PDA

View Full Version : How do you heat your snake room/building?

BallsDeepPythons
11-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Well, my wife finally got tired of looking at the racks in the spare bedroom and made me buy a 10x12 shed to keep the ball collection in. While I do have some concerns (theft, loss of power, ...) I think everything is going to be ok. We live far enough away from people that there are no nosy neighbors and such, I am going to fully insulate it and wire it with plenty of power for heat, a/c, running the incubator, and all the heat tape on the racks, but I am not sure what is the best heating method. I hear a lot of people use oil filled radiators, my first thought though was a small natural gas wall unit. Then I think if I seal it up real tight there wont be enough fresh air. Then I was thinking about the quarts radiant cabinets that seem to be all the rage now.

Anyway, I am in Tulsa, OK and it gets pretty cool in the winter, teens at night usually 30s-40s in the day so I need some pretty serious heating capacity. So what do you guys do?

Focal
11-25-2011, 09:43 AM
I use a tall oscillating ceramic space heater like this one. It has a programmable thermostat that is pretty darn good.

http://cache.air-n-water.com/images/lasko-5568-m

blackfriday.tyler.
11-25-2011, 01:00 PM
use an oil based heater, it will not dry out the air. i heat my rep room to about 88-89 deg. oil based heaters are the best tho.

MrBig
11-25-2011, 07:59 PM
I would use a hydronics system. Small water heater, pump, PEX lines and a thermostat and you are done. By far the most efficient as you retain the heat in the water without actively heating it. With constant exposure on all four walls, this will be your most efficient option. As far as ventilation, you can build a small addition to the shed to house the tank and just run the pipe through into the shed. You could place wall heaters or radiators as your heat source. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

RobNJ
11-25-2011, 11:02 PM
I use a ceramic space heater to keep my room at 77-78. Works well, and heats very evenly. You could check into the EdenPure infrared Quartz heater though...those things are amazing.

deaconce
11-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm having the same issue. I have 50+ reptiles, my wife has decided that she no longer desires to have the zoo in our house. I have built a storage building and going through this now as well. Good luck in the heating/cooling area. I'm using a small fan pushed heater with built in thermostat, in combination with the built in heat in my racks my current reptile room stays at a constant 90 degrees. Its on the warmer side due to the bearded dragons heat lamps. Otherwise it would be perfect. You might want to see about putting in a window or two. That would help being able to open the window for fresh air when warm enough.

snakemansnakes
11-26-2011, 05:57 PM
I use the honeywell heater with thermostat combo and keep my room heated to about 80. I'm happy with it.

bloodrain
11-27-2011, 01:28 AM
I use an oil filled heater, works perfect and stays nice and warm @ 80 deg.

MrBig
11-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Seems most people are giving advice for how they heat rooms INSIDE a house. Not sure what the lows get to in OK, but most of those options would not suffice here in SWPA in a stand alone unit.

crookedantler
11-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Seems most people are giving advice for how they heat rooms INSIDE a house. Not sure what the lows get to in OK, but most of those options would not suffice here in SWPA in a stand alone unit.

:iagree: