead and profit from his loss, that overshadows everything written here so far in my eyes, and does present you as "shady" IMO. It all comes down to your morals I guess. Take care!

reticpaul73
11-10-2003, 11:40 AM
I'm so thankful for the BOI for this very reason. Regardless of the outcome this situation it raises many red flags with regards to future deals with Dallas.
I took a boa to the vet with a "slight" RI years ago and it cost me $150 for the visit and medication/shots. I received an itemized receipt that clearly showed the fee for the exam. I don't know of any professional vet who wouldn't charge or show a charge for the actual visit. And I think it's unethical to sell something that was previously ill without stating the animal's previous condition.
By the way, the vet will have a record of the visit as well as the animal's particulars. You have to fill out an information sheet before the vet will see the animal.

Paul Snyder

HerpVenue
04-25-2004, 10:59 PM
I rember dallas complaining about snakes with central nervous system disorder.
he says he had videos.
then we see the snakes for sale.

but no one ever sees the videos.

now we see dallas saying the snakes have RI
he says he has receipt from the vet.
then we see the snakes for sale
but no one ever sees the so called receipts from the vet.

looks like a pattern to me

HerpVenue
04-25-2004, 11:01 PM
how the heck !?!?!?

this thread is 5-6 months old.
how did it get on my screen and why the heck did I reply to it without looking at the dates.

sorry guys
but I guess what I said still goes